Yangshuo Mountain Retreat

Wang Gong Shan Jiao, Feng Lou Cun Wei, Gao Tian, Yangshuo County, Guangxi Zhuang, China

Agoda.com AMOMA.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Shellfishh's Profile Photo

Quiet Indulgence

Yangshuo Mountain Retreat is a wonderful, beautiful oasis of calm away from the hassle of Yangshuo town. It is situated on the Yulong River, a short drive away. The prices are slightly higher than what you will pay in backpacker land, but it is worth splurging every now and then. The food is great, the service pleasant at all times. The Retreat is a Green hotel with several policies to reduce pollution and waste.

Unique Quality: Gorgeous setting, nice clean rooms, the backdrop behind the hotel and the views from your room's balcony can not be beat.

Directions: Along the Yulong River.

• China's first sustainable hotel

We stayed at the Yangshuo Mountain Retreat in November 07 and had an amazing time. We were drawn to it because of the eco/sustainable practices of the hotel and of course its amazing location. The hotel supports the local culture and economy by only employing local staff. The staff are amazing especially Angel who is the receptionist. Although the rooms are basic the hotel has such a warm, friendly atmosphere we felt like we were back home in our own house.
    We would definitely recommend this hotel, the service was excellent, the food amazing and the location unbeatable. If you are looking for an authentic rural Chinese experience with some western comforts then this is the place for you.

Unique Quality: One word...Location! The views are incredible, set in the heart of the Yangshuo countryside a river runs just in front of the hotel and rice fields and karst mountains surround. A great place to explore the countryside as it's on your doorstep!

Directions: Approximately 15 min taxi ride outside of Yangshuo Town situated on the Yu Long River

• A place to relax, unwind and simply be

Situated amidst the awe-inspiring karst peaks and overlooking the Yulong river, the Yangshuo mountain retreat is an ideal place to escape the stresses of life, unwind, reflect and simply be!

This is one of those rare places that attracts all types and people. From middle-aged couples, families, back-packers and single female travellers (like myself), the retreat has something for everyone. I stayed here for 6 days, with the sole purpose of unwinding, which was much needed! For someone that is accustomed to trekking type holidays, it was a novel experience to spend so much time sat in one of the many rocking chairs alongside the river, gazing into the distance. I chose this place primarily because I wanted to stay somewhere quiet, in a tranquil setting within rural China. When I arrived, I was slightly disappointed to discover that the river was innundated with bamboo rafts ferrying tourists downstream. However, watching them drift by did become a source of entertainment and their presence did not distract from the beauty of the location. Weekends are particularly busy with the rafts running from morning to dusk.

Unique Quality: My first impression of the staff was that they are a courteous, friendly and helpful bunch, all of whom seem to have a certain pride in the ethos and day to day running of the establishment. The retreat exudes charm and is tastefully furnished in pine. I chose a family room with a balcony, which was perfectly adequate for my needs with Western bathroom and air-co, and at 400 yuan a night, was very reasonably priced. I found the beds rather hard but this was soon rectified by an additional mattress, borrowed from another bed (Incidentally, most Chinese beds are hard whereas I am used to very soft mattresses). I really appreciated the full length windows in the guest rooms, enabling fantastic views of the mountains and river. In addition, there was a private balcony with comfortable chairs to allow one to sit and relax with a glass of wine.

As a hiking enthusiast, this location is a haven with trails criss-crossing through the karst peaks and across the rice fields. There are trails leading to the famous moon mountain as well as a 1000 year old Banyan tree and numerous caves, which also provide a cool retreat from the sometimes, overwhelming heat. Remember, this is tropical country, so sun lotion, water and deet is a must. Try and steer clear of the main roads when walking as you will find yourself almost suffocating in a cloud of dust every time a large vehicle passes you by. There are so many trails that there is little need to walk along the road anyway. There are also great oppurtunities for cyclists to explore and the retreat provides bikes for a very reasonable price. As previously mentioned, there are also river rafts, which whilst are quite pricey, it is undoubtably a wonderfully relaxing way to view the countryside. These start at various points along the river, one of which is a few yards from the retreat. Remember that trips are one-way and so you will have to negotiate how to travel on your return leg.

It should be noted that the retreat is eco-friendly and supports local communities.

Directions: 2 hour drive from Guilin

• Yangshuo Mountain Retreat and Yulong River

We read about this place in a recent Business Week article and saw that it had been around a while and was also highly rated by western tourists. We flew from Hong Kong direct to Guilin and arrived about 10:30 at night. We came in on a scary gravel road and at night, heard the river rushing on our way in but could not see anything. The following morning WOW! We opened the curtains on our floor-to-ceiling windows and were stunned: karst peaks, the Yulong river, emerald rice fields and rafts drifting by. We had an excellent breakfast of coffee cake, western omlette and fresh juice. We started off with a hike through the nearby villages, the took off our shoes and crossed a weir on foot. We explored a nearby cave and at lunch at a village family's house, arranged by the retreat. Also very good food, much more than we could finish. On our way back, we got a bamboo raft and cruised back to the Mountain Retreat in style, where cold beers awaited us!

Unique Quality: We found the staff at this hotel to be the best of any we've encountered in China. Their friendliness and willingness to help us solve travel issues, even fix a broken backpack strap, was outstanding.

Directions: Head to the Moon Hill and turn right on to the gravel road before the Moon Hill bridge - there's a sign but you have to look for it. The Mountain Retreat is down this road about 1k.

• Yangshuo Mountain Retreat: Awesome!

We arrived at night which was a little spooky because this place is located out in the country on a dirt road with no lights! The Retreat is lit up with Chinese lanterns and we could hear the sound of rushing water along the property, though it was still pretty dark. The staff greeted us at the car though it was 1 am and they happily led us in and after a 2 minute check-in, got us to our room. It was a cozy, well-appointed space with a balcony. We liked the hardwood plank floors and spotless bathrooms.
    When morning came, what a incredible site through the big windows - huge limestone peaks and the rushing Yu river right outside. We enjoyed a cup of tea on the balcony and savored this amazing view.
    Breakfast was wonderful too, and the staff's English was impressive for young local village ladies. We lounged around in the bar which has a lovely reading area and walked through the paddy fields that surround the Mountain Retreat. We ended up extending our stay one day just because it was so relaxing.

Unique Quality: The Mountain Retreat has the most incredible views of any place we stayed in China. The staff are extremely well trained and good at handling special requests, ie; we wanted to bike up river and reserve a bamboo raft coming back, which they arranged at a good price. The local food they cook up is better than anything we tried on West Street, and the quiet of the place at night, with blooming osmanthus trees trees everywhere and the sounds are the river were just heaven. We whole-heartedly recommend this truly beautiful oasis.

Directions: From the main road, turn off before the big bridge (Yulong??) and head in on the gravel road about 2 km. It is the traditional Chinese building surrounded by bamboo and a high stone wall.

• simcard's Profile Photo

Hotel right by the river

My friend owns this hotel which is right by the river with gorgeous view from the balconies.. I was so lucky to stay there as I really felt like going back to the big nature there..

Unique Quality: english service; great views; western food as well..

More about Yangshuo Mountain Retreat

Dragon Retreat Yangshuo

by soundchaseruk about Dragon Retreat

I arrived in Yangshuo by local bus from Guilin, on the Monday of my second weeks holiday in China. I was dropped off in a main High Street and decided to hail a cab to take me to the Yangshuo Mountain retreat hotel which I had booked, and being 10 minutes out of town. Having just flown in from Shenzhen where there were millions of taxis, I found myself stranded with not a taxi in sight. A friendly man asked where I was going and he said "no taxis" but he could help. Here we go I thought, I an see a rip off coming. Well to be fair, his mate came along on his motorbike and offered to take me to the hotel for 40 RMB. Considering I had just paid half that to get from Guilin I wasn't too pleased, but hey, I had no option but to accept. On arrrival I knew I had no reservation (as I had arrived a day early) but luckily for me the newly opened Dragon next door was available, so for 220 RMB I was given a fantastic room with a view and the hotel was only 2 weeks old. Only 2 others were staying there. I didn't eat there but the staff were friendly and they had a good choice of breakfasts.

Clean, beautifully set and finished, this has to be a good alternative to the Mountain retreat next door, which was very busy. Great happy staff (they out-numbered the guests !!), good breakfast, lovely decorated nad large rooms; all new building, beautiful setting overlooking the fields and river in the distance; quiet, and serene.

As it is away from the town the choice is to mountain bike in at nights (although coming back on the un made road at night would be a bit dodgy) or they would provide a taxi service for their guests at 30RMB a time.

Do try this lovely place. It was the best i stayed in all holiday and compared to the Chungking Mansions (see my China main page) this was paradise

Nice to be off the beaten path

by TripAdvisor Member AndieSquamish_BC

The Yangshuo Mountain retreat was a lovely place to stay. It is not in Yangshuo town which makes it nice and quiet. The staff are exceptionally helpful. They arranged transportation and guides and had great suggestions for things to do in the area. The restaurant serves delicious local and Western cuisine.

One of the nicest things about the hotel are the other guests. Many of the guest while we visited were Westerners working in China. Many were staying for more than one week. In the evenings guests would get together in the lounge area and chat. This sort of interaction does not tend to happen in most hotels.

One should bear in mind that the retreat is more like an upscale backpackers than a hotel. If luxury is what you are looking for, look elsewhere. If you want to try something cozy and rewarding than look no further.

A look at their website is well worth it to see if this appeals to you.

Unforgettable days in this unique hotel

by TripAdvisor Member SolingenTravel

We stayed at the Yangshuo Mountain Retreat over Chinese New Year and it was absolutely fantastic. The hotel had Lion Dancers for the 7th of February and we could experience real Chinese New Year just outside the hotel.

We have already traveled a lot in Asian countries and the staff of this hotel could definitely keep up with the friendliness of Thai people. They will do anything to make your stay as pleasant as possible. If you have a problem or want activities organized they are very efficient and reliable.

The location of this place is breathtaking. Situated right on the river with a beautiful garden area. We had a Family Triple room. It didn’t have a balcony but the views out of the windows were still amazing.

The restaurant and bar area is lovely– all with bamboo and traditional decoration. Very nice and a style we have not seen before. They have a fire place which added to the cosy atmosphere. The food was delicious and the restaurant service very friendly and reliable.

We first discovered this hotel with their website online. The website is worth a visit it tells you everything about the activities you can do in the region and they even have a weather forecast page. As mentioned before all the activities they have on their website they can arrange it for you or advise you on. Especially Angel knows a lot about the region. We went with her father to the fishing village were she was born and had a fantastic day – we even went into their house on the roof to see the view of the ming dynasty village. Something you certainly couldn’t book at a travel agency in town

The rooms are basic but have a nice flair as everything is wood or handicrafts. The bathroom is not the best but definitely not the worst we have seen on our travels around Asia. If you are very fussy with bathrooms than this is not the hotel to stay. The rooms and bathrooms are clean but it’s not 5 star standard. If you don’t expect a 5 star luxury hotel with TV etc. but an original, cosy, relaxing holiday with the most stunning views than this is the place for you!

In total we felt this hotel was the warmest and most personal accommodation we have experienced in a long time. Excellent Staff, very good food (Chinese and Western) and a brilliant atmosphere with lots of other (similar minded) Westerners staying at the hotel.

Nice guest house, bit of out of town though...

by TripAdvisor Member bearpackers

After reading the hotel's website we were under the impression it was only 2-3km from town and we were able to walk or get cabs here easily if we wanted to go into town. On arriving we were suprised that this retreat is around 8km from Yangshou and is only accessable if you hire a car organised by the retreat and then get a tok-tok a couple of km's.

We were only at the retreat for 2 nights and most of the time we were out and about exploring Yangshou. The retreat has beautiful views and an amazing feel to it, and is definately suited if you wanted to get away from the world for a while. But if you want a mix of relaxing and going out I would recommend staying at the Paradesa which is on West Street in the heart of Yangshou.

The room itself was old and rustic, with very hard and uncomfortable beds. The bathroom was very basic and the hot water sometimes took 10 mins to come through the drains. The heating did not work so we hadto move to another room.

The restaurant downstairs served great and inexpensive food (the french toast was amazing). Staff were very helpful and Angel is truley a wonder (they have a pamflet in the room showing some history on all the staff and her storey is sad, but uplifting).

Overall, it depends on what you are after, but this hotel has a nice feel and is great for a retreat.

Comments