Mingyuan Hotel

HostelBookers.com

Good For No Data

More about Yangshuo

water Buffalo - Li River - Yangshuowater Buffalo - Li River - Yangshuo

Locals pass the time of dayLocals pass the time of day

Paddy fieldsPaddy fields

Moon Resort, MoonHill VillageMoon Resort, MoonHill Village

Is it easy to ride motor scooter in Yangshuo

by Karen-Estelle

Hi,

I am reading the wonderful reports of Yangshuo and it seems that one of the wonderful experiences are when riding bikes or motor scooters. I have not ridden a bike since I was a kid so wonder if it is possible for someone like me to suddenly take up riding again:-) What about the elctric scooters? Do you need a special license, are they hard to ride, do you need any special talents. I am not on a tight budget so it isn't a problem the cost just whether I am capable and whether it is safe. Please give me some advice and where to go for the best and most reliable equipment. I am thinking we would be best to hire a guide so will think about that too.

by johnmperry

They're easy to ride. I don't know about on the road though. I can't recall whether I've seen any for hire there.

My friend Angie may be able to guide you. Call her on +86 13877378170 or angie2008_88@hotmail.com - she lives in Yangshuo but may be busy.

You can hire a bike for 10RMB a day (US$1.35)

by SandiM

I was just in Yangshuo a couple of weeks ago. Yes, you can rent either the gas-run or electric scooters (my hotel offered them for rent, too!). Keep in mind, the people driving those scooters go maniacally fast but usually can handle those things pretty well. I also saw one woman driving her scooter in the bicycle lane super slow. So, I think you should be alright. Contact your hotel and ask them if you need a special licence. I'm pretty sure you don't, but double check. Also, I didn't see ANYONE wearing a helmet (which is actually a good idea, given the drivers!) so keep that in mind.

by chinamonty

Please also bear in mind that what you are doing is illegal (petrol scooters especially) and if you have an accident YOU will be responsible no matter how right you are - foreigners are always deemed to be responsible. Overseas licences except from Belgium have no status in China and nor does an International Permit.
In Yangshuo I would just hire a bicycle or tandem (as I did). If you hire a tandem make sure the guide is on the front seat so toy can see how hard they are pedalling. I found riding the push bike was OK but then again I was used to Shenzhen traffic and had an idea how it "works". I hadn't done much riding since I was a boy but being relatively fit the 10-20k I did on the bike didn't take much out of me and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

by chinamonty

Forgot to mention - electric scooters are treated the same as push bikes so you don't need a licence for them. Some cities actually ban them like Guangzhou does as they are used by thieves for snatch and grab raids and also we used to refer to them as "whispering deaths" as you couldn't hear them coming up from behind you

by johnmperry

... especially at night, when they don't use the lights to save battery, and also ride very fast on the pavement (sidewalk).

Also of course, you can't take scooters the same places as a push bike, for instance down a muddy track to the water. And if you go for a raft ride, which I highly recommend, you can sling the bike on too.

I hired a mountain bike looking thing, which was a bit of a mistake, as it's quite heavy. Better just get an ordinary roadster, same as most Chinese use. By the way, if you're gonna be there more than about ten days, you can actually buy a new one for less than 300 RMB. Or you could negotiate a better hire rate.

by johnmperry

I'm just in Yangshuo now. I saw a board on someone's motor scooter offering it for rent at 80RMB a day. You could probably do better than that. Not sure if that was electric or not.

Travel Tips for Yangshuo

The lake (?)

by solopes

I didn't find out if we were in a hotel by a public lake, or if it was part of the hotel. Anyway, the integration was perfect, composing one of the prettiest spots of the city.

Lake, I said! But I saw the raft used at night with cormorants, preparing near the hotel. Now I think that it is really a natural or artificial bay in the river. Beautiful, anyway!

Dragon Back Hill Tunnel

by myspices

You will have to go through Dragon Back Hill Tunnel if you are travelling by road to Fuli town, Xinping town or to Guangzhou. This tunnel is cut through the hill and it's quite long. The tunnel is dimly lit by yellow lights. We went through this tunnel when we made our way to Fuli and also Xingping

Note of caution : When bus is going through this tunnel, beware of pickpockets on board. During one of the trips, we noticed that there was one pickpocket trying to slit open a bag of one of the passengers. There are usually more than 1person during this operandi modus.

Mosquito Repellent or Die!

by juliethai

Bring layers if you're staying for a while. Expect to be COLD in the winter and hot and sweaty in the late Spring through early Fall. They sell lots of fake North Face, Tommy Hillfiger, Timberland, etc. and it's cheap. Thermal underwear is a must in winter. Bring any medical supplies you think you might need. The availability and variety is very limited in China, so don't expect to find what you want. Bring your own antibiotic salve, ibuprofin, antihistamines, vitamins and any prescription medication you might need. The hospital in Yangshuo is BASIC, try not to get sick! Don't worry about shampoo, toothpaste, face cream, etc. It's all available. Bring your own mosquito net - very useful. Mosquito repellant is mandatory once the weather starts to warm up. Yangshuo has both large and slow mosquitoes and small and fast mosquitoes, all of which are VERY hungry. If they bite you, put on mentholatum (buy it at a local pharmacy). Take your own repellant, the Chinese varieties are very weak. The villages also have dengue fever and Japanese Encephalitis, both of which come from mosquito bites.

Hezhou - Fong's Tea Plantation

by yipsufen

This place has been made famous by the Hong Kong TVB drama titled "Country Spirit". It narrates the daily life of people in tea plantation. Once you step down from your buggy, you can spot a big feature board with the casts of that drama.

A narrow slope leads you the chalets on top of the tea plantation. Along the way, you can pluck some tea leaves and have your photos taken. The tea plantation here is for demonstration purpose only and not the actual plantation plot which is deep inside the national park.

Person in charge in the chalet will invite you to sit down and have a sip of their various kinds of native chinese tea. Do observe the fine art of chinese tea-making. They will slowly introduce you to their various kinds of teas. Eg: Golden Throat tea, Chrysanthemum and Oolong Ginseng tea. This place is a true relief for the tired legs. While savouring the fragrant tea, you can enjoy the greenery and fresh air here. Suddenly you feel so close to the nature !

Beer Fish - a regional specialty!

by tremendopunto

Try some BEER FISH in Yangshuo, it is supposed to be the Pride of this Region! And yes it is delicious! But the Chinese who accompanied me went to the kitchen not only to choose the right fish but also stayed with the cook to make sure that the chosen fish is really on our plates. I guess they know how things run.
By the way be carefull with the propane gas cookers on the tables. Suddenly the whole crowd got excited and ran out of the restaurant, but I did not understand what they were shouting. Anyway in these moments run with the herd! Later I found out that one propane gas hose ripped of, but they fixed it before something bad could happen and we could go on with the delicious meal. Beer Fish

Comments