New Century Hotel

New Century Hotel
Orbitz.com Travelocity AMOMA.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Guilin

Powerpoints found in all 4 Hotels in ChinaPowerpoints found in all 4 Hotels in China

Guilin - ChinaGuilin - China

cavescaves

Li River WaterfallLi River Waterfall

Trip to Guilin inJanuary

by Joycehoostyne

I have just booked a trip to Guilin with my 6o year old mother in January next year. I am just being told that January is a BAD BAD time to visit Guilin as the weather is going to be trementrously cold. I am beginning to regret my decision to book the trip and contemplating cancelling the tickets and loose all my money.

Can anybody give me some advice to go ahead or not? Being a first timer to China, i have no idea at all regarding winter and being Malaysian, we have no winter here! Will it be too cold to travel? can my mom withstand the weather? will we be able to enjoy the place since it is so cold? Please advise.Thank you.

Re: Trip to Guilin inJanuary

by Stepwalk

Joyce, given that you are Malaysian and don't experience winters I'm afraid you are going to be very very cold! January is the coldest month and the only good point is that there is little rain. You can see the monthly average temperatures and rainfall on this site, http://www.chinahighlights.com/guilin/weather.htm. I also feel that many places will be closed at that time so if it was me I'd re-consider moving the dates of your trip depending on how much money you will have to forfeit.

Re: Trip to Guilin inJanuary

by ellyse

Whether it's too cold to travel, whether your mom would be able to withstand the weather, none of us would know. I can only advise you to bundle up with the right clothes, and make the best of it.

Travel Tips for Guilin

The Reed Flute Cave

by Radiomom

I think it is called this as they did a concert here and they play the music from it -- the echos and the lighted stalagtites and stalacmites
are gorgeous. This is something that will be on a "China Tour" if you are on one -- and it is lovely. Certainly a worthwhile stop. Get out of your hotel and go to the night market. This is a lovely town and it is a joy just to wander the main streets to see people enjoying themselves.

Tons of bikes

by herzog63

In 1987 the bicycle was the main for of local transportation after the bus. There were special bicycle lanes on some of the bigger streets to keep the big trucks from running over the bicyclists. I'm sure it's changed quite a bit now though. In 1987 you wouldn't want to try going against the bicycle traffic as the crowds were going to work or again at quitting time!!

Small cafe in walking strret

by lindyz about Dont remember its name

We went shopping early, and having not eaten much breakfast in our room, decided to stop for brekkie in a small bar in Walking Street. The Chinese tend to call their shopping malls "Walking Street", I dont know the name of this street in Guilin, but it is the main pedestrian mall.

We had a toasted ham and cheese sandwich each and I had an iced coffee. Every time I ordered an iced coffee in China, it was always different! This one was super strong, so the caffeine content kept me going for the rest of the day! Cost for the iced coffee and the sandwich was only 30rmb = about $5AUD.

Seven Star Park

by xiquinho

This is the city's most popular recreation area, containing seven hills arranged in the shape of the Big Dipper, caves illuminated by coloured lights, the covered Flower Bridge, a delightful bonsai garden and a small zoo.

The Beauty Peak

by albaaust

Solitary Beauty Peak is located within the Jingjiang Prince’s City complex. The palace was the home of the princes who governed Guilin during the Ming Dynasty.

An English guide will meet you at the entrance and take you through the complex. As you approach the palace guards dressed in costume will open the huge doors and once inside there are various short, theatrical presentations of traditional dances. During the Qing dynasty the complex was converted into an examination centre. There is a display of this in the further hall and a simulation/drama of what it would have been like to sit an exam.

The beauty peak itself is at the rear. After a fairly arduous 350 uneven, narrow steps you get to the top from which you get a reasonable view of Guilin. Inside the Peace cave under the peak are 60 Chinese style zodiacal signs carved on the wall. Be prepared to be asked your age and shown your zodiac sign!

Truth is after going to Ynagshuo we realised that every town in the county had a "beauty peak". If you are lost/bored with something to do visit otherwise you'll see better in Yangshuo.

15 Yuan