Fawlty Towers Hotel

Fawlty Towers Hotel
Agoda.com Booking.com HostelBookers.com

Satisfaction Poor

• TravelurX's Profile Photo

Was excellent, is it still?

I have spent a few weeks at Fawlty Towers, once in 2002 and then again in 2004. It was less than 50Y in 2002 and 60Y in 2004 for a clean, AC room with TV and a decent bathroom. The staff was gracious, the place was professionally run, there was a cyber cafe/room. No real push for tours or whatnot. I think it was great value, but I hear that this year the atmosphere might have changed, but the thing that worries me is that someone believes that the staff ripped off money from the safe deposit box. I hope this is not true, and I have to admit that I still recommend the place for the charm of the family that runs it, or ran it a few years ago...

Directions: Oppo the bus station

• Best Avoided

I guess I should have known better when I was scouted out from the arriving bus. The guy at the counter with his poor English and lack of brochures or anything in writing wasn't able to get us on any overpriced tours. Instead, he just took our US currency from the safe.

The first day he tried to sell us on a bicycle tour where we could have lunch at his house. It was over 100y while bicycle rentals were about 15y per day. We tried to get information on the local bus that would travel down the main road passing by the major sights. He told us repeatedly there were no buses and offered us a 300y tour to some caves we were interested in. I continued to repeat, ?no local buses??, and asked how people got around, and he said taxi. I made the remark they would be expensive, he smiled.

We went to a cave that was going to require us to be in mud and water, we put out passports in a zipped bag with the loose pages facing down to conceal the US currency that wouldn?t be needed until we were back in the States. He put it into a plastic bag and into the safe. We decided to leave it there until we were going to depart. As we were hurrying over to the bus station on the morning of our departure, we discovered the U.S. currency was gone. Coincidentally, the desk clerk never greeted us after the lack of bookings, until a day after we put things in the safe.

The shower was in the same space as the toilet, which meant the floor and sink were both soaked after a shower. Since we would be departing for the day I figured this would be no problem, since the room would be cleaned and mopped right after showering. The commode had two push buttons on top. One flushed and the other stopped. The flush was so deep and hard to press; we left a pen to help.

Directions: Straight across the street from bus station driveway, up narrow flight of stairs

• jaymz_traveller's Profile Photo

Cheap and clean guesthouse-hotel!

Great little guesthouse more like a hotel! Very clean and staff speak a little English. Rooms are very big and beds are comfy, has a-c, tv, bath tubs, little free shampoo bottles plus combs and tooth brush, like a real hotel! And at only 60 rmb per double room, it's fantastic value!!

Unique Quality: Very safe, Has cheap internernet and provides guides.

Directions: near bus drop off point from guilin

Comments