No.319 Dongxin Street, Xincheng District, Xi'an, Shaanxi, 710004, China

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• JHarris88's Profile Photo

Excellent stay.

Chinese New Year 2010 - 4 nights

Centrally located with good sized, nicely appointed rooms. When we stayed the service was great (probably on the count that there weren't too many people there). A nice selection of restaurants and the hotel bar had a very cool live band.

Most of the city attractions area short walk (or taxi ride) away. Definitely worth staying there.

• Bob_Shan's Profile Photo

Sofitel Xian On Renmin Square

New and luxury facility, located in the very center of the city.

However staffs are not very friendly and helpful, seems very "French". Service is a big mess, e.g., check-in process almost took forever, in breakfast hot milk is no where to be found, ...

Anyway, this is a French hotel

Unique Quality: Locate in Remin square

Directions: Remin square

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

A very nice hotel in central Xi'an

The Sofitel is one of Xi'an's best hotels. It is about a block away from the provincial headquarters building on Renmin Square, and is part of a complex of hotels that were formerly used to house visiting party officials and dignitaries. The hotel has two wings. One wing features an indoor pool, a heathclub, and an Italian restaurant. The other wing has a Japanese restaurant and a Moroccan restaurant. The Italian restaurant also served as the location for the breakfast buffet each morning.

The hotel's two wings are connected by a 100-meter long underground hallway that doubles as an art gallery. The rooms in the hotel are very nice. Our bathroom had both a shower and a tub, and there was a lot of marble. The bed was comfortable, and the room had a number of chairs to sit on. While there weren't very many children staying in the hotel, they were very nice to our 7-year old daughter during our stay.

One quirk with this hotel is that they turn off the heat after a certain date each spring. One of the nights that we were there (in April) got rather cool and our room got did too. We had to get the housekeeping staff to bring a space heater to our room to heat it back up.

Directions: Adjacent to Renmin Square in central Xi'an

More about Sofitel Xian On Renmin Square

Loved this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Usham

This hotel is fantastic. We were only here for one night but wish we could've stayed for longer. We were upgraded on arrival (not sure why) and got this fantastic room that was huge. It had a living area and desk. A very comfortable king size bed and a luxurious bathroom. It came with a view of the main street below where you could sit on the window seat.

The service here is brilliant we called down for someone to fix our safe and they came up within minutes.

The hotel is divided in two parts East and West. We were in the west part of the building but had to go to he east part for breakfast, the health club and spa, the bar and cake shop.

There is a wide variety of choice for breakfast both western and chinese is available. You should definitely visit the cake shop.

I would definitly stay at this hotel again.

Not a 5 star hotel

by TripAdvisor Member tcrb04a

We stayed at the Sofitel in Xian for 2 days as part of a tour of China with Ritz Tours in September. This hotel was the worst one (out of 5) we stayed at. It was definitely disappointing for a 5 star rated hotel. The beds were hard, and we simply could not get the room A/C to cool the room. We complained but nothing was done. The shower is overhead in the middle of the bath area, not over the tub, and water is sprayed everywhere.

The hotel is extremely modern, but there are very few tables or drawers or places to put things.

However, the pool is really beautiful and the food is good.

Poor Maintenance

by TripAdvisor Member lowlow

I cannot believe all the wonderful reviews I am reading on this so called "5 star" hotel! Our tour group must have been really unlucky since we ALL had complains during our stay. (Let it be known that I have no qualms about the opulence of the decors, the breakfast, nor the staff). We stayed at the Xian Sofitel for 2 nights in September as part of a China tour. The first night we complained that there was insufficient air conditioning. I had to keep my windows open. The front desk promised that it would be fixed the second night. It never was! The view from my room 5421 (drop the 5, it was actually on the 4th floor) was a dirty wall 10 feet away - with a dirty downspout! There were a number of problems with the maintenance of the room: There was black mildew outside the air-conditioning vent; The TV cabinet door was broken; The wardrobe door was off track; The bathroom door was extremely hard to latch; The shower door was not flush and water sipped out; Ceiling above toilet had bubbled paint and what appeared to be mold, apparently from water leaking from room above; Stained carpet; The glass basin in the bathroom was chipped. I could not believe that the maid would not notice some of these problems when she cleaned the room! And, yeah, I would not feel comfortable staying in this room with someone other than an intimate partner, since the large sliding door to the bathroom on the side of the bed is translucent!!! Some people might have raised hell about these problems, but too bad I have never been one to "make waves" all my life. However, I did note all these concerns on the guest comment form addressed to Sofitel headquarters in Thailand, including my e-mail address, and dropped it off at the front desk upon my departure. To this date, I have not received any acknowledgements from Sofitel like any decent hotel would . I suspect that the management at the hotel never turned in the form - I wouldn't if I were them.

Wonderful hotel - shame about the weather!!

by TripAdvisor Member z1ppy

Having been impressed with our stay at the Sofitel Westlake in Hangzhou I was looking forward to our stay here and I was not disappointed! Looking back this was the best hotel we stayed at during our holiday in China.

We had a bit of a fraught start to our trip to Xian - when we arrived at the end of September the weather had broken and it was about 15°C and raining!! We couldn't get a taxi from the bus stop to the hotel so had to walk it (my poor other half being the beast of burden). However, once we got to the hotel the staff were lovely and efficient quickly showing us to our room so we could unwind.

We had booked a Superior King-sized Bedroom and it was lovely. It was a huge room with a bedroom area and a large sitting and office area. The bathroom was lovely, modern and clean with a superb power shower.

The hotel itself had quite a few restaurants and a bars, one even with karaoki in the evenings. There was also a gym and pool - we had a dip in the pool which was really refreshing after a days sightseeing and had it all to ourselves most of the time.

With regards to previous reviews I cannot comment on the air conditioning as we didn't need it but I have to say I truely cannot find fault with this hotel. It is in a good location with a 5/10 minute walk away from the Drum tower and main shopping area.

My only complaint was with the rainy weather but you can't really do much about that!

A gem of a hotel that is not too expensive in comparision to other 4/5 star ones. I thoroughly recommend it!

Sofitel does not deliver

by TripAdvisor Member Pearchica

The hotel very new and modern and felt more like Las Vegas than the ancient capital of China. Rooms were a very futuristic interpretation with see through windows specifically for the bathroom that allowed for no privacy. Our room was very hot and stuffy and despite numerous attempts to get the air conditioner to work, it would not cool down the room adequately. After one night, the hotel did agree to upgrade us to a better room at no extra charge but then in the new upgraded room the lights turned on inexplicably at 3:00 am and we were not able to turn them off. It was explained to us the next morning that there was a power outage and that the lights were on timers. Overall for the amount of money paid this was a poor experience for us.

Problems for a five star

by TripAdvisor Member ASIto

Our travel agent said this was a great hotel: Really modern and new. However, here is what I wrote to the manager:

1. Glass between the bathroom and bedroom (no privacy).
2. Room was stuffy and the airconditioner did not work sufficiently well to get the room to below 76°. We had the thermostat at 40° and the room was stuffy and uncomfortable.
3. Lighting system was confusing and later we were told you need to hold down the light switch. (I think this is so electricity could understand that I wanted it off.) Lights went on at 3AM (testing of system) and we could not turn the lights off.
4. Restaurant was good and service was good.
5. Ceiling showed signs of water damage and desk lamp did not work. This was indicative of "little things" that a five star hotel addresses.

Generally, I like Sofitel, but this was frustrating and not a five star experience. I'd recommend a different hotel for Xian.

No privacy

by TripAdvisor Member Sorsavino

No privacy at all when you're in the bathroom! Great buffet restaurant and breakfast! Very confusing when you arrive; they have 2 wings and you will discover which is your's only triyng. if your driver choose the wrong one you have to carry your luggage for 200 meteres by your own!
Anyway,very clean and well located.

Best service I had in China

by TripAdvisor Member Bahadir

Although I was slightly worried about some of the reviews, and some past experience with Sofitel hotels in Paris, I went ahead and booked a room through hotel's website. We were greeted by a native English speaker (Kevin), who was very friendly and very helpful with all matters during our stay. It was a great relief after having bad experiences in other hotels in Beijing. The rooms were very comfortable and modern. I agree that in some rooms having a transparent toilet door may not be ideal, but we found out there are other rooms with less transparent design. Hotel is not right in the center, but taxi only costs 6 yuans (about 60 euro cents) to go to the city centre. Swimming pool and sauna was not bad, although it was freezing when you left the pool (we went there for Xmas). The concierge service was also very good in Chinese standards. Even after we left the hotel, they were very kind to ring us in our Shanghai hotel rooms to tell that we forgot something back in the hotel (we did not need it anyway, but it was thoughtful of them). If I go back to Xian, I would certainly stay in the same place.

Comments