Guilin Osmanthus Hotel

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 70% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• maysue's Profile Photo

Simply as great as the Five Star hotel

Simply delightful and romantic experience! It's just along the side of the river and right in the heart of the city of Guilin. Lots of cheap shops in front of the hotel. By the way, I learned that Osmanthus is the city flower of Guilin, which is an evergreen plant that has a history of 10,000 years! It is said that the pollen had been discovered in the relics of Zengpiyan Cave of the Stone Age located to the south of the city. Hence, since then Guilin has been enjoying a fame of "home of Sweet Osmanthus" for a long time.

You can always take an evening stroll along the river; it's refreshing with cool breeze of wind greeting and whispering in your ears while you seat along the river bank and watch the world passed by. Caution: Can be smelly if the river is clotted with rubbish and you are not the only one that is having a romantic or sentimental time there.

Unique Quality: Great room and shower. Had a great view of river if your room is located facing it. Otherwise, it would just be the sight of the city or the hotel's back alley.

Directions: Along the river and at the heart of Guilin. Just ask any cab drivers from airport, train or bus station.

• BikkleYunker's Profile Photo

Not too pleasant, but I never really felt a threat

There are two parts to this hotel, the West wing and the East wing. The West wing is the more modern one, with a bright lobby and a receptive reception desk. But once you walk to the East wing, you will feel a little unsettled. Part of this may be from traveling alone, but it just didn't seem like a friendly area. My tour guide took me here after flying into the Guilin Airport (around 21:30) and the people sitting on the couch in the waiting room stared at me for a while. I had an argument with my tour guide, who asked for an upfront payment for her tour services, and I was not about to give her ___ amount of money right then and there, sans receipt or further tangible proof about her occupation. This man continually watched me throughout this ordeal, and heard what she was saying on the cell phone to her boss, so that was also unnerving. Well besides that, the place looked like it never reached 1980, the carpet was full of stains and there was "construction" occurring in the daytime to repair some nondescript concrete slab. The elevator was old and grimy, and the door to my room only had a key lock. At least the view wasn't bad, and I think the bed was comfortable, which is always a huge issue for me, as it takes me up to an hour and a half to fall asleep sometimes. Well, maybe I shouldn't complain: it was US$17 a night...

Directions: downtown...it's on the South side of the street

More about Guilin Osmanthus Hotel

Guilin or Yangshou

by DoeNut

I will fly into Guilin late at night and I have only one full day before I leave again. I came to float the River and see the peaks. I have a hotel reservation in Yangshuo but now I realize that I will need to take a cab for over an hour to Yangshuo to get to my hotel and then get another ride for 40 minutes to float the river. Then I'll need to drive another hour back to Guilin the next morning to catch my plane. I wanted to do a raft instead of a big touristy boat but I wonder if I have created a bunch of extra travel time for myself. Does anyone have an opinion about the logistics of this? Should I just stay in Guilin, float down and hang out with a tour in Yangshuo and return with the tour to Guilin? Is it too much work to try and get a good float in from Yangshou for just one day in the area? Thanks!

by ysheng

I feel that will coast much time....

Excuse me,i dont understand your problem very well...

can you just explain it??

by Lunaina

We stayed in Guilin and there are so many possibilities of getting a boat to Yangshuo, it is very easy, Guilin has good hotels (try Osmanthus Hotel) and the city is very nice, much easier for you if you are just there for the day, to take hotel in Guilin, take a tourist boat, visit Yangshuo, head back and in the evening walk around Guilin, see the lights, the pagoda's, and then quick way back to airport.

by DoeNut

Sorry to be so confusing and thank you so much for your help!

My question is: Since I am only in Guilin for one full day and two nights, is it a waste of my time to drive to Yangshuo to do a river tour. Is it better to just stay in Guilin, since I don't have much time?

by DoeNut

I will stay in Guilin. Thanks for your kind replies! My apologies again for being too confusing!

by ysheng

Hehe.....yeah...Its better to stay in Guilin then....
Just enjoy your time over there,i went there on my summer vacation in 2008,its really nice city....the water the tree..and the street at the night..

enjoy :)

by martybb

I think you will find you can take a boat down the river and the get a bus back in the evening. I assume your flight time will not allow you to stay overnight.

Guilin is a nice city and Yangshou has more of a village atmosphere so for my money I would go to Yangshou. Either way the scenery is great

by al2401

Yangshuo is great and worth a visit - some of the best scenery is around there - if you can do a day trip from Guilin along the river it would be worth your time.

by ellyse

I'd still just stick with Yangshuo.

Comments