Canaan Hotel

No.4 Red Cross Alley, Shangde Road, Xincheng District, Xi'an, Shaanxi, 710001, China
Ctrip.com Asiatravel.com

More about Xi'an

Year of the Tiger - Lantern Festival - Xi'anYear of the Tiger - Lantern Festival - Xi'an

Green bean cakesGreen bean cakes

Xi'An Muslim Quarter 6Xi'An Muslim Quarter 6

Xi'an - ChinaXi'an - China

Things to see and do in and around Xi'an

by MikeySoft

I can only get so much from reading guide books and the internet.
Being there is so much better.

What are the must things to see and do in and around Xi'an and about how much time is required without being rushed?

What are some other recommend things to see and do should I have more time?

Things to see and do in and around Xi'an

by Confucius

In Xi'an: Tang Dynasty dinner show, De Fa Chang restaurant dumplings banquet, and the Muslim Quarter.

Around Xi'an: Xianyang museum, Hu County folk art villages, Hua Shan mountain, and Fa Men Temple.

Hu County and Xianyang are both half day excursions. Either Hua Shan or Fa Men Temple could be added with an extra day.

Still more time? A journey northeast to the spectacular Hu Kou waterfall and the nearby village of Dang Jia Cun would be my suggestion if you would like a fun adventure off the beaten path.

by hawkhead

The Drum and Bell Towers, also the mosque and I strongly recommend a walk along the walls, both during the day and at night. There is an interesting area near to the mosque with a local market.

by clicky26

definitely the terra cotta warriors and the mosque.and also the wild goose pagoda.they have firecrackers show every night there, if i'm not mistaken.
1 spent about 3 days there and i think 4 full days is quite enough if you intend to visit only the famous landmarks of the city.
aha!~..the youth hostel which i stayed did provide the package of direct meeting with pandas in the wood.quite expensive for backpackers though.

by trvlrtom

You can't go wrong with any of the recent recommendations. We really enjoyed eating in the Muslim quarter. We had to guess a lot of what we were ordering, but were happy with what we got. Just be prepared for some hot, spicy food!

The mosque is also a must see. Schedule time to relax in the environment and take in the atmosphere.

by hawkhead

And the mosque boasts the only nearly 5 star loos that we encountered!!

by johnandlynclarke

Confucius- thanks for suggesting Hu Kou waterfall and DangJiaCun- I will start researching those places. Can you tell me more? Clicky26- Was the Panda meet and greet through the Leo Hostel? or ????

by clicky26

johnandlynclarke-i'm not sure about the name of the hostel,can't remember. but i think all international youth hostels in xian do offer that tour. why don't u take a look here http://www.hostels.com/en/availability.php/HostelNumber.13385

Travel Tips for Xi'an

NICE PEOPLE
The people I found...

by SirRichard

NICE PEOPLE
The people I found in this part of the country is very open to foreigners. Once I was wandering around a little village when I saw an old woman doing a manual work sitting at the door of her house. I stopped to look at her and she invited me to her house...

wonderful baozi

by chihiro75 about Muslim Quarters

We had the dumplings filled with different meats and soup, brought to you in a big bamboo steamer (?). Big tables which we shared with a Chinese couple who was very nice in trying to help us communicate with the restaurant staff, who was trying to understand our very bad Chinese. You dip the dumplings in a sauce == they are filled with soup so very hot , a bit difficult to eat -- and there was also a sort of porridge, interesting. Very cheap, definitely worth a visit. There is an English menu but which doesn't have everything although I think baozi is basically what they do, with different stuffings. It seems to be fairly well known among the locals for baozi

The Terra Cotta Warriors

by socrates_07

The 8,000 life-size, fully armed warriors who guarded the imperial tomb. It was founded by the First Emperor Qin Shi Huang (259 - 210 B.C.) in 247 B.C., short time after he was enthroned at the age of 13.

The mausoleum is in fact a deep and magnificent underground palace. According to records, more than 700,000 people were employed to construct it, and the work took 36 years to complete.

The Great Mosque

by nattybabe

The Great Mosque is one of the largest and fascinating mosques in China. It was established in 742 and rebuilt in the Qing dynasty and has since been heavily restored. It integrates Arabic features into a Chinese architectural style.

It is still very much an active place of worship and visitors are only allowed in the courtyards.

We did not have to cover up whilst were were in the mosque although we had brought clothes to cover our shoulders. This may change on different days but when we went we didn't have to.

Hours: 8am - 7pm
Entry: Y20

Shaanxi History Museum

by SLSong88

You must visit this museum. Here we can see the terracotta warriors up close. There was a long queue for free tickets (if you show your passport) when we were there. Luckily, I was able to "persuade" a guard to let me have two tickets minus the queuing.

Comments