Xin Gui Hotel

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Guilin

The Blues Brothers live concert in le FeitzThe Blues Brothers live concert in le Feitz

Ping'anPing'an

ALBERT BERGADAALBERT BERGADA

Li River UmbrellasLi River Umbrellas

train travel to gualin

by kelvin.north

I am trying to organise train travel from Guangzhou to Gualin and need to know what you actuall get with "soft bottom sleeper", do you actually get a private cubical or just a bunk with curtain?
We think we need to take the K36/37 from Guangzhou and would like to know if you need to change trains as I would have to that in the middle of the night. Also I saw a reference to someone taking the T38 from Guangzhou to Gualin however the time tables I saw seamed to indicate that the T38 ran from Shenzhen to guailin but didnt list a stop in Guangzhou. Can anyone give me any advice.
Thanks
kelvin

by SandiM

The reality of the soft sleeper bottom berth is that there is no curtain, no real privacy. There are usually 4 beds to a cubicle compartement, 2 on each side. Everyone sits on the lower bunks and then as night comes along, everyone jumps into their on bed and goes to sleep. The door to the compartment is shut for further privacy. You have your own private light at your head, if you need it. The T38 does go to Guilin without having to change trains, is that what you were worried about? According to the information I found at www.travelchinaguide.com (train search), it leaves at 7pm-ish, and arrives around 7am-ish. Stops along the way, but no changing of trains. Same with the other train listed there. There are only the 2 trains per day to Guilin from Guangzhou. Try to buy your tickets in advance from your hotel, if possible. They tend to sell out fast. umm, that's all I got for now! :)

by al2401

Sandi has said it all! The berths are reasonably comfortable. How many of you are travelling? If more than one it may be feasible to book the whole compartment - there is not a lot of room once everyone's luggage is in as well, even with the space over the corridor.

by ellyse

Both K36/K37 and T38/T39 are available in Guangzhou. The difference is that the latter starts in Shenzhen so I suspect most of the sleeper bunks will be gone. On the other hand, K36/K37 originates in Guangzhou.

Travel Tips for Guilin

Bloopers when taking photographs

by albaaust

I only realised this when I got home. Travelling through such breathtaking scenery you get so "blown away" as you click that you don't see the finer details!!

As you take the photos be aware of minute things which afterwards you'll be saying "I wish I had noticed that!!" eg some of my mistakes...other people taking same photo and somehow they end up in your photo which could have won a prize!!(and you cannot edit them out?##).....power lines....poles in the corner...not allowing for light/sun at the camera..

See my "beautiful photos"

In one of the shops we were...

by dzni

In one of the shops we were brought to in Guilin, they sold chops. Chops can be very tiny or very huge, basically stamps, made out of soapstone and carved with intricate designs on top. The stamp itself is actually carved into the soapstone, generally an ornate mingling of characters that mirrors your name and which is used to stamp any paintings you own. Anyway, I wanted the biggest chop I could find, which was quite beautiful on top, and they only came in pairs, which ended up being more than I was willing to spend. However, my teacher who was on the trip thought that we could split it between me and him, and that was much more economical. We each got what we wanted on the bottom (I got 'Shi Da Wei,' which most closely matches my name in Chinese). It was really neat because a couple hours later, when they were finished carving the name, he actually brought it up to our room in the hotel to make sure it was what we wanted! Anyway, I still have it sitting on my desk and it was definitely a worthwhile investment, for the sheer beauty of it, at any rate.

Typical Chinese restaurant

by Willettsworld about The People of Northeast Restaurant

I had lunch at the People of Northeast Restaurant where I had sweet and sour pork (with a lot of bone), a huge bowl of rice and green tea (which was free). It was a great meal and did the trick although it really was way too much food for me for lunch. Service was brilliant and fast, as it normally is in restaurants in China.

Moon Hill

by Katieswk

The highway from Guilin turns southward at Yangshuo and after a couple of kilometers crosses the Jingbao River. South of this river and just to the west of the highway is a limestone pinnacle with a moon-shaped hole penetrating the hill. Hence the name Moon Hill. With an elevation of 380 meters, the hill is 230 meters in relative height and 410 meters in length.

Over 800 marble stairs leading to the cave were completed in 1981, giving convenience to those who want to get a close view of the cave. The cave is about 50 meters in height and width, shaped like a semicircular archway.

Jingjiang Princes City

by yipsufen

Now it's the address for Guangxi Normal University. The Solitary Beauty Peak is just at the vicinity. Visiting this place you can see students attending classes. In the ancient days, this is the city for princes of the Ming Dynasty. Perfectly combining the natural landscape and historical sites, it is praised as a "City inside a city" since ancient time. The whole compound is vast with Solitary Beauty Peak, halls, bedrooms, gardens, lake and temple. The area is fortified with a wall of 3km in length.

Once you entered the front gate, you will be guided into a museum with some simple introduction of this place and all the princes in the Ming Dynasty.

At the foot hill of Solitary Beauty Peak, there's a Yueya Lake with small little bridge and a gazebo. Scholars of the olden days like to study here. There's also a monument commemorating Dr. Sun Yat Sen.

In the Qing Dynasty, Jingjiang Princes City was converted to be the Examination Hall for scholars who wants to gain a position in the Imperial Palace. Tourist will be required to sit for a mock-up examination in seprate cubicles answering four questions. Write your answers with the chinese brush and ink provided on the yellow colour exam paper. One tip for you while visiting this place: listen attentively when the tour guide is explaining. You will be rewarded if you pass the exam. You will then be given an instruction from the emperor and become an officer in the Imperial Palace. You will have the chance to undergo the ceremony with full costumes. Enjoy and act like you are in a movie.

Entrance fee is RMB20.