Dong Jiao State Guest Hotel

No.1800 Jinke Road, Pudong New District, Shanghai, Shanghai Region, 201203, China
Dong Jiao State Guest Hotel
Agoda.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Shanghai

Commercial Vessels along the Huangpu RiverCommercial Vessels along the Huangpu River

luxury watchesluxury watches

East Nanjing Road by night, ShanghaiEast Nanjing Road by night, Shanghai

One of the wooden statuesOne of the wooden statues

Fruit 'n' nut........

by Maggah

Where in Shanghai is there a market that sells dried fruit, nuts, spices, tea and the like?? I'm trying to get dried mushrooms, Chinese chilli, dried slices of mango or kiwi fruit & that sort of stuff.

Eh... try a supermarket?

by Maggah

Yeah, obviously...except I'm after the choice of a bigger place which specialises in these things rather than little supermarket-sized sachets. There used to be a dried foods and spice market under the Pearl Market in Beijing but it's gone - it's Shanghai's equivalent I'm looking for!

by ellyse

I've seen some around in the Old City area. How about trying local wet markets?

by TheNanyangChinaman

I went once to a shop in Nanjing Road mall which sells all sort of edible stuff.
Nuts, dried mushroom, you name it they have it.
The shop is quite big you will not miss it.
But being in Nanjing Road their price wil not be cheap.
Hope this helps.

by ellyse

That's the No.1 Food Store. The prices are actually NOT inflated there.

Travel Tips for Shanghai

Shanghai Tip

by Yubert

I have two (2) fond memories from when I was there in 1986.

First was the clothes people wore. It seemed that 98% of the population wore the Mao outfits, you know, the nondescript drab blue or olive green cotton pants and shirts.

The second one had to do with the local culture/custom. Just about every street had a sewer grate, and every sewer grate was covered with sputum (spit). I was told it's a habit or custom in Shanghai to spit into the sewer. It grossed me out but I did take pictures for proof!

I also did not see this custom practiced in any of the other cities I visted like Beijing. I also did not see signs of this 'custom' when I last visited Shanghai in August, 2001.

Xin Tian Di, on the Taicang...

by cissy4170

Xin Tian Di, on the Taicang Road.
this place is rebuilt on the base of old Shikumen(which is the most charactristic building of Old Shanghai).where now is modernized but still keep the appeal of old Shanghai.There are different style restaurants and bars which make this place more charming.

Japanese noodles throughout Shanghai

by SWFC_Fan about Ajisen Ramen

Ajisen Ramen is a Japanese noodle restaurant with branches throughout Shanghai. In fact, this Japanese fast food chain has branches all over East Asia, as well as Australia and North America.

I visited Ajisen Ramen one afternoon during a visit to Shanghai in May 2008, and ate at the Nanjing Road East branch. This branch is located on the 7th floor of a commercial building, above a bank. The restaurant is reached in an external, glass-fronted lift and the panoramic views of Nanjing Road East and further afield over the rooftops from the dining room are very impressive.

When I visited Ajisen Ramen I was just looking for a simple portion of noodles, but simple options were not evident on the menu. Instead, there were all manner of more substantial noodle dishes – noodles with shrimps, abalone, clams, prawns, mixed vegetables, chilli beef, chicken, pork and countless other combinations. Starters include soups, soup noodles, spring rolls, cheese spring rolls and fried prawns, while the dessert menu features ice creams and a variety of desserts created from red beans.

I opted for:

Chilli beef fried rice - Cost: 25 Yuan / 2.20 GBP

A large plate of egg fried rice with spring onions, red chillies, chunks of beef, peppers and other vegetables. The beef was a bit too fatty for my liking, but the dish as a whole was very tasty. It was also accompanied by a bowl of clear soup containing tofu, green vegetable leaves and chillies. This dish was marked on the menu with 2 chillies (to indicate that it was “quite spicy”)…and it certainly was! Both the rice and the soup had a real kick to them.

The meal was served with chopsticks, which was fine by me, but I expect that you can get a knife and fork if required.

500ml bottle of Asahi beer - Cost: 10 Yuan / 0.90 GBP

A cold Japanese beer – the best value beer that I bought in Shanghai, with 500ml costing just 10 Yuan!

Lemon Coke - Cost: 10 Yuan / 0.90 GBP

A glass of Coca Cola with ice and lemon.

A good value Japanese restaurant chain with branches throughout Shanghai. A large selection of noodle and rice dishes and very good value Asahi beer!

Not impressed !!!!

by jlanza29

I do have to say sometimes tour books over rate a section for no apparent reason, and this is one of them. It's a huge pedestrian street lined with department stores, prices are ok, but it's not as cool as one think it is. Ok for a stroll, but here is where you be approached with "hello do you speak english, and I'm a college student and we have an art exhibition" lines. If you have the time then come down here but don't make it a top priority if not you'll be disappointed !!!!!

Shanghai

by tyusen

" The Economic Capital of China-"

They say that the 21st century belongs to China. The most populous nation on earth has been evolving at a rapid pace and is going to be a world leader in political and economic scenes. Beijing is the political capital of China but Shanghai can be described as the economic one. When I visited there, I could understand the reason why. Shaighai is the most energetic city which I've ever been to. I think I was very lucky to have been to the most exciting city in the world even if it was for a short period of time.

" The Greatest Exception "

Shanghai has typical image of modern China which we foreigners have. When we feel a thirst, we can get something to drink at a 7-eleven. We can find a cool Irish pub to have a good time with friends at night. A lot of theaters give us the opportunity to watch the latest Hollywood movies. Of course we should know that most of other regions in China have been suffering extreme poverty. It means Shanghai is one of the greatest exception of this country.

" Food Paradise "

It's not easy to find big cities which there are no Chinese restaurants. It means Chinese dishes are one of the most famous and worldwide cuisines like French and Italian in the world. Every region has its own dishes, for example Szechuan, Cantonese, Beijing and of course Shanghai etc... Shanghai is a big city, so there are so many people coming from other regions of China. It means we can taste various kinds of Chinese dishes at Shanghai. Especially, you should not leave from Shanghai before eating Xiao Long Pao. It's like a meat pie. Bring it into your month and hot water in it starts to attack against your appetite. The feeling is really wonderful.

Comments