Lijing Hotel Liuzhou

No.32,Longcheng Road, Liuzhou, China, 545001, CN
Lijing Hotel
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about Liuzhou

"Fishing" out a small pot of soup from big pot"Fishing" out a small pot of soup from big pot

Steps leading to YuFeng ShanSteps leading to YuFeng Shan

Ma'an Shan at nightMa'an Shan at night

Ladies singing the hillsongsLadies singing the hillsongs

Liuzhou - what's it like?

by phil_uk_net

I am looking at some teaching English job options and one of the jobs is in Liuzhou in the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region.
I can't find anything about it here on VT and searching on the web all I can find is fairly formal information rather than actual accounts from real life experience. Has anyone been and can give me some idea what life is like there - especially as a foreigner? I have not been to China before and it is quite a daunting prospect even though I am sure it would be fascinating.
I've had a good look through Hailun's pages about teaching in China in general (great work Helen if you see this) but was after some info on this particular region.
Thanks!

by daarth

Look at the pages of loubess and joecooper.
I don't know if that is the right region though.... It's at least China LOL

by phil_uk_net

Hi Daarth - the pages are helping to give me a better overall picture of China but I can't find anything specifically on that region. It looks like Joe has been to Guilin which IS in the region but hasn't updated his page yet.

by daarth

You could try e-mailing Joe. I see he was logged on a couple of days ago. I actually thought he should have been back by now?

by phil_uk_net

Thanks - I have done. I was wondering what had happened to Joe. He used to be on the forums all the time a while back.

by FreeCloud

No more general knowledge about the city than you have already learnt (from internet, books or anywhere). But search on line with keywords 'live in liuzhou' gives me at leat the following:

Simple description of the city (a sister city of Cincinnati, OH/USA):

With names of three Americans taught English in Liuzhou (you may find a way to contact them):

Best luck, Lou is teaching in Kunming, she has a good experience HOW to live and teach there, so a good source of info.

Have a good time, hope you enjoy your time there.

by phil_uk_net

Thanks for the link Freecloud. I haven't made any decisions yet. Finding work in my first choice country (Brazil) is proving extremely difficult. China, on the other hand, appears to have a huge demand for English teachers.

Liuzhou: Here's what it's like:

by Confucius

I've been there. It's a rail hub in the midst of mountain and river scenery with a tad bit of karst topography.
It's about 175 km from Guilin/Yangshuo, the most scenic spot in Guangxi province.
Liuzhou is just an ordinary Chinese city but that will be fine if you have never been to China before and have no other more attractive options in China. Liuzhou is famous among Chinese for the production of wooden coffins and for being the hometown of legendary Olympic gold medal gymnast Li Ning. (His name brand athletic wear is a bargain in this city.)
The city's attractions are limited to the usual public parks and small temples, but more interesting excursions are available at White Lotus Cave (Bai Lian Dong) and the Miao minority villages in Rongshui county (about 120 km north) at Yuan Bao Shan.
I believe you would enjoy life in Liuzhou and it also puts you in good position to explore some of the most beautiful and interesting parts of China's southwest during summer vacation and upon completion of your contract.
Best wishes,
Confucius

Re: Liuzhou: Here's what it's like:

Thanks Confucius,
This is exactly the sort of info I was after. The option I have is to continue looking for teaching poitions as they appear, which they do frequently. I have been invited for an interview for the Liuzhou job so wanted some info about the city before deciding whether to accept.
My problem is that I know so little about China I wouldn't know a more attractive offer if it hit me in the face!
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge - appreciate your help.
Phil

by Catthay

Do you still need info re Liuzhou?
A friend of mine has been living in this area for several years. She runs a French organization promoting elementary school sponsoring in the miao mountains. i'm sure she can tell you a lot about the area/ people/culture.

by phil_uk_net

Hi and thanks for your post. I wanted to find out about the area with regard to a job offer that I have now decided not to go ahead with.
Therefore I don't need any information right now.
Thanks again!
Phil

by dahcky

hi,i am a senior 1 student in liuzhou.i donot know if you are the teacher who will come to my school cause there will be two more foreign teachers coming to my school.my school is called liuzhou no.1 railway middle school.it is one of the key schools in guangxi.its home page is:http://www.ltyz.gx.cn.
there will be an english introduction.by the way,we have already had a teacher from newzealand.
you can write to me if you have any questions.my e-mail is:felix_dahcky@hotmail.com
welcome to liuzhou.

Hi Felix,
I decided not to pursue this particular teaching position after all so I won't be coming to your school!
Thanks anyway .. Phil

by 26061980

Hi there,

I am currently living and working in Liuzhou and am only too happy to help with any questions you may have. This place is amazing, such a different culture but everyone is so friendly and welcoming. Its quite an industrial city but it alkso has many beautiful parts, mountains and the river. Please contact me at nikigore@hotmail.com if you have ANY questions

by joecooper

So, Phil - did you make it to Guangxi in the end!? Joe

by phil_uk_net

Blimey Joe, that question was posted a while back! Where have you been?! No, I didn't go eventually. I'm enjoying better things in Thailand at the moment.

Travel Tips for Liuzhou

Fish hill park

by dahcky

the folk song and the international fantastic stone festival are 2 thing that i want to introduce to you.The folk song in southchina came of Liuzhou.Now the people in Nanning,the capital city in Guangxi province borrowed the folk song to hold the international folk song festival.Why is the international fantastic stone festival held in Liuzhou?cause Liuzhou produce a kind of stone only can be found in Liuzhou.This kind of stone is nice.Some of them have character on them some of them look like something. The people in Liuzhou are all friendly especially the youth here.

A Ball of yummy....

by myspices

While walking towards YuFeng Gongyuan in the morning, we happened to see some locals crowded round a pushcart and as usual, being curious, we took a peek...wow! food! and it looks good. We saw the vendor scooped a big spoonful of the glutinous rice onto a plastic , made a hole in the centre of the rice and put all the yummy stuff into the rice and made it into a ball. We took our turn and keeping our fingers acrossed that it will not be sold off then as the portion on the pan looks like it is finishing. Luckily...we got our share in tasting this "ball of yummy"!

See another picture attached on "Ball of yummy" "Ball of yummy" consists of the following :-

*chopped szechuan veggie with meat*
* a spread of margarine *
* crunchy "yu tiao" - chinese deepfried pastry *
* a cut of the chinese sausage *

Price : 1.5yuan, with sausage, without it, it's only 1yuan

Have wheels will travel..

by myspices

It does not matter how many wheels you have .... two wheels, three wheels or more.... the load has to be transported. Incredible huge loads are moved here and there by all means of transports. Lots of 2 wheelers and 3 wheelers are used to carry heavy and bulky stufff - a common sight on the street.

Public Singing - great music!

by myspices

When you are in the park/garden and you happened to hear someone singing or playing the music, follow where it comes from. You will find that there are lots of public singers and musicians practising their talents here. You can sit and watch them sing and play the musical instruments in enjoyment. The singers will usually render the old traditional "hill songs" and the "orchestra" that accompanying her consists of the 'er-hua" player, the flute player and "saxaphone" player. Hearing these songs and music in the wide open garden and park really gives you a refreshing sense.

Liuzhou - there's Beauty in it ...

by myspices

"Mostly Industries but Seek, You will find..."

.....scenic spots and interesting walks along the town. Liuzhou, being a stop over for us before arriving Guilin from Nannning has proved to an interesting place to be for a day. We took the train from Nanning to Liuzhou, arriving Liuzhou at about 2.15pm. As usual, we stayed at the lodge near to the railway station. You can move around this city easily as most places are within walking distance - that is if you love to walk, otherwise, it is convenient to catch the public transport to all these places.