9 Xiang Gang Zhong Road, Qingdao, Shandong, 266071, China

See Amenities
boot1133's Profile Photo

Home in Qingdao

by written on February 13, 2010

Good location, good restaurants. Seems as if on every stay, something is not working in the room, but they fix it right away, and rest of stay is good. Typically set up to work in the lobby lounge - you know you've been there too long if Inspiration begins. Inspiration being the bad lounge band that fits every stereotype of bad Asia lounge band you've seen.

Unique Quality: Nice Spa, location can't be beat.

Regina1965's Profile Photo

An excellent 5-star hotel in Qingdao.

by written on December 11, 2009

Shangri-La in Qingdao is an outstanding, luxurious 5-star hotel where you are greated by the entrance door by 2 Chinese women who bow to you (Chinese style) as you enter. There were excellent restaurants at the hotel and hotel stores, where I bought myself the most exquisite pearls.

We went there as a part of a delegation for the opening of one of our shipping company´s cold-stores at the harbour in Qingdao. We stayed there for 3 nights in October 2007, accompanied by our president.

The room was very nice, everything was up to par, a big window, a writing desk, a sofa, a plasma TV, everything one expects from a 5-star hotel. I have no photos from the room apart from photos with people in them, as I hadn´t joined VT at the time I stayed at this hotel.

When you arrive there is an Evian water bottle on the bedside tables. It is not complementary and VERY expensive. I drank it thinking this was the complementary water bottle which had been mentioned, but that turned out to be a very small bottle of water by the bar. When I left they charged me for 2 Evian bottles which I corrected.

The only thing we could complain about was that the hotel staff kept ringing on the door of the room and kept on ringing and ringing until someone answered, which wasn't always that convenient. Later we found out that we were supposed to press a button by the door to let them know that one wanted privacy. The last day the chambermaid tried to force her entrance into the room to check the mini-bar (which we hadn´t touched). We were still asleep and I didn´t allow her to enter, but heard from other Icelanders that she had forced her entrance into their room, people half-naked in bed. I don´t think this should be done anywhere, let along in a 5-star hotel.

There is a safe at in the room, but it was mentioned that the hotel was not responsible for the valuables in the safe so I decided on getting a safe at the hotel reception. I did not want to risk being robbed of my passport in China.

Unique Quality: The hotel is situated in a very fashionable street standing alone at one corner of the street with other 5-star hotels standing at the other corner where there are a lot of shops, many of them famous designer labels.

Directions: At the end of this main road, there are other 5 star hotels at the other end where there are a lot of stores, but Shangri-La stands alone at this end. Opposite is a building with a mesmerising light-ball on top.

Bob_Shan's Profile Photo

by written on November 29, 2007

Although it is in city center, the surroundings are pretty empty w/o much commercials e.g., grocery stores, restaurants, etc. ... a bit boring. It was like staying in an island.

Unique Quality: Of course the room and facilities are nice, like any other Shangri-La hotels. I did not check out the gyn but some say it is good.

There is also a nice but very expensive restaurant on the ground floor - Scent palace, and a bar, which is sort of the "place to go" in the city.

Directions: May 4 square, city center

only the best!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 2, 2007

It was a brief stay but lasting impression for me staying at shangrila qingdao. what do you expect--- its shangrila!

Unique Quality: Alone in Shangrila Qingdao, no one to speak to, I went to the bar- I think it was Cats bar or something. Then there they were- a filipino band- in Qingdao? I forgot the name of their band, maybe I'm already a bit tipsy at that time but I really enjoyed their music. They gladly talked to me & said I was the first Filipino customer they've met in 4 months that they've been playing there.

aquamarine_cf's Profile Photo

As I could see, the best in Qingdao

by written on December 30, 2006

I spent 10 days in Shangri-la hotel, and I can say that my stay was pleasant. Hotel room was very clean, staff very friendly and food good. Room service is very punctual. Hotel has Chinese and "Western" restaurant, both of them serve very good food.
Breakfast is a buffet-type and you have a pretty good choice for both oriental and western breakfast.
Internet connection is very good, especially the wireless that one can connect to in hotel lounge.
There was a girl that played piano in the hotel lounge,and was great in it. I enjoyed the music while drinking ice cofee after work.
Q bar located in the hotel looked as pretty known nightlife spot.

Unique Quality: Cleaniness, staff friendliness, internet connection

hooiluangoh's Profile Photo

Luxurious Stay

by written on May 12, 2006

Internationl buffet breakfast awaits me every morning until I get sick of it. International buffet breakfasts always taste great on the first day, and it only goes down from there. You see the same thing everyday, and the variety is alluring but the taste is hmm hmm hmm international.

The hotel's location is one huge advantage.

It is 5 minute walk from Wusi Square. (The Chinese love it but I can't see what's so wonderful about it, that red monument by the name of May Wind is to me downright ugly.

And 10 minute walk from Carrefour so you can get everything you want to survive a normal life.

And it is a 10 minute walk to the seafront. And this is definitely great. Walk from there to Handfoot monument, 2 bus stops away towards the west, and start exploring Qingdao's nature.

Unique Quality: It lives up to everything a 5-star hotel should be.
So if you are afraid of China being sub-standard (which is absolutely untrue), just stay in there and you have your shangri-la in China.

Upward's Profile Photo

The Nicest Hotel Ever

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 18, 2004

This hotel is the nicest I've ever stayed in. The stay would have never happened if not for the halloween costume contest at the Jazz Bar. My girlfriend and I won the best couple contest which meant a free night at the 5 star Shangri La. The rooms are spacious and loaded with hardwood furniture and cabinets. The room fridge and bar is stocked but pricy. Views of the city from the room are very good and the windows open. The restaurants are decent but just a fair interpretation of western food. There is an indoor pool, weight room, sauna, hot tub and an outdoor tennis court. The main lobby is cozy and relaxing, great for people watching.

Nearby Shangri-La Hotel Qingdao

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Qingdao Travel Forum

Need advice about Qingdao, China? Visit the Travel Forum for Qingdao and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Qingdao hotel reviews