Near Shengdi Dock, Gaotian Town, Yangshuo County, Guangxi Zhuang, 541907, China

Booking.com Agoda.com Priceline.com

• SandiM's Profile Photo

Serenity amid the rice paddies!

My 72yr old mother and I just got back from China and stayed at a place called the Dragon River Retreat just outside Yangshuo along the Yulong River. Truly, it was fantastic! It wasn't expensive, and we have a lovely balcony overlooking the rice paddies (we booked the Twin Suite overlooking the YuLong River). It's a ways out of town, about 10 mins by vehicle and will cost you 30RMB each way if you hire a taxi (seems to be the flat rate, no one charged us any different). However, the hotel offers you 2 free trips to town if you wish (I think it was 2). They also offered to book tours for us, like a raft trip down the Yulong River (whoa, that was funky fun!), or a hot air balloon ride over the beautiful karst scenery. The rooms were a decent size and had a lot of ambience. They also had a restaurant offering both western food and chinese. Also, they offered laundry service! Free internet in the lobby! The bathrooms were a little odd, having the shower directly overtop the toilet, but I gather that is normal in some places. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable. I would definitely stay there again! The website is www.dragon-river-retreat.com.

Unique Quality: Room colors were a soothing Cherrywood and Green, hardwood cherrywood floors, huge balcony with table and chairs. Fridge for your cold water or brewskies. A/C available.

Directions: Gaotian Town area, YuLong River

More about Dragon River Retreat

River View Not bad

by soundchaseruk about Scenic River View Yangshuo

I moved here after finding the rather traquil and beautiful area around the Dragon River Retreat just too far for me from town, where I needed to be.

So one evening after having given a talk to a local English school at the Omeida College In the Park, I found this small but comfrtable and incredibly cheap hotel. At night I had no idea it was opposite the River so that was a bonus, and it was slightly away from West Street and all the late night noise.

Cost was 80 RMB which i was certain was a mistake but it was true. My room had a window looking at a wall and the hot water went missing on my last morning due to the boiler on the roof not being stoved up with coal. But I did get a hot shower eventually. Great location and friendly staff. Comfortable and clean.

No frills and basic but for 80RMB I could not complain.

Biking off Road in yangshuo

by soundchaseruk

Everyone goes mountain biking or on tandems in this beautiful area, and its a great way to see the countryside.

I hired a bike when I was staying at the Dragon River Retreat hotel and had a great time. On another occassion I rented a tandem to cycle with my new freind from the MC blues bar, Willow as we headed off south once again to find some interesting places and do some bamboo rafting.

It is not expensive and great fun. bikes can be hired easily from near the KFC in Yangshuo

Comments