Chennan Hotel Shanghai

More about Shanghai

View from MaglevView from Maglev

yoyoyoyo

On the rooftop terrace at Atanu BarOn the rooftop terrace at Atanu Bar

my husband aboard the ferrymy husband aboard the ferry

good restaurant on bund side

by msdt464550

Can anyone a good Chinese restaurant on the Bund which has a view of the tower on the other side of the river? If not Chinese food, other cuisine is OK-- but not M on the Bund please. Budget mid to high.

Re: good restaurant on bund side

by ellyse

Whampoa Club?

Re: good restaurant on bund side

by polartraveller

There are actually lots of nice restaurants (Chinese, Italian, Japanese, even pizza etc) at the Superbrand Mall across the river, gives you a very nice view of the Bund and much more reasonable prices than M on the Bund, Jean George or any of those pricy places along the Bund

Travel Tips for Shanghai

If you can make it, about 1...

by jevdsnny

If you can make it, about 1 hour from Shanghai there are some gardens in a town called Souzhou (pronounced sue zoe). These gardens were build by wealthy monks that had fallen out of favor with the emporer and were sent away from Beijing to live in rural areas. These guys had so much money that they built these huge compounds and sat around writing poetry all day- what a life!

The style of the gardens are particularly interesting because they molded the structures to the natural landscape. They used rocks and trees as part of their structures because they thought it was more harmonious.

Great nightview over the Skyline

by tremendopunto about Cloud 9 in the JinMao Tower

If you like to enjoy your drinks along with the best view over the city of Shanghai, try CLOUD 9 of the JinMao Tower. The way up is a little bit confusing because compared to the view platform you have to change the lift at least twice. Sometimes you have to wait for a seat and prices are not the cheapest - but the view is worth it!

In Cloud Nine

by nomadig about Cloud 9 Sky Lounge

The best place to view the whole city is to go to Cloud 9, the bar at the top of Grand Hyatt hotel in the Shanghai's tallest building. Go first to the hotel lobby on the 54th floor and then change elevator to get to the 85th floor and change again to get to the 87th. The route is not marked easy, but ask the staff for directions.

The views are excellent, but don't go on a cloudy day, as the tower might be enclosed in mist. Photographing is allowed, and most people are shooting away from various places in the bar -- remember that you need a tripod or extremely steady hand to get good night pictures.

The bar is a sight itself -- very dark, lit by candles and ambient light from the ceiling. The prices are steep, but still tolerable -- drinks start from 4-5e and the list is extensive, also for non-alcoholic drinks. There is also food served. Remember to check whether there is a minimum limit for each person to avoid nasty surprises.

Acrobatics

by aramat

A Chinese acrobatic show is breathtaking and spectacular, something that a visitor to Shanghai must see. If someone just told me about the acts, I wouldn't have believed a word: in the acrobats' world gravitation doesn't seem to exist.

Shanghai Nights

by ino_hsb

Second time in Shanghai and I should say nothing has changed. Nanjing road still has its bright lights. The Bund is still the Bund. Traffic is still hideous and the people are still speaking Chinese (Mandarin if you wanna be PC).

Peking duck and tofu are fantastic. I reckon I gained 2 kg during my 6 day stay. I tried to stay away from MSG but all effort is futile.

One unforgettable experience in Nanjing road. I was walking alone in that tourist street when a Shanghai girl approached me wanting to be my friend. On this part of the planet, I feel I am the hottest, sexiest guy alive because girls come up to me. Same thing happened when I was in Beijing. This never happens to me where I come from so I knew this can't be right. I thought maybe its because I take a bath 2x a day ergo I do not smell like them. And maybe its because I do not wear the same clothing for 3 consecutive days. Or maybe I'm just damn irresistible. NOT! The girl is a hooker and she was after my money. Being the snob that I am, I walked on, ignored her and said "No. No. Wo bu yao!" I guess she couldnt handle rejection quite well coz she screamed "You're Filipino?? You're so poor!" Hah! Tell me something I do not know! With a smirk on my face, I walked on thinking "Ah, another woman disappointed because she couldn't have me....." Story of my life.

Comments