Shangri La Hotel Harbin

See Travelers Recommended Hotels

Tags

Business Travel Family Travel
See Amenities

A water pipe bursted thus damaging all our belongi

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 25, 2010

A wonderful vacation turned into a nightmare. This is how I would describe our last day of stay in Shangri-la Harbin aggravated by the indifferent and callous attitude of the Management of the hotel. I am writing to you to share to your dear readers the sordid and harrowing experience my mom and I unnecessarily endured so that they may likewise think twice before checking-in at Shangri-la, Harbin, China.

It was supposed to be our last night stay on January 16, 2010. We were checked-in at Rm. 822, Shangri-la, Harbin. My mom and I decided to stay in the room of one of our travelling companions. We were part of the nine (9) person group from the Philippines organized by Adams Travel & Tours. On my way to our room and when he was only several meters away, I noticed that there were people milling outside our room. I got frantic and alarmed since our room was forced opened prompting me to run back informing me and the rest of our travelling companions to come and check it out and we were shock to find out that the water pipe in our room burst and the flooring of our room was flooded soaking mostly everything including our personal belongings which were inside the baggage lying on the floor.

All our clothes inside the baggage on the floor and personal effects were soaked with water except for the ones that we were wearing and we had to borrow the clothes that would fit us from our travelling companions. We were transferred to another room but we could not sleep anymore as we were tormented about our damaged personal effects. To make matters worse, the staff of the hotel immediately got our wet clothes without our knowledge in order to be washed but when they returned them the following morning, there were already stains on them and the smell was filthy.

Because of the damage to our clothes that got filthy and stained after they were supposedly washed , the botched extension tour to Beijing not to mention the inconvenience and mental torments that we underwent as a result of the harrowing experience, we requested the Management of Shangri-la Harbin to replace our damaged personal belongings. Sadly, despite their confession that it was their fault why our belongings were ruined as it was due to the defective water piping in our room causing it to burst thereby creating inundation, they claimed that they have already done everything for us under “Chinese Law” and they are under no obligation to replace our belongings anymore because they claimed that our clothes were already washed.

I have always associated the name “Shangri-la” with something “divine” or “heavenly” but I now only have the words “callous” and “impervious” everytime I would recall that word. The management of Shangri-la, Harbin, absolutely did not do anything to alleviate our condition making us feel that what happened is just the most natural thing that a traveler could ever experience. Let, therefore, our experience serve as a warning to would-be guests of n Shangri-la, Harbin. If you don’t want to tarnish your vacation in that place, better think twice in choosing that hotel for you might likewise end of experiencing the same thing we had made worse by the indifferent attitude of its Management.

I have attached a few photos for reference of the indicent.

As of May 25, 2010, we have not been reimbursed by the management for the damages incurred, and we have already lost hope. We appreciate any assistance on how we can still get reimbursed for the damages. I can be reached at +63906-444-8880 (Philippine number) or at cangeles74@yahoo.com.

Chris

Bob_Shan's Profile Photo

Shangri-La Hotel Harbin

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 13, 2007

Visited Oct 2007
At the time it is the only international 5-star hotel in Harbin, launched since 1999.
Good facilities and decoration, however the location is a bit far from city center, no any commercial outlets (stores, restaurants) around hotel, therefore, after 10pm, you have to take a 10mins cab ride to get a beer.

Directions: By the side of Song Hua river

walterwu's Profile Photo

Living It Up

by written on January 5, 2007

Alot of other tips are available on Shangri-La Harbin. I shall not be repeating it.

I booked a 42m2 room for 3 persons and was presently surprised the check-in was fuss free and the extra bed was already in the room when I check-into the room. Not only that, all toiletries are for 3 persons. Nothing to complain about this hotel.

Toiletries includes top grade razor, toothbrush and paste, comb, bath gel, shampoo, conditioner, etc.

Room has extended power 3-pins outlets (rectangular pins) and is different from the rest of other china hotel where the 3-pins outlets are v shaped. These power outlets comes in very useful in charging batteries which drains very fast in winter.

Only thing was that I could not locate the RJ-45 network cable. My serviced apartment booked in guangzhou had a RJ-45 cable in drawer.

Asked the staff and they can direct you to the best food, stores, attractions without problem. Pretty good and concise directions tips.

Unique Quality: Beyond description.

mrtrainer's Profile Photo

What good hotel!!

by written on June 15, 2006

What can I say. Good service. Ya expensive. You get what you pay for!!! Good food there. Nice disco. Women are married only there for the money. No single women. That is no good. Had a great massage with a happy ending. She turn the lights out. I hope it was her!!
Sure had a lot of phone calls in CHinese those nights all women wanting to sell me something.
The area was all good!

Unique Quality: Clean and exercise room was good. Nice Massages.

Directions: Ask the Taxies!!

Crowe's Profile Photo

App best hotel in harbin

by written on February 20, 2005

I never stayed here but i was told by the chinese that it is the best hotel in harbin.
A bit out of the main city, a taxi would be required to travel to the city centre (about 20 reminbi = £1.30). Perfect location for river and snow and ice world

calcaf38's Profile Photo

An Outstanding Hotel

by written on January 26, 2005

My Travel Agent booked me at the Shangri-La. I didn't realize it would be so elegant and so comfortable. The price was not so high that I expected superior service.

The Shangri-La car came to get me at the Airport, on time. My room was not huge but perfectly appointed.

The staff, especially at the "Business Center" was extremely helpful. The concierges are also super. Some of the staff speaks English.

Unique Quality: The Shangri-La breakfast buffet is outstanding. No matter how cold it is outside, you will be warm inside and able to skip lunch too!

Directions: My only reservation: the Shangri-La is located a bit far from "tourist" areas. It is better located for business I suppose. But taxis are affordable (about $2 a pop). The Gloria and the Moderne seem better located for tourists.

only 5 star in Harbin

by written on September 11, 2004

comfortable stay and homelike. the 2nd time i stepped into coffee garden for breakfast the waitress could recognize me as Ms Ge.

Unique Quality: nice scenery from the riverview room where Songhua river,highway bridge and riverside road together with the blue sky combine to a wonderful picture.
and as really nothing much to do in the city, just lying in the jacuzzi is an enjoyment indeed.

Nearby Shangri La Hotel Harbin

• Business Services
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Harbin Travel Forum

Need advice about Harbin, China? Visit the Travel Forum for Harbin and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Harbin hotel reviews

Disney Ice Festival
Heilongjiang Gardens and Museum
Harbin Zoo
Things to Do
Do not miss the ice sculptures
Russian Village
Pollution
Ice Festival
9th Harbin Ice and Snow World Poop
Things to Do
Harbin Ice and Snow World (9th)
No street fare
Bone
Change Your Brakes
Warnings and Dangers
California Beef Noodle King U.S.A.
Traffic
Russian Culinary Influence in China
Western/Russian
Sophia Church
Things to Do
Don't miss the... toilet? Thanks, MSG.
Germanic?