Hanbo Hotel Shanghai

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Shanghai

Outside the window of the roomOutside the window of the room

meme

Busy food stalls on Wujiang Road, ShanghaiBusy food stalls on Wujiang Road, Shanghai

Old town near the Yu GardenOld town near the Yu Garden

Customs tariffs

by danchatman

Hello,
I have a friend shipping me a small camera from abroad (from the US), since cameras there are so much cheaper than in China. Could anyone tell me what the Customs fees are for such a small package (eventhough it's electronics)?

Dan

by DSwede

I had to have a replacement camera sent to me while I was in China. I had them open the box and simply take out the camera and cords. On the shipping label, simply put 'personal items' and there should be no taxes. If you have it shipped complete in the box and original wrappings, its hard to pass that one over...

But if you do that, sorry, but I can't answer the customs duty rates.

Dave was the lucky one.
I sent one to a friend about 2 years ago, value of the camera in Canada was round $300 CDN, Chinese custom fee was RMB 125.
If you do not put down the correct description it can also cause a lot of hold ups at custom. I sent a couple boxes of lotions and creams last X'mas, put down "personal items", got held up at custom, I had to fax to the China custom office a few forms and original receipts of the goods before they clear the goods.

by DSwede

Did you send it with the box, user's manual, cords, etc? If so, that's a dead giveaway that it will be detained.

Since I live on the road, I often have little things put in the mail that I need, but having it packaged with personal mail, postcards, magazines, etc., I've never had a problem.

I also always stipulate on my packing lists that listed values are for insurance purposes only. And add many asterixes around the note that items are for personal use and will return with the owner upon departure. Again, maybe I've been lucky, but I've shipped to/from countless places and have not had problems.

by polartraveller

No, did the same as you did, took it out and wrap it in bubble wrap.

How often do you think they read the English custom forms on the shipping packages in China?

by DSwede

Not sure, but I sent at recieved 4 shipments over 3 months and did not have problems. Two were from USA, one from Romania and one from Indonesia. All had items that could have been flagged, but werent.

by polartraveller

That's what I said Dave, you are the luck guy.
Probaby also depending on where you sent them, my destinations were all more remote cities so they were probably not used to having foreign packages, plus more time on their hands.
We do have CDs and other documents sent to us on a regular basis (via courier) that were never questioned.

by Lance_in_shanghai

I suggest Fed Ex as they seem to bypass customs. It costs more than "ground" post but you'll get it in 4-6 days.

I bought a Nikon digital camera in China for 245 USD and the lowest online price in the U.S. was 237 USD. User guide in Chinese, Japanese and English. Three years later I'm still using it.

Travel Tips for Shanghai

Yu Fo Temple

by Jiang_Cucha

Yu Fo Temple Namely Jade Buddha Temple, is the most famous Buddhist temple in Shanghai. It houses a 1.9-metre-tall jade statue of Buddha carved out of a single piece jade whose color is lustrously and spotlessly white. The look of the the figure is dignified with a kind face. Besides, this rare treasure in the world, there is another jade Buddha statue in a reclined position.

Tequilaaaaaaaaaaa !

by floche2001 about Zapata 's

Don't miss this place when u visit Shanghai !
This place is mainly for expats but you meet there people coming from all over the world. it's really great !
Every quarter, you'll be invited to drink a shoot of Tequila, dangerous place actually as you can't avoid a terrible headach the next mornig. What a great time we had over there !!!

10 tequila shots are offered for 100 RMB (10 € !)

You can also eat outside at Sasha's bar (italian restaurant) located on the same spot. relax !

Hangzhou food... yum...

by cheezecake_deli about Zhi Wei Guan

Zhi Wei Guan is a local chain of restaurants serving classic Hangzhou cuisine. It is popular with the Shanghainese for its good-quality food and affordable prices. I've been to the Changshou Lu branch a couple of times for lunch, when it was bustling with diners. Service was efficient and surroundings were pleasant, though nothing to write home about. Appropriately, the cooking takes centre stage... Hangzhou cuisine is similar to Shanghainese cuisine, though it has a number of signature dishes (see below). Longjing xia ren (Prawns with Longjing tea leaves), Hangzhou cu yu (Hangzhou vinegared fish), to name a few...

Very Touristy

by travelpug

The whole area is very touristy. But still, it's fun to see the people, try some local food, look at some souvenirs, bargain with the chinese shop keepers, etc.

ADVISE: Base on my experience, the Bazaar is less crowded in the evening. So it's more pleasant as you don't have to fight your way among the crowds.

GETTING HIGH IN SHANGHAI

by blubee

"SHANGHAI CITY"

I have gone to Shanghai twice over and it never fails to amaze me how the city was able to be transformed from a simple colonial place to one that is of today. Cosmopolitan ! Aristocratic ! Exciting !
Overnight, while everyone was not looking, Shanghai became one of the world's modern capital in Asia. Everybody wants to go to Shanghai !

Comments