Weiye Business Hotel

Buses and Cranes, Cars and SkyBuses and Cranes, Cars and Sky

InsideInside

Urgent responses required!!!!!!!!!!

Hi!!!

I am leaving for China tomorrow! (so excited!)

If anyone can help me that would be great!

My husband and I will be in Harbin on the 10th, I need to know how easy it is at the airport? The whole time we are in China we will be picked up at all the airports and taken to our hotels by the tour company, but in Harbin we will be on our own.

We will have to make it from the airport to our hotel and then back again.

According to my itinerary, they advise to be at the airport 2 hours before the flight back to Beijing... is this true?

Do they really not queue over there?

by andrewvrobinson

Hi

I flew to Harbin from Beijing and back two years ago in 2007. As far as I remember the airport is quite near the town centre. You should have a map and the name of the road/hotel written in chinese to give to the Taxi driver at the airport I'd say, or ask the hotel to pick you up. On the way back remember to take into account the fact that all the ice and snow on the roads will slow down things somewhat.

Harbin Ice Festival is great, make sure you go to the three main parks, being the one in the town centre and the two next to each other on the other side of the lake.

Andy

Thanks Andy :)

We will be going to Zhaolin park, Sun Island, Harbin Ice and Snow world and the Siberian Tiger Park,..

Do you remember the airport being really busy and hard to queue up at?

by adair_zhao

Generally, it's not necessary to be at the airport 2 hours earlier. 1 hour is enough. But in the winter, if there is lot of snow, the road can become very slithery, and it takes a longer time to get to the airport. So, make sure you take the weather and road conditions into consideration. At the airport, people do queue, no queue-jumps.
Any way, if you will visit Harbin again in the future, you can contact me. zhigang.1@163.com
Best wishes!

by ellyse

I wouldn't arrive at the airport only 1 hour before, that would be too rushed. Check-in closes 45 mins before departure time, and you might still have to queue up.

by midgetswithguns

Thank you very much :) we had alot of trouble at the airport actually.. we went 2 hrs before hand and they gave us the wrong tickets, then we had to go all the way back and get new ones, I was glad I got there 2 hours before hand!

by ellyse

Always better to be there with plenty of time, rather than fret and worry about any last-minute problems. :)

Travel Tips for Harbin

General tip esp. for people with language problem

by ace1010

First of all, I would like to introduce this wonderful city to ya. I am born in Harbin, however, I spent my recent years in Shanghai and USA instead of staying home. For general information about this city, you can try the following link, which was frequently edited by me:

For pictures of this city, please visit the following link, which is my personal online gallery. The photos are collected online:

It seems that foreign visitors usually meet a language problem in their visit to Harbin. I will be back to Harbin at Feb, 2005 and stay in town for about the whole month. So if anybody is travellin' to Harbin at that time in need of a local guy who can speak frequent English. Please feel free to contact me at: lin000@gmail.com. I would like to help.

The best time to come is after X'Mas.All the exhibitions and performances will be on at that time. Try to avoid the first three days of Chinese New Year, since there will be nobody on the street. In local custom, people will select to visit their relatives and friends so no service is been offered at the time.

Please feel free to contact me if any help is needed.

Lin Yang. My lovely hometown.

The Dragon Tower - Part 2

by mke1963

Then a climb up a few more flights of stairs, which rather curiously were glass-fibre, like the hull of a cheap park rowing boat to a small gift shop (what else?), through a doorway onto an astroturfed platform 190 metres above ground looking out over the smog. We saw very little because of the pollution, but this was, unfortunately, the one day we were in Harbin that the sky wasn't crystal clear. Contrary to the photographs which show the platform to be clear of obstructions, the whole thing is encased in railings and chickenwire fence.
Returning inside, you descend to a lower floor, where there are displays of butterflies (why?) and fake Hollywood movie posters (why?), and a cool glass walkway around the circumference of the tower. The drop down to ground level from here - about 180 metres - is impressive.
It is possible to climb up to a higher level of around 230 metres, but we didn't reckon the smog would look much different from being 40 metres higher up.
Hit or miss? On a clear day, it would have been great. Our argument with the danwei at the entrance spoilt the visit, but it probably is worth it. Shrink your kids first though. Do pygmies and other extremely short adults get in at children's rates? I bet not.

Note that there are few restaurants or shops nearby.

No street fare

by John195123 about --

Many cities in China and around the world are made even better by easy access to all sorts of good, unhealthy street fare. Vendors behind questionably clean carts are just not as common in Harbin, which doesn't help the already dull culinary beat of this northern city. There are a few places, the vendors who gather outside the Carrefour on Heping Lu, and there are a few who sell you a hot sweet potato and popcorn, cotton candy or corn... maybe it's just too cold here, though the fruit and random item vendors still remain.

In any case, Harbin isn't the most inspiring city when it comes to food. And I maintain that in part that is due to a lack of vendors lining the center street, offering something unnecessary-yet-essential to the traveler and local alike.

Snow and Ice: Zhaolin Park

by calcaf38

The liveliest of the three Snow and Ice main locations. Because it is in town, it is a bit more crowded, and that makes it a lot of fun: Everyone is on their cell phones, or taking photos, or taking photos with their cell phones.

This is the spot for moderately sized ice sculptures, although you can climb inside many of them.

Harbin - Heilongjiang, PRC

by A-plus

"Cold & Crisp!"

I arrived in Harbin on Guy Fawkes Eve - 2004. From the get-go I realised; this Town would be a test of character for the Southerner used to temperatures of 25+ Harbin has a 5-month Winter, with the Annual Snow & Ice Festival the City's highlight of the year. Perfect for the Winter-enthusiast, although the coal-dust in the air keeps the snow from staying white for too long! See you around!

Comments