Howard Johnson Zhengdi Hotel

No.5658 Zhangyang North Road, Pudong New Area, Shanghai, Shanghai Region, 200137, China
Howard Johnson Plaza Waigaoqiao Shanghai
Expedia.com Travelocity Agoda.com

More about Shanghai

Cheers!!Cheers!!

Yao Ming di Madame Tussaud ShanghaiYao Ming di Madame Tussaud Shanghai

The Oriental Pearl Tower from "The Bund"The Oriental Pearl Tower from "The Bund"

Children's  clothing storeChildren's clothing store

Need Advice on Shanghai Holiday Plan

by VELO29

Hi! Am planning a family trip to Shanghai on 19 - 26 Oct 08 with my family of 4 (our 1st trip to Shanghai). Appreciate advice if our plan is feasible.

Day 1- Shanghai (Free & Easy)
Day 2- Shanghai (hope to rent a car to visit ZhouZhuang & Suzhou - half day each. Not sure if its feasible)
Day 3 & 4 (2 nights)- Hangzhou (by train from Shanghai)
Day 5, 6 - Shanghai
Day 7 - returning home.

Also would anyone have contacts for car + driver rental for 1 day? Any idea on the estimate costing? Bit worried on costing as heard its quite pricy in Shanghai. Mandarin speaking driver is good for us.

We are also deciding if we should visit Suzhou or Nanjing instead for a day trip. Wish to visit both but worried time dont permit. Thank you!

by cheezecake_deli

Hello,

Day 2 is a bit ambitious: Zhouzhuang can be done in half a day, but Suzhou warrants a bit more (though if you only plan to see one or two gardens, then half a day is fine). Nanjing is too far away and has too much to offer for a day trip from Shanghai - I would advise sticking to Suzhou if (lack of) time is a consideration.

Days 3 & 4 should be good: you will find plenty in Hangzhou to occupy you for 2 days.

I'm afraid I've lost my driver contact in Shanghai.

Enjoy!

Cheese

by VELO29

Hi CheezeCake! Thanks for the advice. I will reconsider covering ZhouZhung & Suzhou in a Day. Probably do ZhouZhung for half a day instead on Day 2 and if time permit make a day trip to Suzhou on Day 5 or 6. Dont wish to exhaust the family with a heatic itinerary if not we would have joined a group tour initially. Many thanks again.

If anyone has contact for car rental + driver for Hangzhou & Shanghai appreciate if you can share with me. Thanks!

by VELO29

Hi Flora! Thanks for offering your service but pardon in Shangahi we dont need a guide as we are planning Free & Easy and may take opportunity to visit some friends there. But may need a guide in Hangzhou. Is Hangzhou your area? If so may i know your rates per day + car for 4 person (let me know if inconvenient to advice in this forum, I can then email you). Thank you once again for the advice and offer.

Travel Tips for Shanghai

Funny Pictures

by MarianneRules

These are just funny pictures, no real tip. My mom and I were in hysterics when we read the label on this cereal box.

She said, “I will never eat anything with the word ‘bowel’ printed on the box.” We renamed it ‘Toby’s S**t Mix’ instead; thought it had a better ring to it… ha ha ha ha ha

Live prawns, you cannot get fresher!!!

by rabbit06 about Jin Ba Xian Restaurant

Traditional local food, every dish is so fresh, bursting with big flavours, the service is not rushed with nice polite waitresses and very pleasant surroundings. At the end of lunch we could not eat another thing! The beef was just so nice, but wait the pork balls were something else, very very tastey and those live prawns were just so so juicy and fresh, all served up with Steinlager!!!...nice...

The Oriental Pearl TV Tower

by Paul2001

The Oriental Pearl TV Tower is the symbol of modern Shanghai and perhaps even all of China The tower is a 468m high steel and concrete stick that skewers through three pink spheres stringed along it. This makes it the third tallest such tower in the world and the tallest in Asia. Each of the spheres can be visited although at additional costs. I took in the two highest of the spheres. I found them to be moderately interesting but I had problems with all so common smog that engulfs the city which is why I decided not to post any photos of the view. Hence I could not see much of anything. The highest the spheres is a whopping 350m high and not for people with vertigo. I have been up to the top of similiar towers elsewhere around the world but I have for some reason I found this one especially dizzying. I personally found that the Shanghai Municipal History Museum, which is in the concourse, more fascinating than the tower itself and I highly recommend that you spend a hour of your time here.
To visit the whole complex including the museum will set you back about Y100. The Oriental Pearl TV Tower is open from 8:30am to 9:30pm.

Great place,

by kenliverpooluk

"Liverpool... Pier Head...?"

This is Shanghai. The buildings look like Liverpool's Pier Head. the Liver Buildings... Many Chinese sailors worked out of Liverpool on merchant ships, and i guess they liked what they saw, and copied it..

"Shanghai city iew"

The Pearl tower to the left.. well worth a visit to t top for great views

"Hooters"

A few of my friends from Hooters Bar, in Shanghai. by the pearl tower.

Comments