Hongmei KingTown Hotel

No.2975 Hongmei Road, Minhang District, Shanghai, Shanghai Region, 201100, China
Hongmei KingTown Hotel

Night View of the BundNight View of the Bund

Shanghai - ChinaShanghai - China

Air ticket to Xi'an

by GeorgieM

I will arrive in Shanghai Dec 26th and wish to fly to Xi'an on the 28th. How should I go about getting flights to Xi'an? Should I book now while I am still in Japan or wait till I arrive in Shanghai? Should I use elong or ctrip or shoiuld I use my hotel travel desk?

by GrumpyDiver

I've always prebooked my flights in China (and elsewhere) ahead of time. A few reasons - last minute booking means you may not get a seat, may not get a good routing and you will be paying the maximum price for the airfare.

by JohntheFinn

I've only once had a problem getting an air ticket the day before travel and that was during Chinese New Year. This has been during five trips in the past year.
I've often been upgraded free to business class, which may mean economy class was full - well, you can't complain about that!

by gaolei

Yes, prebook. You can use Elong, Ctrip or Kayak to get representative prices.

I have also walked into Pudong airport or Hong Qiao and bought a ticket. I also often book first class for a few dollars more to avoid the excess baggage charge. You get good seating, a free beer in the VIP lounge, early boarding and no baggage charge. Often the first class ticket is just a few dollars more than the baggage charge.

I also like the fact that Hong Qiao airport is closer to the Jing An or Puxi part of Shanghai. This is the old airport and it is 15 to 20 km from the center of town, and 50 RMB. Pudong, the new airport, is 50 Km, 150 RMB and a lot of traffic.

by ellyse

Same, I'd prefer to book ahead. No point waiting till the last minute for what, a miracle? :P

by JohntheFinn

Depends on if you want spontaneity or prefer to have a sense of control. I like to follow my whims.

by chinamonty

I prefer to book about a week ahead but then in China you don't always now what is ahead. I had to go Chengdu at short notice on Christmas Day a couple of years ago and got 80% off tickets five hours before the flight. Still prices are pretty good in China anyway, it is just availability at the time you want to travel that can be the issue. Being a popular route I think Shanghai -Xi'an would be little problem except during Chinese New Year which won't be til Feb

Travel Tips for Shanghai

Hua Xia Sex Museum

by Sharrie

HUA XIA SEX MUSEUM:

1133 Wu Ding Lu, by Wu Ning Nan Lu.

Open Daily: 10 am - 6 pm.

RMB 30.

You've got to see it to believe. An entire museum collection. Has anyone heard of a sex museum??? & one that's open to the public in China!!! Now, that's what I call progress!

Duvel!!

by Museeuw about Hanshe

This is a tea house and not really a restaurant, but since it's not your regular bar I didn't put it with Nightlife. And moreover you can eat small things here also.
I put this place as a Tip especially for all the Belgians, because here they have Duvel (one of the best Belgian beers). When we came in here, the first thing I saw was a display with the 'recommended beers'. They had four: one English beer and three (!) Belgian beers. Next to Duvel they also had Hoegaarden (which I don't like) and Chimay.
Only one negative thing: they didn't have the correct glass for Duvel. DUVEL!!

Chenghuang Temple

by meteorologist1

The Chenghuang Temple / Yuyuan Tourist Mart area is a popular tourist spot in Shanghai. This large Taoist temple consists of some very traditional Chinese architecture and gardens and offers lots of great photo opportunities. The festive area also offers lots of shopping and dining opportunities. You can find lots of souvenir and gift shops here and also experience some typical Shanghai food, including the mouth-watering Nanxiang Xiao Long Bao (steamed dumplings). There is also a large food court where you will find literally hundreds of Chinese dishes ready to grab and go or made on the spot -- a real culinary eye-opener. You must experience eating at this place.

Shanghai World Finance Building

by Willettsworld

The Shanghai World Financial Centre Building in Pudong is the highest building in China and the second tallest in the world at a height of 492m (1,614ft). It opened on the 28th October 2008 and the Observation Deck at the highest vantage point at 474m (1,555ft) opened a couple of days later. Unfortunately I visited Shanghai a few months before it opened in May 2008 when it was still being constructed as you can see by one of the photos I took from the neighbouring Jin Mao Tower.

Comments