Lete Youth Hostel

Jiancaixiang, 15-18th floor 5#building International Village Apartment, Xining, Qinghai, 810000, Chi
#1

See Amenities

My Experience in Amdo Tibet - Qinghai

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 23, 2014

Lete Youth Hostel has a number of comfortable lounge areas on the fifteenth floor of a building that is ten minutes’ walk from the city center. The staff can help you bus to Qinghai Hu, the largest lake in China, or one of two mountains that are steeped in Buddhist culture. The mountains are close, but the lake takes about four hours total to reach. Though a little far out, the drive is beautiful. Along the way you can see yaks, sheep and even wild horses on the edge of snow-covered mountains. The lake is an amazing shade of blue and it’s scale is astounding.

There are several awesome food streets and markets, one near Lete hostel amid two temples, and another beside the long distance bus station where you may depart for Qinghai Hu. Make sure you try the yak milk yogurt, a sweet citrus treat that you can find all over the city. I had it for desert after every meal!

If you’re lucky you can make some Tibetan friends like I did. My friend Norbu took me in and showed me some of the best barbecue and dumpling restaurants around the city. He is the owner of Tibetan tour company that offers special adventure tours of Tibet, camping and home-stays with Tibetan nomads and overland trekking tours in the most remote areas of the Tibetan plateau. He is a trustworthy and friendly man, who is eager to share his love of Tibetan culture and landscapes with the world and has over eight years of experience with tourism in the region. His website, http://www.adventuresintibet.com/, is the best in Tibet! I really believe he is committed to showing the best that Tibet has to offer in line with customer needs.

angiebabe's Profile Photo

Would love to keep coming back here!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 11, 2014

I stayed here for 6 nights in May 2014....Clean and comfortable....all facilities and amenities provided and in a new and comfortable style

My room with a double bed, desk, ceiling light and head board light, wifi, full window gave great views from my bed. Bathroom just outside my door between my room and the room across from me.

They were able to recommend a car and driver but also a local tour company Tibetan Connections were also on the floor above and one of their guides had a few days off so took me for 2 days of the 3 days I had car and driver day excursions.

Unique Quality: I enjoyed my stay here as I had an excellent view with big windows from my bed...overlooking the remains of the old city wall with its spring flowers....a great view at night too! My bed was really, really comfortable! and the bed linen had a great feel to it too!
Wifi was fairly good, drinking water tong machines both hot and cold were provided, was able to wash my clothes twice during my 6 day stay and any clothes I had wanted to wear again the next day had dried fairly quickly. Hot water for the shower took a while to come hot in the bathrooms but once arrived was a good temperature for a comforting shower after a long day.

The Lete also has a cafe and bar and does a good range of snack food such as pizzas, pancakes so makes a good meeting place for friends.

and very handy - the road its on is a major road through Xining. There is a very friendly couple running the shop 2 shops along from the Lete entrance where i bought water almost every night, they also sold the excellent local yoghurt and a few other things that i bought to have for late dinner or breakfast in my room such as bottled peaches that were great! There are several low and mid priced eateries just a few minutes walk and money machines about 5 to 10 minutes away.

Only 120 yuan/12 Brit pounds for my room - whether 1 or 2 persons in it.

Nearby Lete Youth Hostel

• Kids Activities
  • Free High Speed Internet
  • Kitchenette

Xining Travel Forum

Need advice about Xining, China? Visit the Travel Forum for Xining and ask our Answer Gurus.

Explore Deeper into Xining