No.6 Luling Road , Luhuitou Bay, Sanya, Hainan, 572000, China

Banyan Tree Sanya
Orbitz.com Agoda.com Expedia.com

Costs 103% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• SERENE. Villas are outstanding, food less so

I am here right now, as I write this, and I have to say that I got what I paid for. That is to say- I got peace and quiet. If you want to party, and don't want to party in your exclusive villa, this is not the place for you.

For those of you that don't mind taking a cab 30 minute cab ride ($50RMB to Sanya City or Yalong Bay, etc.) to get some nightlife, Banyan Tree will be fine.

For you partiers, be warned- this place is QUIET and it's the only game in town. I mean it is exceedingly quiet. The resort is extremely peaceful and, bless them all, the staff here try very hard. It should be noted that I'm here in the month of May - the slow season - (May 2010) but I must say that they are extremely attentive.

Additionally, there is something to be said for getting out of one's bed, opening a door (if you'd even closed it the previous evening), and wading into water that is as warm as your bath water is back home. Stellar.

Now, sadly, on to the not-so-nice part: the food. It sucks.

I speak Chinese and I have been all over the world (Australia, South America, Europe, etc.) - and the food from Banyan Tree has been abysmal. I mean really, really crap food for the money you'll pay for it.

Worse still, the staff seems to have the strange ability to f*%k up every order given to them- in English or Chinese. We went to the Thai restaurant last night (they have a Thai Restaurant and a Chinese one but I'd be astounded to learn that it all wasn't coming out of one big kitchen) and the "Deep Fried Stuffed Prawns" turned out to be less-than-agreeable Thai prawn cakes. I didn't argue, and perhaps I should have, but I wanted to watch the sunset with my wife.

More about the food- "Chinese food" was really disappointing. I am American, my wife is Chinese. It is telling that neither of us enjoyed the Banyan Tree's "Chinese" food although, I must say, the dish tasted like the same dreck one might expect to get in Dallas or Cleveland.

To sum it all up- come here if you want to get away and relax in your own private villa. It's pretty amazing. Just make sure to go shopping for food first because there is no restaurant delivery service that will save you.

Unique Quality: * Peace & Quiet

* Extremely disappointing food (It seems pretty clear that they don't have a * True * Chef here or, if they do, he or she can't rally the troops to make good food)

Directions: Luhuitou Bay (Middle of nowhere)

Comments