Celebrity Service Apartments Shanghai

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 61% less but rated 19% lower than other 4 star hotels

• cybertraveler14's Profile Photo

Avoid if possible

We were not at all impressed with this hotel. We had a two bedroom apartment, which consisted of 2 bedrooms with a small hall connecting them, along with a small closet and bathroom. First, the good: the room on the 23rd floor had a nice view of the courtyard, and was relatively noise free (from outside noises anyhow). There were TVs in both bedrooms which got a lot of channels (once we plugged in the coax cable, which was unplugged), including several English channels. Check-in and check-out were somewhat efficient, and at least they had our prepaid reservation (unlike the person behind us whose reservation they had lost). That's about the end of the good...The rooms reeked of smoke (we are non-smokers, but have stayed in smoking rooms many times without a problem, but the smell in these rooms was enough to make you sick). The beds were very hard with springs poking up at you, and the mattress sagged so you had a tendency to roll towards the middle. They required a 1000 CNY deposit, and had a long list of things they could charge you for "damaging", even though the room was already in poor shape. There were 3 of us, and when we asked for a new towel, we were presented with a receipt showing a 90 CNY charge, which we eventually, after much struggle, figured out that was the charge for not returning the extra towel. The floors seemed very thin as we could hear people above us moving around, and to top our experience out, we had to kill several bugs (beetles?) in the bathroom. I would really recommend you spend a few more dollars and stay somewhere else.

• cybertraveler14's Profile Photo

Avoid if possible

• Top value hotel

I chose this place by having read other reviews. Lots of these were negative but I chose to ignore them. I write this as I am still staying in this hotel after 10 nights. It is a top value hotel, it is clean, the staff couldnt be more helpful, is close to all amenities (short taxi ride), and certainly in my room - which wasnt massive by any standard I have everything I need including a washing machine.
    I sometimes wonder what other travellers expect for the prices they pay. I stay in hotels all over the uk on a regular basis and this compares with the best of those. The breakfast isnt great as my 14 year old son will testify, but if you want cereal, toast and jam, coffee and fruit juice you will be happy. There are a lot of other things on the breakfast menu like eggs boiled in tea, for example, but after all it is China!
    Because my son is very fussy I havent tried the hotel's restaurant, but there is a pizza hut,KFC and Macdonalds within a 5 minute walk from the hotel.
    The hotel pool is excellent (everyone must wear a swimcap) and the gym is just fine if thats what you want. There is a sauna too. I will certainly stay here again.
    A taxi to the city centre will cost you £1.50 and is available right at the front door. Just remember to get a card from reception showing your address in Chinese for the taxi driver.

Unique Quality: Great pool