Hong Kong Hotel Guilin

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 47% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Guilin

Entrance to Wang Cheng palace parkEntrance to Wang Cheng palace park

Relaxing on the riverRelaxing on the river

GuilinGuilin

New Year's FireworksNew Year's Fireworks

is it a good season to visit GuangXi in march?

by 9tigers

will it be cold? too crowded?
what are the must for me to visit if time is not a lot for us.
we will arrive on train from BJ to Guilin. prob stay for one night, then what do I need to go from there?
1) YangShuo first? stay 1 night or 2?
2) li river? do I do this before Yangshuo
3) longsheng

whatelse are the must? should I use bus for most of my traveling in GUangXi?
is it easy to buy bus ticket on the spot?

I CAN READ CHINESE JUST DO NOT TYPE WELL :) so U CAN ANSWER ME IN CHINESE

by Mikebb

I think so, easpecially in the earlier weeks. I intend visiting then. I believe the rain my come later in the month.

by SandiM

9tigers, I visited Guilin/Yangshuo on my first and second trips to China, the 1st time was in February. Slightly cool, not cold. Beautiful! The water level on the Li River was normal. Stay in Guilin 1 night, take the early morning river cruise to Yangshuo and stay maybe 2 nights there (go on a hot air balloon ride!). Your hotel can transfer you back to the Guilin airport or train station for a fee (not too pricey). Longshen was a ok for a daytrip. If you take one of the tours, they will stop in the village of the women with long hair (forgot the actual name!) which was kind of interesting, before arriving at the rice terraces. Most of the good stuff is in Yangshuo to see and do.

by barefootonbeach

It is a good season for Guangxi. March is not hot and not cold in Guangxi. But I'd rather visit it in summer so you can touch water or have a swimming somewhere. The li river is beautiful and there would be a regret if you do not have a touch with it.
There won't be too much people in March. It is really a good time to visit Guangxi.

by 9tigers

ty march it is :)

Travel Tips for Guilin

You have to take the Li River...

by dzni

You have to take the Li River cruise! It's absolutely wonderful to see the beautiful mountains surrounding you... the oddest ones you will ever encounter, like my picture above (of which I have a ton of similar photos). It's not uncommon to see Water Buffalo on the banks, and you may even see this beautiful little waterfall I glimpsed off to the side! I have a couple memories here, but thinking back, it was probably neatest when I was speaking with a local student, then about my age, maybe a year or two older. Anyway, just three of us left the hotel to look inside a Chinese bookstore (which is reminiscent of some of America's used bookstores). I obviously did not know Chinese characters, but I flipped through some books like I knew what I was doing! ;) A student came up and started speaking with me in English... I was startled by him just starting talking to me, but it really was an excellent experience! He was practicing his English with me, asking me if I knew Chinese, what I saw, how I paid for the trip (they don't hesitate to ask financial questions), etc. He then invited me to go to see his university later, although I unfortunately had something else planned at that time. I thought that was a pretty neat experience, something you have to get away from the tour to see!

Snake

by solopes

During the trip along the Li River, the crew tries to amuse the clients (and collect a few more RMB) with some local drinks. It couldn’t fail the liquor with the snake. I dont ’t know the price, but no one dared to taste. Well, if selling was the idea, the snake was not the best bet!

Cheap and delicious

by BikkleYunker about Guilinese Restaurant

The name on the business card said "Guilinese," so that's my name for the place too. Anyways, my tour guide took me here for breakfast, and actually Chinese is one of my least favourite cuisines (of course, that's US-Chinese food...), so I was a little hesitant to try anything. She luckily helped me choose a superb noodle/peanut soup and good dumplings (gyoza?). You pay with a small ticket here, which I didn't realise until after I sat down, so the cashier wasn't too thrilled about that, even though the meal in total cost just over US$1. The bathroom, which was in the back to the right, was no great shakes, but it served its purpose. All in all, a great introduction to an unfortunately short visit to China. Everything...when I see really cheap food, I try not to complain about it.

However, outside the restaurant, I went to buy bottled water at a vendor, and I was arguing the price of it. It was supposed to be a little less than 8 renminbi, but they tried to sell it to me for >80 renminbi...all of a sudden a small crowd watched this pathetic scenario...I just got fed up, gave them one of the bills and ran away. Ah, what little Chinese I do know could not have helped me there anyways...

Liu San Jie Garden

by sylina

Story:

Liu San Jie (Third Sister Liu) and her stories are very popular among the Zhuang people in southwest Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region.

According to the local tale, Liu San Jie was born in a village along the Liujiang River of Guangxi in the Tang Dynasty (618-907). She was not only beautiful but also good at singing folk songs. At the age of 17, Liu San Jie fell in love with a handsome young man who was also a good folk singer. The two swore never separate in their lives.

The peaceful happiness was, however, broken by a hooligan in the village who had been for a long time attracted by Liu's beauty. This evil man decided to take Liu San Jie by force. He got his chance on a moonlight night when Liu and her lover were sitting on a big rock at riverside to enjoy the beauty of the moon. Suddenly, a gang of hooligans surrounded them. Liu San Jie and her lover had no way to escape, with no hesitation, the couple jumped into the roaring Liujiang River, hand in hand.

The story has been made to movie and several versions music drama. Which is a symbol of Gui Lin. Nowadays, on the day of March 3, local people will gather along the riverside of the Liujiang River, organizing a folk-song competition to mourn Liu San Jie.

This Garden is Held by the famous actress who played "Liu San Jie" many years ago in the drama. Many folk entertainment /performance were held in the garden everyday: climb the knive mountai; step on the fire; cockfight; folk wedding; folk song singing race... all our male college participate the "wedding"... they had to carry the "brides" to the bridal chamber. We took a lot pics, they had to invite us dinner to get the pics and keep our mouths close... :p

Crossing the Li River

by Luchonda

Daily scenary on and besides the river.
The cruise takes about 5hrs - you will see the locals fishing or transporting goods by simple boats.
A meal is served on the lower deck but i decided to stay on top - not missing a single moment of this unique landscape.

Comments