Guangdian Network Hotel

The Terra Cotta ArmyThe Terra Cotta Army

Xi'an - ChinaXi'an - China

Photos at the Terra Cotta Warrior Site

by muffinnm

I see many photos taken inside the building area with the Terra Cotta Warriors. I have also heard that taking photos may be prohibited (although one photo said this restriction has been eliminated).

What risk do I run in taking photos of the Warriors? Will guards just chew me out, or might they take my camera? What measures should I take to ensure I leave with both my camera and pictures?

by ellyse

No problems taking photos, so shoot to your heart's content.

by 1Donna

You will be able to take as many photos as you want. We have just returned and have lots of great photos to remind us of a wonderful time in Xi'an. We also bought the book and the postcard pack which was signed by the gentleman whose is the last surviving member of the people who unearthed the warriors in 1972. Have a wonderful holiday, we loved it.

by MikeySoft

I took pictures in May 2007 and had not problems. Everyone was taking pictures and I did not see any signs where you could not.

Side note for other places:
Many chinese take pictures when they say no photos. So, when in Rome ....

2007 protest and arrest in Tiananmen Square

by MikeySoft

PS

I was also DISCREETLY taking pictures of someone being arrested in Tiananmen Square, also in May 2007. I believe he was trying to do what is in this you-tube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdMJjVoE1pU

However, I was not discreet enough. A policeman wanted to look at my camera. He could not speak English so I walked away and got lost in the crowd before he came close to me. I also did not see any signs not to take pictures of protests and arrests. :)

PPS
I have my picture of a soldier in Tiananmen Square I took shortly after the 1989 protest on my external page.

by albaaust

There is no risk as others have said. However, I recommend you make sure you have a good zoom on your camera as you are taking photos from a distance.You might also consider using a panorama facility to capture the sheer size of the area.

Travel Tips for Xi'an

MINGSHA DUNES - DUNHUANG
These...

by SirRichard

MINGSHA DUNES - DUNHUANG
These dunes are well-known in China. There is a legend that tells of a Chinese general and his army who were heading to the Western Regions when they decided to make camp at the base of the huge dune. The enemy discovered them and attacked the camp in the middle of the night. The army beat its drums to wake the troops, but as soon as the fighting started, a fierce wind came off the mountain and buried both armies alive. It is said that even today one can hear the beating of drums as the wind blows across the dunes. The name Mingshashan
means 'singing sand mountain.' Marco Polo had stopped here and referred to these dunes as the 'rumbling sands.'
Despite the 70 Celsius sand temperature, the extremely steep inclines, and the laboring steps through the sand, it was fun to climb to the top of the dune and walk along the ridge, but a bit exhausting. But the way down was MUCH FASTER: running down fron a huge dune is a big pleasure. I did it again recently in Namibia, in Dune 45, and I loooooove it.

Cheap,easy travel through China

by albaaust

We caught the train from Xian to Pingyao. It was organised for us by the guide through the hotel. Cost: 127 Yuan for a seat in a 4 berth cabin. Our train number was 1676. It left at 14.32 and arrived at 11.30pm in Pingyao. After getting a taxi to the railway station because we had soft seats we went to a special waiting area and were called by a staff member to board the train. On boarding the train we found that we both had top bunks in a 4 bed cabin. The girl who had one of the bottom bunks immediately closed the curtains and proceeded to lie down fully on her bunk. This was a signal that we should not sit on the lower bunk. We ignored her and stayed on the other bottom bunk until about 8pm Luckily, the person who had the rightful claim to the bottom bunk came on after Pingyao so we were able to look out (we opened the curtain on our side of the window) and get a bit of a glimpse of the country while it was still daylight. Our arrival in Pingyao at 11.30pm was quite surreal. (see Pingyao)

Wild Goose Pagoda

by ivinlau

One of the fairy tales in ancient China, where "Tang Sheng" actually brought his scriptures back from India to this pagoda to meditate. That's where he progressed to be a God. That was what I heard anyway!

Sentry Building

by Willettsworld

The Sentry buildings were built on the ramparts of the wall for guard soldiers to take shelter from wind and rain and to store weapons. Every 120 meters, there is a rampart which extends out from the main wall and each one features a sentry building. All together, there are 98 ramparts on the wall, which were built to defend against the enemy climbing up the wall.

Shaanxi Province - Map

by muddybok

When the first dynasty (and many more after that) was to be founded in Xi’an, Shaanxi Sheng no body will ever imagine that the shape of Shaanxi Province will looks like one of these kneeling archers.

This is amazing or what?

May be just coincident or Yin Zheng is Son of Heaven (a.k.a. king)?

Comments