Bayuquan Hotels

Our Members Say

• Voorloper profile photo Voorloper
  • Reviews: 1
Local Hotels.: Hotels in BaYuQuan.

Top Hotels

The best hotel in BaYuQuan used to be the "Gang Fung" (owned by the BaYuQuan Port Authority) but at the time of writing (late 2006) it was closed for renovation for "Upgrading from 4-star to 5-star standard". (In China that is usually a downgrade, as the only difference between 3, 4 and 5 star hotels in China is usually the price!). It is scheduled for re-opening in December 06/January 07. I have stayed there several times - the staff were OK - a bit stuck-up when I first met them, but quite helpful once I got to know them (but very few speak even basic English) and the restaurants were so-so (acceptable by the standards of small city hotels in China). Location is good, in the busiest part of town close to shopping, restaurants and what passes in BaYuQuan for entertainment.

The other so-called "good" hotel in BaYuQuan is the "Xin Hong Yuen". I have stayed there once, and that was enough. It is a bit remote from the busiest part of town, but there are shops and restaurants in the vicinity, and a restaurant and nightclub in the hotel complex and a basketball stadium next door. The Rooms are OK but otherwise it has the distinction of being one of the worst 5-star hotels I have seen in China. Lots of big hotel BS, but almost no service. For me it also has the distinction of being one of the few hotels in China where money has gone missing from my room. The fact that they use plastic spoons in the restaurant of what is supposed to be a 5-star hotel says it all. Considering the condtion of the "New"(Xin) Hong Yuen hotel, I did not think it worth checking out the "original" Hong Yuen (in town, near the port)

Medium class hotels.

Across the road from the "Gang Fung" is the "Wilson". Smaller hotel, modest standard, cheaper prices, rather dirty, and totally hopeless staff (No English, and don't want to do anything to help) I have not stayed there, but a colleague has, and says it is bearable. Some of the rooms have broadband internet, some don't (luck of the draw)

Another hotel which looks more promising is the "Nadia" - I have given it a look over but not yet stayed there. It's a small, modest hotel, reasonably handy for down town, not much of interest in its area. It has some nice small suites, but they face the main road and the windows can't be opened, so the standard rooms, facing the port, are probably a better bet.

Lower class hotels:

A while back I stayed at the Long Hua, near the bus station. It was simple but OK in those days (mid-nineties) and very reasonable in price, but I have been told it has gone a long way downhill since then. There are a number of other small and reasonably cheap hotels between there and the port, but I have have been told that they are all pretty grotty and not too great security-wise.

• Opinion of Price: N/A