132 East St, Xi'an, Shaanxi, 710004, China

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 46% less but rated 46% lower than other 3 star hotels

• lindyz's Profile Photo

Crappiest Hotel Ive ever stayed in!

On arrival at the Canaan International Hotel, we were initially disappointed as they were doing a lot of work on the outside of the Hotel, so it was barracaded up with scaffolding etc. so it was not nice to look at, plus it was pouring rain and muddy outside. Even on entering the lobby, we were further disappointed, as we could smell smoke straight away. I had chosen this Hotel, primarily because it was listed on most websites as being a "Non smoking Hotel", but clearly no-one was adhering to that! They smoked everywhere, in the lobby, in the elevators, in the corridors, in the restgaurants, in fact the whole Hotel smelt on smoke. Tracy and I dont smoke (she is a reformed smoker and I never have) and we do not tolerate cigarette smoke very well.

When we entered our Hotel room, yet further disappointment. It was very small, very old and very stale smelling. The bathroom was terrible, and the same day we checked in we had major plumbing problems in the bathroom when the pipes under the basin broke and we had water everywhere! They did fix it the same day, but we werent very happy. We asked to see other rooms to upgrade, but they were not that much better, so we just stayed there. Our stay was only for 3 nights, so we figured we would just tough it out!

Another major problem here was their supposed hairdryers! They did not blow actual air, but were more light a heat gun! The first day I used it on my hair, it actually burnt and singed my hair, so I was rather angry about that. George told them at reception and they then sent another one up to our room, but it was just the same. Tracy melted the bristles on her hair brush with the hair dryer. SO NOTE TO SELF - DO NOT USE THE HAIR DRYERS AT THE CANAAN!!!
    I only used their lobby toilets once, on our arrival. They were the most disgusting squat toilets I think I came across in the whole of China!

Also, the internet I used there was so old and slow that it timed out before my emails were sent, and so they were all lost.

We would NEVER stay here again and would NEVER recommend this Hotel, probably not even to our worst enemies. One day, while hunting down a cappuchino at King Coffee we came across another Hotel called Fortune Suites. We got a price list and agreed that if ever we were to return to Xian we would stay here! Fortune Suites is located at 8 South Street in Xian, so very central to main attractions and their room prices started from 580rmb per night up to 1280rmb for a deluxe suite.

Unique Quality: NONE AT ALL!

Even though we only paid $25AUD each per night to stay here, we would prefer to pay a little bit more for somewhere nicer.

Directions: Very close to main shopping area on East Street

More about Canaan International Hotel

Xian - our stopover to see the Terracotta Army

by lindyz

"Getting there ... and first impressions ..."

Our mode of travel getting to Xian was half the fun.

It was Tracy and mine first overnight train trip, and it will NOT be our last. Apart from saving heaps of money, we had one of the best nights sleep on our whole 3 week trip! So, I would urge anyone who has been contemplating doing an overnight train trip (anywhere in Asia - or the world for that matter) JUST DO IT!!! If nothing else, it will be an experience, either a good one or a bad one, either way, it will be something you will always remember.

On arriving at Xian Train Station at about 8.45am, we suddenly realised we were in a whole different world to Beijing. I think we were one of very few tourists at the train station, it was so overcrowded with Chinese it was very overwhelming. We didnt really know where to go, so we just followed the crowd - the crowd of thousands!!! I rang Mr. Liu, our guide who was picking us up, and he said that "George" was waiting to pick us up. Just one slight problem, it was pouring rain, we had no idea where George was, and several phone calls to George later, he finally found us outside the Station at KFC. It was obviously going to be easier for him to find us than for us to find him! George was a fantastic guide, he is the assistant of Mr. Liu who was recommended to me by Victoria (sugarpuff). George's real name was Pan Jiang Nan, but he said "just call me George!" He was very similar to Alvin, in that he was punctual, extremely knowledgeable, had a great sense of humour and spoke fluent english. I would highly recommend him to anyone seeking a guide in Xian.

First impressions of Xian were not that good. It was pouring rain and it seemed dismal and way overcrowded for us! Upon arrival at our Hotel, The Canaan International Hotel, we were even less impressed. This Hotel was possibly the worst I have ever stayed in, for several reasons which I will outline in my tip.

But ... our stay at Xian was for one reason and one reason only - and that was to visit the Terracotta Army - and that trip certainly did NOT disappoint us.

"Xian as a city"

We did not fall in love with Xian. Its difficult to describe this city, I just thought it was not a pretty city to be in, and I am pretty sure I would not return there again. I guess because we hated our Hotel so much, that we were simply counting down the days till we could leave and move onto our next destination.

Apart from our day with George where we visited the Terracotta Army, the Great Mosque, Muslim Quarters and the Small Wild Goose Pagoda, we did very little else in Xian. We did do a little bit of shopping, the prices here were certainly cheaper than in Beijing. But we also had one day where it simply poured rain the whole day, and trudging around in the rain shopping was not a highlight for me. On our second last day, we walked to the City Wall and entered at the South Gate. This day the sun was shining and we had a nice time just casually walking the wall for a couple of kilometres, definitely not the whole 14km around! The biggest difficulty on this day was crossing the HUGE roundabout to enter the Wall at the South Gate!!! That took us a long time to cross with many near misses - we simply could not work out any other way to gain access to the entrance.

"The Terracotta Army Museum"

Until you are here, and come face to face with this amazing archaeological discovery, you truly cannot fathom the enormity of it.

Most of us have seen pictures of it in brochures, as I had, but I was unaware as to the story behind this amazing discovery. Before you go into the Pits, you watch a short documentary, a re-enactment of the story of the Terracotta Army. I found this film extremely interesting, so if you go there, DO NOT miss out on seeing it. More details on the Terracotta Army in my tips.

Xian is worthy of a visit, if only to spend a day here and be truly amazed at their construction, destruction, discovery and rebuilding. It is an unbelievable place to visit.

PLEASE ALSO HAVE A LOOK AT MY ACTUAL CHINA PAGE, AS THERE ARE A LOT OF TIPS AND INFO ON THAT PAGE THAT RELATE TO CHINA AS A WHOLE :)

Comments