Crown Spa Resort Hainan

Spa and Resort Luxury Travel Food and Dining
See Amenities

Cheated for an extra 500$, sunglasses stolen

by written on July 9, 2011

My Family and i arrived at the hotel around 15.30, 21/12 - 2010 (Tuesday) and departed 28/12 - 2010. The hotel is in general god looking and is close to the beach.

BATHROOM PROBLEMS: One of the first things i remember is having some problems with the bathroom in my room. I called the reception for assistance, but because of the poor language skills of the staff my efforts was in vain. The first day of my vacation actually went by trying to get my bath room fixed.

LANGUAGE SKILLS: In general the staff at the hotel is not very good at English. After some days’ time it actually became kind of annoying. If you had any questions or just wanted to order some food in the restaurant, the person you asked just (nervously) laughed/smiled. Usually it resulted in nothing.

I got the feeling that this hotel don’t get that many western tourists. First of all because of the language skills, secondly the way the other people looked at you. You couldn’t go anywhere without people stopping and starring. This was especially annoying when you were sunbathing. The Chinese didn’t sunbath, but would still walk around the pool fully dressed.

SUNGLASSES STOLEN: On the 4th day i noticed that my 400 $ sunglasses was gone from my room. I didn’t really get mad, but at this point i was just tired. I went on this vacation to relax, but all i got was extra work. I chose not to report the theft simply because the reception probably wouldn’t understand me and i didn't want to waste any more time. After that episode all the stuff got locked in the suitcases when we left our rooms.

FEW ACTIVITIES: There where nothing to do nearby the hotel. You could however take a shuttle bus (30 min) to the nearby "big" city, where you were dropped off at a shopping mall. Apart from the Mall there wasn’t really anything else.
We went on a guided sightseeing tour the 3rd day, but like anything it was also in Chinese.

CHEATED FOR AN EXTRA 500 $: When we departed on 28/12 - 2010, early morning, we got the bill, which we had to sign. When later got home we discovered that the hotel staff had billed us for 3 nights extra, adding up to 500 $. We contacted them about this, but got no answer. We withheld the payment in the beginning but all we got out that where threats.

This vacation was anything but relaxing. Mainly because of all that extra work you had to do yourself and all the difficulties we encountered. On top of that, we had extra expenses that shouldn't even be there! That’s why i rate this hotel so low.

This hotel may be decent if you're able to speak Chinese, but if you’re a normal western tourist, i urge you to choose another hotel.

Got cheated for an extra 500$, sunglasses stolen

by written on July 9, 2011

Overpriced and poor location

by written on November 21, 2003

For a five-star hotel, this hotel was one of the most unsatisfying experiences we have had in China - and one of the most expensive!

The rooms were good (and they have interconnecting rooms) but the 24 hour muzak in the corridors was disturbing at night.

Fantastic potential....not realised.

Unique Quality: Loud - almost deafening - Cantopop and "Chinese children singing inspirational pop" music was all-pervading.
The staff varied fom the witless, clueless ("there are no tourist things to see in Haikou"), or patronising.

Everything - but everything - is subject to an extra charge (even the pool table in the bar!) and this soon added up. Basketballs, croquet equipment...they had it all, and charged for it.

The nice gardens were somewhat spoilt by a constant (morning, noon and night) procession of non-residents treating it like a public park. Our two children were harrassed by so many people wanting to take their photograph that they ended up staying in the room when we were not away from the hotel for the day. (We expect and have got used to 'photo requests' in China..we live here...but you expect some respite in a 5-star hotel)

Despite having vacant rooms lower down, we were put on a top floor, opposite a building site.

My wife required hospital treatment when she slipped on marble that had been polished and had been left wet with no warning signs. The hotel then tried to charge us (twice the going rate for a taxi) for taking her to the local hospital.

Directions: To the east of town - three kilometres as the crow flies, but a 45 minute journey by bus because the bridge shown on their map hasn't been built yet.

Nearby Crown Spa Resort Hainan

• Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Haikou Travel Forum

Need advice about Haikou, China? Visit the Travel Forum for Haikou and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Haikou hotel reviews