Canaan International Hotel

Average Value

Costs Less but Rated Lower than similar hotels

See Popular Hotels
lindyz's Profile Photo

Crappiest Hotel Ive ever stayed in!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 2, 2009

On arrival at the Canaan International Hotel, we were initially disappointed as they were doing a lot of work on the outside of the Hotel, so it was barracaded up with scaffolding etc. so it was not nice to look at, plus it was pouring rain and muddy outside. Even on entering the lobby, we were further disappointed, as we could smell smoke straight away. I had chosen this Hotel, primarily because it was listed on most websites as being a "Non smoking Hotel", but clearly no-one was adhering to that! They smoked everywhere, in the lobby, in the elevators, in the corridors, in the restgaurants, in fact the whole Hotel smelt on smoke. Tracy and I dont smoke (she is a reformed smoker and I never have) and we do not tolerate cigarette smoke very well.

When we entered our Hotel room, yet further disappointment. It was very small, very old and very stale smelling. The bathroom was terrible, and the same day we checked in we had major plumbing problems in the bathroom when the pipes under the basin broke and we had water everywhere! They did fix it the same day, but we werent very happy. We asked to see other rooms to upgrade, but they were not that much better, so we just stayed there. Our stay was only for 3 nights, so we figured we would just tough it out!

Another major problem here was their supposed hairdryers! They did not blow actual air, but were more light a heat gun! The first day I used it on my hair, it actually burnt and singed my hair, so I was rather angry about that. George told them at reception and they then sent another one up to our room, but it was just the same. Tracy melted the bristles on her hair brush with the hair dryer. SO NOTE TO SELF - DO NOT USE THE HAIR DRYERS AT THE CANAAN!!!
I only used their lobby toilets once, on our arrival. They were the most disgusting squat toilets I think I came across in the whole of China!

Also, the internet I used there was so old and slow that it timed out before my emails were sent, and so they were all lost.

We would NEVER stay here again and would NEVER recommend this Hotel, probably not even to our worst enemies. One day, while hunting down a cappuchino at King Coffee we came across another Hotel called Fortune Suites. We got a price list and agreed that if ever we were to return to Xian we would stay here! Fortune Suites is located at 8 South Street in Xian, so very central to main attractions and their room prices started from 580rmb per night up to 1280rmb for a deluxe suite.

Unique Quality: NONE AT ALL!

Even though we only paid $25AUD each per night to stay here, we would prefer to pay a little bit more for somewhere nicer.

Directions: Very close to main shopping area on East Street

• Bar / Lounge
  • Free Parking
  • Business Services

Xi'an Travel Forum

Need advice about Xi'an, China? Visit the Travel Forum for Xi'an and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Xi'an hotel reviews