No.28 Lianfengzhongxiang, West Street, Yangshuo County, Guangxi Zhuang, China

Yulong RiverYulong River

Around Moon villageAround Moon village

Biking & Hiking in Yangshuo

by SandiM

We are planning to stay at the Yangshuo Mountain Retreat Hotel. For our first full day there, we'd like to bike or motorscooter to XingPing to view the sunset (or some of it before it gets too dark to find our way back to Yangshuo!). I have been sifting through many websites touting the best way to go and timeframes but it's varies depending on which site to go. Has anyone done this route? Are there rice paddies along the bike routes? Where can I find info on renting a motorscooter? Can we take bikes on a boat in XingPing back to Yangshuo and what's the latest time they return to Yangshuo? And last: What's the likelihood of finding a public toilet along the way from Yangshuo to XingPing? (travelling with an elderly woman who needs plenty of rest stops!). Thanks!

by SandiM

Yes, thank you! Please confirm--the last bus from Xingping back to Yangshuo is at 19:00? We are going in September, so maybe sunset will be around 18:00 or 19:00 anyway. Will the bus let us put the bikes on top of the roof? We may not want to ride the bikes all the way back to Yangshuo (too tired!). Thank you again for your information!

by albaaust

Are you wanting to do this by yourself or will you use a guide?

We had a fantastic guide who could organise transport etc. I have put her details on my web page.
You might want to use other transport for what you want to do. have a look on my page for the mini mini busses you can hire.
Another place I thought was beautiful in terms of scenic shots is the view from Gongmong(?) bridge. the bridge itself is nothing much but the view...magic (again see my pathetic attempts...)

by SandiM

Alice, may I ask you where you stood to take that lovely picture of Shanghai that is on your China page? I want to do the same thing when I am there so if you have any details it would be greatly appreciated!

Which one Sandi?

by albaaust

Ok just had a look on my China page. The photo is easy...everyone will know this one...the Bund...its a promenade along the Huang Po River.

Very easy to get to...when we were there ..6 days...only on the last night..early next morning did the fog/haze lift..so make the most of it when it is clear.

by SandiM

I figured it was probably the Bund (we've reserved a hotel quite near there) however does it matter which area you stand at to get that clear and so well-composed a shot? I viewed a map and see that there is a little circular area near the top tip of the bund--does that sound about right? Also, there is construction in the area according to ellyse right now so I want to make sure in case I only have one chance to get it right. Thanks! Your photos are awesome!

by albaaust

I think we just walked up Nanjing Road until we got to the Bund and there are little "outcrops" where you can take photos. We are always lucky in that when we travel there are fewer people around wanting to take photos so we don't have to "fight" for a view!!

Remember when we were there however, it was smoggy for 5 days so you could not see much. The photos on the China page were taken at around 10.30-11.00pm!

PSSS

I can't take credit for the photos...most of them are my husbands...:)

by someonesmom

Hi, I'm someone's mom, who will be travelling in the same region. Just curious, when are you travelling? She'll be alone (her friend just backed out of the trip) and I'd like her to travel with others. She's 21 from Toronto.
Thanks, M

by jadeleo

it is too far by bike from Mountain Retreat to Xingping, you should go there by scooter, you can see a lot of rice paddies on the way to Xingping, you can rent scooter by hotel. It is hard to take scooter on a boat back from Xingping to Yangshuo, you should rent a small boat from Xingping back to Yangshuo. There are not many public toilets on the way.

by ellyse

Those "outcrops" are now off-limits as well, due to the construction.

Travel Tips for Yangshuo

Street food at night

by strollingfish

Take a walk around the streets at night. You'll find some street foods to have a try. This "Lao Yu" is special for kinds of sweet soups. I went twice during two nights' stay in Yangshuo. It's on a branch road from West Street along the lakeside.

Recommendations ....interesting to read

by myspices

In many of the restaurants along West Street, their dinning area will be hung with many, many of these recommendation notes and little , little drawings. These are written by people who have patronised the restaurants and have found the food to be good. They will write pieces of notes or do some drawings to express the goodness of the food. Some are quite funny and interesting to read. There are a few shops which really have the whole dining area filled with these little notes on the wall - looks like a good piece of wallpaper! Hmmmm...wonder how many of these are really written by customers..ha..ha..

A few things

by albaaust

You will need mosquito repellant - we were in Yangshuo during winter and there were mosquitos in our room!! Polarising lens in case it is misty - don't want to miss out on that fantastic scenery?? We always carry a small jug, cups, tea and packet soup so we can boil water when ever we want and have something warm to drink.

If you like reading you will need a portable reading light. few Chinese hotels had strong bedside lights.

Hezhou - Throttling Horse Waterfall

by yipsufen

There are two waterfalls in Gupo National Park - Gupo Waterfall & Horse Throttling Waterfall. Take a buggy ride from Xiangu Temple to Horse Throttling Waterfall. At the foothill, you can see several playful monkeys roaming around and a black bear encaged. It takes about 15 minutes' walk to reach the waterfall sightseeing area.

During the spring months, you can see water gushing down due to high precipitation. Taking a nice shot of the waterfall is rather difficult due to heavy water droplets splashing on the camera lens.

There are a few people dressed in minority costumes. Be warned that you have to pay RMB10 in order to have photos taken with one of them.

We don't have...

by yipsufen about Mei You Cafe

You will be wondering on the name of this cafe. Below is their tagline:-
We don't have warm beer, lousy food, rip-offs & bad service. So no reason to hesitate, come in !

Other than food, it also provides accommodation at the upper level of the cafe and tour information for your trip planning.

Opens from 7:30am to midnight. Why are you hesitating ? You should try the food here, no matter it's for breakfast, lunch, dinner, supper or snacks at anytime. It offers both western and chinese delicacies, such as spaghetti, fried chicken, fries and a variety of chinese dishes.

Comments