Covering an area of about 46,900 square meters, Guiyuan Temple is situated in the west section of Hanyang district in Wuhan. Being one of the four best temples in Wuhan, the temple, which was originally established by a monk named Bai Guang in 1658 in the Qing Dynasty, was initially built on the site of Wuzhangpu Kuiyuan in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644). There are more than 200 halls in the temple. Most of the buildings, Buddhist sutras, Buddhist Sculptures survived from the devastation of the Cultural Revolution. Among them are 500 gold arhat sculptures, that date from the 1820s, in the Arhat Hall which is one of main features of the temple.