Green Tree Inn (Jing'an Shimen Second Road)

No.505 Shimen Second Road, Jing'an District, Shanghai, Shanghai Region, 200041, China

More about Shanghai

check this crab out!check this crab out!

The Bund BreweryThe Bund Brewery

Maglev at top speed of 431km/hr!Maglev at top speed of 431km/hr!

Shanghai - ChinaShanghai - China

Water town from Shanghai?

by casseygbf

Hi, I will travel to Shanghai and Hangzhou on Nov'09. Any suggestion on which water town to go from Shanghai on a day trip basis? As i know, water town like Xitang, ZhuJiaJiao and Zhou Zhuang are very famous. But i dont know which one to decide. Can i know the distance and travel time as well?

Thank you.

by lindyz

Im sure Ellyse will answer this, she has all the low-down on water towns and anything to do with Shanghai!

by chinamonty

I am not sure but I have a friend who lives in Wuzhen. This site will give you some views of that city.

by lindyz

By the way, where is Ellyse - she hasnt been on for a few weeks???

by chinamonty

I haven't seen her since National day (Oct 01)

by lindyz

Mmmm ... no "ellyse" for a whole month - something is not right.

by jayeyre

Hello,

Personally, i prefer Zhouzhuang Ancient Water Town.
ZhouZhuang lies at the middle between shanghai and suzhou, is an ancient town of kunshan city, jiangsu province, where abounds with rivers and lakes. so it is thought by many to be the best waterside town in china.this ancient town has a history of more than 900 years old with many houses built in the ming and qing dynasties.

It is about 3 hours from shanghai to Zhouzhuang.

Here is a link, that i help ya to find, you can take a look

Hope it does help you =)

regards
JAY

by casseygbf

Thanks for the suggestions. Tomorrow i will headed to Shanghai so i think most probably i will take a local tour to Zhouzhuang. Just now i checked the weather forecast in Shanghai it is rainy & cloudy. :(

by lindyz

Cassey, have fun in Shanghai. I just loved Shanghai to bits and we had a fair bit of rain when we were there in September, but it didnt stop us doing anything! In fact I had to buy a new umbrella, cos mine broke!

Please have a look at my Shanghai pages for tips on things to do etc.

by ellyse

I know you've already gone, but here's my 2 cents worth in any case...
Zhouzhuang would be my last choice. That's the most touristy and crowded one.
Out of the 3 choices you listed I would definitely prefer Xitang. It's about 1+ hour by long-distance bus from Shanghai.

by ellyse

In case anyone is still interested in Zhujiajiao, I've just finished my write-up on my new Zhujiajiao travel page: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1d57/f1d64/
Do help me rate the tips, and comments and such are very welcome! :)

Travel Tips for Shanghai

Knock Offs

by MarianneRules about No. 580 Fashion Market

I am not a fan of shopping but was transformed…I had fun shopping! ..That’s an amazing thing for me to admit.

This is an indoor multilevel swap meet mall. I suppose I shouldn’t say this is where you can buy fake name brands, but it is, so I’m saying it. Bargain, haggle, be firm, and of course, be polite.

I started off as rookie haggler but buy the end of the trip I felt like a pro at negotiation. Remember to have fun and know that when the store workers act like they are mad at you, they’re faking it (saving face is everything). Wink and smile.

Oh, they will touch you, so don’t be alarmed. It’s unsettling at first, but became kind of funny how much they invade your personal space. Different culture and social norms…gotta love it. I think you get what you pay for in that the quality isn’t so great. In the beginning, I was focused on what I wanted, but later I was more focused on the fun of haggling and getting a good deal. You must be willing to walk away and also know that once you buy something, don’t get hung up on whether or not you overpaid. If you bought it, then that is what its worth to you and its ok.

Halal Food

by Azri_Azmi about Vighur Restaurant

This is the best halal restaurant that I went during my visit to Shanghai. After few halal places / restaurants tried, I rank this restaurant on top of my list.

Dishes that they serve are Vighur(Uygur) foods. Vighur originated from Xin Jiang province and they are muslim. They looks differently from normal Chinese people. A bit mixtures of Chinese, Pakistan, Mongolian, Uzbekistan & Tibet.

The setup in the restaurant is very presentable, spacious and excellent decorations. They even held a traditional dancing and singing shows during dinner. During their show, they invited guest to participate in dancing their traditional dance. I do not miss the oppurtunity once the dancer invited me to dance, well I am the first that was being invited. After that, all guest went to dance with the dancers. Wow, what a great experience it was.

The foods taste great and very tasteful. We only discovered this restaurant on our 4th day in Shanghai. After we had our good lunch here, we decided to had dinner also in this restaurant.

15 of us took almost 10 different dishes with large quantity & different beverages and the price is RMB863.00. BBQ Mutton on Stick (I guess they have a specific menu name for this dish) is the most tasteful dish offered here in this restaurant. On that day itself, I took almost 20 sticks of this dish. See the uploaded picture to recognize this dish.

Hidden gems never seen by world

by Icemaiden02

Of the Shanghai Museum's 120,000 works of art, it is estimated that a full 30% have never before been shown to the outside world. The museum is divided into eleven galleries and three exhibition halls. The eleven Galleries cover most of the major categories of Chinese art: Ancient Bronze, Ancient Ceramics, Paintings, Calligraphy, Ancient Sculpture, Ancient Jade, Coins, Ming and Qing Furniture, Seals, and Minority Nationalities. From bronze statues to ancient coints, from jade carvings to historic swords, this museum is breathtaking and humbles you to realize the depth and breadth of ancient Chinese history and civilization.

Exhibitions I would not miss would be the porcelain works and the Chinese brush paintings. Entrance fee is RMB 60 (US$7) and expect to spend the whole day here, it is one of the city's highlights (at least, to me).

Hours:
Sun-Fri 9:00am-5:00pm (last ticket sold at 4:00pm)
Sat 9:00am-7:00pm

Yu Yuan Garden 2

by machomikemd

part two of my Yu Yuan Garden Tips with more pictures. Yu Yuan Garden is the famous in the Shanghai Region, The garden was reportedly first established in 1559 as a private garden created by Pan Yunduan, who spent almost 20 years building a garden to please his father Pan En, a high-ranking official in the Ming Dynasty. Yuyuan Garden occupies an area of 2 hectares (5 acres), and is divided into six general areas and these areas are separated by "dragon walls" with undulating gray tiled ridges, each terminating in a dragon's head. It is Part of the City God Complex in Old Shanghai

Comments