Guhua Garden Hotel Shanghai

276 Middle Jiefang Road, Nanqiao Town, Fengxian District, , Shanghai, 201400, China
Xinfazhan Guhua Garden Hotel
Booking.com Travelocity Agoda.com

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Shanghai

The view from the restaurant at the hotelThe view from the restaurant at the hotel

posepose

Chinese visa in my passportChinese visa in my passport

Just before lift off...Just before lift off...

Advice/Help for First Time Traveller to Shanghai

by SyNkRoNiZe

Hi everyone

I am scheduled to fly to Shanghai on the 21st April - 26th April. Out of those days, I have to attend a 3 day conference there, which explains why I'm flying in a little early. I know it doesn't leave me with much time to do a lot but I hope to get a few things done while I'm there and I hope you all can assist!

1) I'm being put up at Howard Johnson Plaza. I understand this is in the heart of town. I am interested to take the Maglev from the Pudong airport, however, I was cautioned by a colleague that there isn't a 'direct connection' there. So I would still need to get off at Loyang station and hop on a cab or something. My flight is scheduled to arrive at 7am and I don't wish to waste an hour in a taxi. Then again, I can't speak enough Mandarin to get me by either! Would taking the Maglev to Loyang station and then grabbing a cab there be a good idea? Btw, how far would Loyang station be to my hotel?

2) Tailors: I plan to make some lady cufflink shirts. Any experience if they're any good? Also, has anyone made any dresses (e.g. summer, cocktail, party etc) with the tailors in Shanghai?

3) Nanjing lu is walking distance from my hotel right? What about Huai Hai?

4) Maps! Are these available at the airport?

Thanks in advance!!

by neverstoptravel

1) You may transit metro line #2 at Longyang station, then get off at 'People Square'. The hotel is in a few minutes walking distance.

2) Try Dongjiadu Road near south Bund, lots of expat. going there for tailors.

3) Take metro line #1 at 'People Square' and you may easily reach Huai Hai Road.

4) Yes, available at the airport.

by Helenbb

Q3 :

Or take metro line #1 get off at " Huang Pi Nan Road " , then you are in Huai Hai Zhong Road, one of the shopping centers in shanghai .

by SyNkRoNiZe

Thanks for the tips. Another question regarding the Maglev.

Since I'm arriving at 7am and by the time I clear customs and luggage, I'm thinking it's probably around 8am+. Would Maglev be operating by then? Also I hear that there are shuttle busses into the hotels and one of them actually drops us off at my hotel. Has anyone tried this and I know that the journey would be a lot longer since stops need to be made at hotels along the way.

thanks!

by Helenbb

i just googled it .Maglev is operated at 7:02am .

by El_Corno

Hello,

my advice to you:

Yes do take a cab after the Maglev. Have the phonenumber of your hotel ready so that the driver (who probably only understands chinese symbols) can call your hotel and find out where he has to go.

Regarding Nanjing Lu, especially if you are wandering alone, be prepared for people bothering you every 3 minutes. Ignore ALL of them. Also the ones that may walk up with you and invite you for a drink just to have a nice chitchat, to learn english or whatever (read the tourist traps posts on this website). I visited Nanjing Lu alone and unprepared, .... 6000 Yuan (~650 USD) charge for 12 glasses fake whiskey.

Good luck.

by neverstoptravel

Caz you have been running into gangs in Shanghai. Only try Xintiandi, Hengshan Road, Maoming Road for night life.

by Lance_in_shanghai

It would be ridiculous to take a taxi for about 40 RMB from LongYang Road stop to Nanjing Road instead of Metro for 3 or 4 RMB unless you would need to save 10 minutes. There is also a stop before People's Park called "Nanjing Road East stop". That will put you very closer to Howard Johnson Plaza. Also, it will be close to City of Books on Fuzhou Road at Fujian Road. There you can buy an English/Chinese map of Shanghai. Here is an online map of the details of the Nanjing Road shopping area. The Metro stop, bookstore and Howard Johnson's, are all near the center of the map.

For HuaHai Road, walk west on Nanjing Road to Tibet Road (Chinese will call it "XiZang Lu") and turn left, south. Walk about 10 blocks or take a taxi. That's the beginning of HuaHai Road. It goes west to the edge of the city proper. The posh shops are mostly at your end.

I know nothing about taylors. I buy off the rack.

Travel Tips for Shanghai

HUGE SHOPPING PLACE but where is the garden

by Audrey118

When i first came here many years ago, there were less shops, and it was smalller - today it is just a huge tourist place to shop shop shop and you be so lost - you may not even find the garden!!!! becos there is hardly any signage in english...

fortunately when i first came to Shanghai it was less crowded...so it was easy for me to get to the beautiful garden.

It is actually very closed to the little lake with a funny pink zig zag bridge... like many many ohter chinese gardens famous in Suzhou, Hangzhou etc...this is something small small...but pretty

California Club. A famous...

by vigi

California Club. A famous up-market club located in Park 97, claim to be frequent visit place for Hong Kong celebrities. However, it was closed when I visited there on Jan/2002. If you know where they moved to or why it closed, please email me!

Nice restaurant, friendly staff...poor food!

by SWFC_Fan about Sichuan Restaurant

I visited Sichuan Restaurant one evening during a visit to Shanghai in May 2008.

This large, brightly lit, local restaurant is located on Nanjing Road West, close to the metro station of the same name.

Upon entering the restaurant, I was greeted by a couple of staff who enquired whether I wanted BBQ food or Sichuan food. I opted for the latter and I was led upstairs to the second floor, passing the first floor which was devoted to BBQ cuisine. The second floor dining room was cavernous, with dozens of neatly laid tables, but was almost empty. By contrast, the first floor BBQ dining area was fairly busy with diners.

The menu was not particularly extensive and the available dishes could easily be displayed on a two page menu. The choice included a handful of shrimp, chicken, beef and pork stir fries, a range of dishes cooked in bean curd sauce and a selection of lighter snacks such as steamed buns, wantons, noodles and fried rice.

The restaurant certainly looked the part, and the staff were very friendly, but I have to say that the food was pretty awful. This was without doubt one of the worst meals that I have ever experienced during my travels. I opted for:

Shrimps in salt egg sauce - Cost: 46 Yuan / 4 GBP

This dish was dreadful. When it first arrived, in a tin foil covered dish, I thought it was a complimentary dip or perhaps a soup. It was orange/red in colour and there was vast quantities of tofu floating in it.

I waited a while for my main course to arrive, but when nothing was forthcoming, I established that this was the main dish. I fished around in the depths of the dish, but my attempts to locate even a single shrimp were unsuccessful.

The dish was lukewarm, and the overriding taste was one of salt. I managed only a couple of mouthfuls, and even that was a struggle!

Fried noodles - Cost: 12 Yuan / 1 GBP

Thankfully, I had also ordered a portion of noodles to accompany my main dish.

These noodles (heavily saturated in soy sauce and containing chicken, bean sprouts and spring onion) were nothing special, but they were at least served in a large portion and so constituted a main dish in themselves. I ate the whole plateful and my hunger was at least satisfied.

2 x bottles of Tsingtao Draft - Cost: 15 Yuan / 1.40 GBP per 600ml bottle

Is it possible to have bottles of “draft” beer? Is that not a contradiction in terms? Either way, they were nice and cold and certainly better than the food!

A large restaurant on Nanjing Road West. My Sichuan food was pretty awful, but the restaurant’s more popular BBQ area might offer better fare. Not recommended.

The Yuyuan Gardens

by mikelisaanna

The Yuyuan Gardens are a tranquil 5-acre oasis in central Shanghai. The gardens were built in the 1500s by the family of a Ming Dynasty official and have been damaged (Opium Wars, Taiping Rebellion, World War II) and rebuilt several times since then.

The Gardens are divided by walls into a number of sections, all of which are different. Many of the sections feature historic buildings, with well-preserved interiors, while other sections feature ponds. It takes about an hour to walk through all of the sections, and is well worth the effort.

Shanghai

by xiquinho

"People's Square"

One of the world's most glamorous and cosmopolitan centers, Shanghai is now the world's tenth largest city with a population of over 13 million. Located on the mid-eastern coastline of Mainland China, much of the city's charm and historic architecture still survive. The Bund, a promenade between the Wusong River and The Old Town, bears testimony to Shanghai's importance early in the century. The Shanghai Museum is a museum of ancient Chinese art. It is especially famous for its treasures of bronzes, ceramics, paintings, and calligraphy. Jade Buddha Temple, which houses two rare Buddha images carved from white Burmese jade, is also very famous. Other wonderful attractions include Yu Garden and the Jazz Band at the Peace Hotel.

Shanghai is famous not only for its successful metropolitan feature and rich humanistic resources but also for a number of tourist attractions with modern flavor that have been developed in recent years. They include Jin Mao Building, Oriental Pearl TV Tower, pedestrians' street on Nanjing Road and the XinTianDi.

Shanghai is also a paradise for gourmets. There are over a thousand restaurants serving the famous sixteen styles of Chinese food, such as Beijing, Sichuan, Guangdong, Yangzhou, Fujian etc. There are also French, Russian, Italian, English, German, Japanese, Indian and other kinds of foreign flavored cuisine, genuine Muslim food and vegetarian food. In Shanghai you can have a taste of all the different kinds of food in the world.

Having been an important commercial hub for almost a century, the city is now expanding rapidly with the development of the Pudong area. Visitors can find a wide range of goods produced locally or from all over China.

Comments