Dongjiang Golf Resort Hotel

River walkwayRiver walkway

Chinese touristsChinese tourists

Steamed ChestnutsSteamed Chestnuts

Crown CaveCrown Cave

How long roughly should I be spending here?

by Yathushan.Sivarajah

In Guilin, I will be visiting the following places. I was just wondering how many days should I roughly be spending in altogether here?

Li River
Elephant Trunk Hill
Diecai Hill
Seven Star Park
Reed Flute Cave

by xymmot

Beautiful, a day is good enough for me, take a trip up the river

by Stepwalk

Rather than spending too much time in Guilin I would head directly to Yangshuo and base yourself there. 2-3 days would be good for Yangshuo and definitely don't miss the Yangshuo Impressions Show on the river at night!

by GrumpyDiver

You have about 2 days worth of activities there.

by lindyz

Hi there, I agree with everyone here, I recon 2-3 days is plenty. We had 3 nights in Guilin last September, and in hindshight, I thing I would have preferred to stay in Yangshao instead and do the river cruise from Yangshao to Guilin. Yangshao just seemed to have more character, smaller town and just generally nicer. But, I would say 2 nights/3 days is plenty.

by ellyse

Skip Guilin and base yourself in Yangshuo (http://www.yangers.com) instead. I would usually allow about 3 days.

Travel Tips for Guilin

Guilin in general is a big...

by l_joo

Guilin in general is a big city with 'only' a beautiful title of Number 1 best scenery in the whole China. Why I said 'only' is because this city has been heavily polluted by dirty smokes, litters and unfinished construction sites. You don't see anything natural anymore in Gulin but only commercials. I remembered we wanted to get a bus ticket from Nanning to Yangshuo but the counter girl selling ticket told me there's no ticket to Yangshuo but only to Guilin. I wanted to ask her again how to get to Yangshuo but there were many peoples queuing and she has no time to entertain you but I don't care, asked her again, she reply with her voice so loud 'Get a ticket to Guilin then get another ticket down to Yangshuo...!!!!' Because of this reason I have to visit Guilin, the ticket is RMB80 each, 10 hours' drive with excellent brand new bus without passengers' spitting and smoking. Anyway we reach Guilin at 7pm very easily found a cheap hotel nearby the bus station at RMB60 for 3 persons with bathroom attached. Before we check into our room, few peoples started asking how about the one-day-trip of Guilin? They offer one-day-trip to Guilin cost RMB15 each without entrance tickets.
Another one-day-trip is to visit Lijiang and Yangshuo cost RMB160 with lunch and boat included.

Education in Guilin

by maysue

The education in Guilin is so developed during the Ming and Qing dynasty that it is called the Zhuangyuan City. 'Zhuangyuan" refers to the scholar who obtained the highest score in the national examination, set by the emperor, during the late Qing dynasty period.

This Zhuangyuan will later serve as the government official and would have an opportunity to marry one of the king's daughters. Interestingly, I learned that during that time, the examination is categorised into 3 levels: village, province, and national.

Anyone who cheats or steals the examination papers would be sentenced to death. Hence, exams at that time are taken very seriously.

Along Zhonshsan Lu ...wild animal restaurants

by herzog63 about many

This tip isn't for the animal lover.....In 1987 there were many restaurants that came alive in the evening with cages of live animals stacked outside the restaurant that you could choose and then it would be prepared for you. I saw cats,dogs, many types of birds, small ratlike animals and some that looked like woodchucks. There are also many kinds of fish and turtles,eels etc...On the bright side you know that you food was fresh!!! I didn't eat at any of the restaurants as they were out of my budget!!! But I thought it was interesting to check them out. I wish I could have made some night photos but I wasn't traveling with a flash. In this photo you can also see the bicycle lanes that I talked about in one of the other tips.

Central Square

by tini58de

on our walk through the city center we came along the central square. there was a large movie screen, a parade excersise going on, people just sitting there (like we did, too) - a very enjoyable scenery!

Reed Flute Cave

by easterntrekker

The cave is on the northwestern outskirts of Guilin. It was an underground river six hundred thousand years ago. Chinese wonderful imagination made this cave more interesting than many others I've seen. Colorful lighting highlights the various shaped stalagmites and they are named Santa Claus or Tiger etc.. The last area it finally became clear why its known as flute cave....here we find a huge fluted organ of stone. Of course flutes are for sale outside and are priced anywhere from $1.00 to 5 for a dollar depending on your bargaining skills.

Comments