Shanghai Shi Hotels

Our Members Say

• muratkorman profile photo muratkorman
  • Reviews: 864

Yitel: Business Hotel in Zhangjiang

I stayed in Yitel twice in different visits to Shanghai. It's a brand new hotel with friendly staff and comfortable rooms. My first stay was for 10 days and my second stay was for 5 days. I enjoyed both of my stays. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The breakfast is very satisfactory with wide selection. The wifi is fast and available everywhere. It is good for business people who have to visit Zhangjiang Technology Park and surrounding area.

New business hotel close to Zhangjiang Technology Park.

• Written February 15, 2014

• RockyDaniels profile photo RockyDaniels
  • Reviews: 27

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Rennaisance Pudong: Good business accomodations

This was a very sweet place to stay. Then again, it was free for me. My wife was on a business trip and I just tagged along. They tacked on 0 extra charges even after fully disclosing my being added to the room. They simply changed the room from a single king to a double queen.

At this time, it seems everyone staying at the Renaissance is given a club pass. This means that breakfast, afternoon appetizers and a hosted bar are included.

I really enjoyed their breakfast; it became my big meal of the day and fed me plenty to keep going. An entire restaurant designed around buffet serving was turned over to breakfast. Western breakfasts, Chinese breakfasts and Japanese breakfasts. Take your pick or mix and match. Fruits, fruit juices, eggs, ham, bacon, cheeses, cereals, yogurts, pastries... On and on. They even had lattes on request. Loved the breakfasts.

The afternoon hosted bar with appetizers until 7:30 PM followed by desserts was welcomed. Not knowing when my wife would show up at the end of the day, this became a convenient place to hang out and meet up. And, if her day went long so that dinner was out, the appetizers held the line until the next day's breakfast.

The hotel is located in the area at the end of Century Blvd away from the river in Pudong. This means you're staying about 3 or 4 miles from the Pudong/Bund waterfronts and about a mile from Century Blvd. Century Blvd is the major artery defining the Pudong street layout. At the river end of Century Blvd is the Oriental Pearl Tower, Shanghai World Financial Tower, and the Jinmao Tower. That is, the Pudong waterfront iconic buildings. At the other end of Century Blvd is the Shanghai Museum of Science and Technology, Pudong government complex and the huge Century Park.

The hotel is about 1 mile east of the museum. If you're coming from the museum direction (heading east), you'll pass the Crowne Plaza, come to the Renaissance and, a few blocks further east, the Ramada. The Ramada location is surrounded by some shopping plazas. Thumb Plaza has a grocery store that's gigantic. I have no idea what 3/4ths of the stuff in that grocery store might be but it was worth the time to check it out. There are plenty restaurants in the two plazas: Chinese, Italian, Indian, you name it. There are also competing Coldstone and Hagen Daz ice cream shops. It's a very western-like shopping center.

A block from the hotel is Century Park. This is a gigantic park that costs 10 RMB to enter. For peace and quiet (most Chinese seem to have enough sense to not pay to enter a city park (unlike me)), it's hard to beat in a city where the noise level is continuous and intense. There's one decent sized lake, a number of ponds, some oriental gardens, western gardens and tributes to heroes of Chinese history. There's even a restaurant on the lake. Century Park is a great place to jog.

Beautiful lobby, attentive staff, indoor pool, gym, saunas (his and hers), steam rooms (his and hers) and on call massages. That last, I wouldn't recommend because of the relatively high price. Within a very short walk, there are a dozen massage businesses that are indeed places to get massages. The cost difference is $80 for a 1 hour hotel massage vs $30 outside the hotel.

• Written May 26, 2010

• victorwkf profile photo victorwkf
  • Reviews: 4529

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Motel 168 - Pudong Airport (Part 2)

Where is Motel 168 at the Pudong Airport?

It is located at the bridge linking the international and domestic terminals of Pudong Airport, just above the entrance to the subway station (there is a lift which brings you up to the motel). This bridge which I mentioned above is located at level 2 of the international terminal (level 1 is the arrival hall and level 3 is the departure hall).

• Related to: Business Travel, Family Travel, Adventure Travel
  • Written October 7, 2009

Motel 168 at Pudong Airport, Shanghai

• victorwkf profile photo victorwkf
  • Reviews: 4529

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Motel 168 - Pudong Airport (Part 1)

If you have a long flight transit at Pudong Airport in Shanghai, then you might want to consider staying at the Motel 168 conveniently located at the airport.

The rooms are clean and well-equipped with breakfast provided. Price starts from about RMB$300 for a basic room. I stayed here in September 2009 for about 8 hours and had a good rest before taking my next transit flight.

Please go to part 2 of this tip for more information and photos.

• Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel
  • Written October 7, 2009

Motel 168 at Pudong Airport, Shanghai

• Fullmoonfever profile photo Fullmoonfever
  • Reviews: 88

Shangri La: A hotel Question

I have never stayed here, so why am I doing a tip about it?

Because I sometimes do tips about hotels, not because I have stayed there, but because I can see the reason or benefits of doing so, this is the case with the Shangri La.

The Shangri La is one of the most expensive in the city and of course a great place to stay. The location of the hotel is GREAT, which is the reason I mention it.

Keep in mind that the Shangri La is just across the river from the Bund and it is very easy to cross the river using the tourist tunnel, which comes up very close to the hotel and right across the river at the Bund.

The Shangri La is the hotel to the right on the photo. This give you a good idea of the great location.

View of the city and Bund Area

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Spa and Resort
  • Written December 8, 2008

• Fullmoonfever profile photo Fullmoonfever
  • Reviews: 88

Ease Hotel and Motel 168: Pudong Airport Hotels

I have not stayed at either hotel but have been told by those that have is that they are great for an overnight stay for an early morning flight. I believe both hotels are owned by the same company.

There are other hotels at the airport but mention these 2 for the following reasons;

1) The prices are reasonable. The Hotel 168's are all over China. They are like the Hotel 8's in the states.

2) Both are located "IN" the airport, between terminals 1 and 2.

3) The Hotels are connected both to each other and the airport.

4) For an added bonus, there's a bar located in the domed walk-way connecting the hotels, affording a great view of the airport and the ocean.

5) Both hotels are located over the Maglev train.

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written November 23, 2008

Ease Hotel

• i-s-a profile photo i-s-a
  • Reviews: 391

MingTown Youth Hostel: Backpacker's Place

Booked through the internet. It's hassle-free and I must say HostelBookers is very good (I've used it 3x already and haven't encountered any problem yet). Though in peak season, one might use 2 to 3 different websites just like what I did when my desired day is not availble anymore in hostelbookers. Check below to compare the prices...not much but 2USD is already 1 meal for a backpacker.

Private Room Ensuite from HostelBookers.com
USD 16.07 x 2 persons = USD 32.14
paid in advance thru mastercard:
Deposit = USD3.21
NO SERVICE CHARGE

Double bed with Private Facilities from HostelWorld.com
CNY110 per person x 2 persons = CNY 220 (USD 33.83)
paid in advance thru mastercard:
Deposit = USD3.38
Service Charge = USD 2.00

Very helpful staff...speaks good English.
Clean and spacious double-bed rooms.
Centrally located.
Value for money.

I will stay in this hotel when in Shanghai.

NOTE: If you're staying with a senior, please check with them first if you could get the room at the first floor. Going up their stairs might pose a problem.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel, Backpacking
  • Written November 13, 2008

entrance

• touraco profile photo touraco
  • Reviews: 116

Heng Shan Hotel: Reasonably Good

Location of the hotel is pretty good, about 5 mins walk to the subway. There is a japanese teppanyaki restaurant just round the corner and you can have ala-carte buffet style of teppanyaki for 150RMB (2006 prices).

Room is slightly small. Breakfast is pretty decent.

• Written May 27, 2008

• touraco profile photo touraco
  • Reviews: 116

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Rainbow Hotel: Very Chinese

Hotel interior is pretty chinese style. The hall for breakfast is actually a big ballroom with tables all round. Breakfast is not great and I feel the food is a tad oily for me.

Room is nothing to shout about. I wouldn't pay the amount for the hotel room.

• Written May 27, 2008

• marlonpasilon profile photo marlonpasilon
  • Reviews: 5

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Holiday Inn Pudong: Affordable Luxury

We arrived at the hotel around 2 am, since our flight from Manila got delayed. The receptionist was very helpful in assisting us even at that hour. Even the room service at 3 am was prompt, although the room service food was not that great. The hotel room was very clean, and everything we needed was available in the room. They put complimentary chocolates in the room everyday. Breakfast was included in the room package, and the food selection was highly satisfactory. Maps were available in the lobby, and the receptionist gave us cards to help us with taxis. On our last day, they even arranged a van for my group, which would have cost the same if we took two taxis. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an affordable but high quality hotel.

Excellent service.

• Related to: Business Travel, Family Travel
  • Written February 2, 2008

• Vivian.Shen profile photo Vivian.Shen
  • Reviews: 3

Mingtown Hiker Youth Hostel: Youth hotel near bund

four people dorm.small but clean.Last time,except my cousin and me,no Chinese thereT-T
It has morning call,free internet,bar,cafe,kitchen...etc.
Also,staff there are nice and friendly.
Anyways good place for backpackers.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written January 10, 2008

• Sambawalk profile photo Sambawalk
  • Reviews: 1601

Shangrai-la Pudong: 5 star hotel overlooks the riverview

My stay in Shangrai-la Pudong is ok. Although it is labelled as 5 stars, some of the facilities are not quite. Example telephone was old and housekeeping needs improvement. See pic for room view. RMB2,000+tax per nite.

Riverview facing only

• Written May 28, 2007

Hotel outside

• yellowbell profile photo yellowbell
  • Reviews: 327

Holiday Inn Downtown: Near the Railway Station

The hotel rooms are clean, spacious enough, adequately furnished (with TV, free bottle of water/toiletries each day of your stay) and the wait staff friendly especially the concierge. I always ask the concierge to write the Chinese characters of the places where I want to go.

The rooms come with free buffet breakfast (rice, maki, dimsum, noodles, bread, jams, eggs, cold cuts, vegetables and tropical fruits) at Yue Garden (2/F).

Don't be confused though as the hotel has two buildings separated by a walkway leading to the Shanghai Railway Station. I stayed in the Great Wall Wing.

Behind Holiday Inn is the Shanghai Railway station (useful for going to Suzhou and Beijing etc.) and on the ground floor is Kentucky Fried Chicken for us Western food eaters.

It's in the old part of town though so it's a bit crowded outside especially during holidays when local tourists flock the railway station.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written February 27, 2007

Hotel Lobby

• exitnotebook profile photo exitnotebook
  • Reviews: 22

Astor House Hotel: The room was bigger than a house

I was more concerned with location than price when I was looking for a hotel in Shanghai and settled on the Astor House because it was right on The Bund and only a couple blocks from the international ferry docks. This turned out to be a huge timesaver because my ferry was delayed by 12 hours and I didn't get out of the ferry terminal until midnight. The Astor House was only a 14 RMB taxi ride away from the port terminal.

I was tired and wet, so when the front desk demanded I give them an extra 200 RMB deposit, I was annoyed and didn't like them so much. I only had enough money on me to cover the room cost and it was too late to get more cash. It's not a big deal, only a deposit, but their website didn't mention anything about that so it made me feel unprepared.

Hidden costs always leave a bad taste in my mouth, like eggs. The service in the restaurant was excellent and the breakfast buffet is amazing, the chef even made an egg just for me because I hadn't gone over to get one. I despise eggs, but if you're into them, there's a chef at the breakfast buffet dying to make you one. I hid the egg behind a pillar so he wouldn't see I'd ditched it.

It's an old building with a maze of hallways. Walking along the hallways, it looks like the place is about to fall apart, but the rooms are spotless and very modern. The contrast works well.

• Related to: Backpacking, Architecture, Work Abroad
  • Written February 8, 2007

The room.

• ellyse profile photo ellyse
  • Reviews: 427

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Shanghai Conservatory of Music Guesthouse: Shanghai Conservatory of Music Guesthouse

Currently closed at the moment. If open, only the 300 RMB rooms are left. Be warned that the entire school campus is under major reconstruction though.
The restaurant on the 1st floor is still open.

Used to be Jewish Club