199 Huangpu Road, Shanghai, Shanghai, 200080, China

Hotels.com Booking.com Agoda.com

Costs 26% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• candyand's Profile Photo

360-degree view of Shanghai

Lots of people know the Park Hyatt , Grand Hyatt , but I think if you want to have a 360-degree view of Shanghai, here is your best choice~
    Park Hyatt and Grand Hyatt are both in Pudong area, you can have a great view of the Bund.
    If you choice Westin or Peace Hotel , you can have a view of the Lujiazui.
    But in here, you can have a view of both the Bund and Lujiazui.
    You need a super wide angle lens!!

Unique Quality: Food in Vue is great, but really expensive.
    I will make a Vue introduction later.
    The pastry shop in F1 is not good enough. The terrible macaroon...

• Maria81's Profile Photo

Hyatt on the Bund

On the second trip to Shanghai, and especially given how little time we had in the city (just one full day) we wanted to stay somewhere central so went for the Hyatt on the Bund. While not on the actual Bund strip, it was maybe 5 minutes' walk from it - so close enough. It allowed us to visit the Bund, the Old City and the Yuyuan Gardens on foot, only getting a cab to temples further out.

There may have been better and better-known hotels, but I have always liked Hyatt's more minimalist style. Service was still attentive without being overbearing, all the amenities and conveniences in place, so all in all another excellent stay.

Unique Quality: In no particular order, the things we liked most:

- The buffet breakfast, with both Chinese and international dishes. Breakfast was included in the rate for us, but that's not always the case at this hotel from what I've seen - so do check
    - The views - these were awesome, over both the high-rise financial district and the residential areas, from the room, the bar, even from the elevator
    - The viennoiserie - an all you can eat buffet of sweets, pastries, etc. The first time I tried a black forest eclaire and I simply loved it

More about Shanghai

how cute!how cute!

Proud Papa MarioProud Papa Mario

Front of Great Shrine HallFront of Great Shrine Hall

the view of Pudong from the bund, Shanghaithe view of Pudong from the bund, Shanghai

URGENT!! Advise on cheapest shipment from Shanghai to Singapore

by rosielim

Please help. I need to send some apparels (20-40 kgs) from Shanghai to Singapore. Courier is too expensive for me. Can anyone advise me on the cheapest shipment or any other options? Tks.

by ellyse

Just go to China Post, pack them up and send. Friends recently sent about 25 kg worth of books back to Singapore by seamail, it only cost around 250 RMB.
Check the rates here: http://www.chinapost.com.cn/yyzn/zifei/cx/PriceQuery_Parcel_1_En.asp

by ellyse

40 kg would cost around 630 RMB by seamail, but 1460 RMB by airmail. Since you're looking for the cheapest, go by seamail!
Surprisingly, the search page gives a value of around 416 RMB for 25 kg by seamail. Oh well, go to the post office and you'll find out for sure.

by rosielim

Thank you very much for your information. I really appreciate your quick reply. Thanks again.

by ellyse

I should be sending off a parcel by seamail to Singapore sometime in the next few days, remind me to update you about how much it actually cost. It's really heavy, I wonder how I'm going to get it to the post office!

by rosielim

Guess You'll need a trolley to help you around ... :)

by rosielim

On the other hand, You should use a luggage to put in the heavy stuffs. Unload them and transfer to the box at the Post Office. Good Luck!!

by ellyse

Eh, too late, I already packed the box. Besides, if I put it into a luggage case, I still have the problem of getting it down 5 floors of stairs anyway.
Well... maybe I could consider putting the box into luggage, then getting it to the post office.

by rosielim

Believe me, using the luggage really helps a lot. You can slide the luggage step by step. I always do that when I make my purchase on apparels. I used to carry heavy things when I'm younger, but now I've learnt to take it easy.

by ellyse

I've decided to take an easier way out. I'll have movers coming to help me move house tomorrow, so they can take care of those as well. Once I get them to my friend's apartment, that place has a lift so I'll be able to utilise that, at lesat no need to drag luggage down flights of stairs. :)

Travel Tips for Shanghai

Taxis In Shanghai

by Zadig

Catching a cab in Shanghai's not difficult, just get to the side of the road and start waving your arm. If you have more than four people you'll probably be out of luck. I'm not sure if there's a law prohibiting taking more than four people but we had a hell of a time trying to get a cab to take all five of us. One cab driver did it then looked very unhappy after he counted five as we got out.
Anyway, if you speak Chinese be sure to tell them what part of town you're going to along with the address, that helped a lot. If you don't speak Chinese, be sure that you have your destination marked on the map and be sure you can pronounce the street it's on.
Cab fares from the south side of Pudong to somewhere in the Huang Pu district cost about 40 RMB, from the south side of Pudong to the Airport (Pudong) will be about 130 RMB. For the most part it's pretty cheap to get around Shanghai by taxi.
Be aware that they don't seem to obey any traffic rules at all so if you're not in an adventurous mood you may want to sit in the back and close your eyes. If you are in the right mood and have had a couple drinks siting in the front can be pretty exciting. Despite the crazy driving I still felt pretty safe, just remember, they're not trying to kill themselves.

Toys Toys Toys

by MaosRedArmy about Various stores in Shanghai

Since another VTer requested a list of stores in the Shanghai Forum, I figured I'd also post the list of stores in Shanghai here as well:

Istean (imported toys)
527 Huahai Zhong Lu and 1038 Nanjing Xi Lu

Next Age (Yaohan Department Store)
501 Zhong Yang Lu by Pudong Nan Lu
5830 1111

Bao Da Xiang Children and Youth Department Store
685 Nanjing Dong Lu

China Digital Land
528 Lao Shan Xi Lu

Yu Garden
225 Fuyou Lu

Bachmann Showroom (model trains)
595 Wu Ding Road

Cuddle's Wonderland Teddy Bear Collector's Shop
404 Shanxi Lu
6437 3835 Toys, of course!

Italian with style

by kphstar about Cucina, Grand Hyatt Shanghai

Located on the 56th floor of one of Shanghai finest hotel, Grand Hyatt, the Italian trattoria, Cucina, serves innovative pasta dishes and brick-oven pizzas. With it's open kitchen you can see, smell and savour the control frenzy of the chefs as they prepare your meals. The lamd cutlet is a MUST. The meat is so tender and juicy it melts in you mouth

Fashion Road

by wwliu

Visitors will tell you, "If you have not visited Nanjing Road, you have not seen China". Nanjing Road, known at home and abroad as the number-one business thoroughfare in China, is a symbol of Shanghai's rapid business expansion. Because of the impact of commerce conducted here, this road's past and future will affect not just Shanghai, but one-fifth of the world's population. Ten years from now, when we stroll down Nanjing Road, what will we see? Will there be some surprises?

In the near future, Nanjing Road will be separated into three areas pursuant to a thematic direction referred to as "Nanjing Road's Perpetual Charm." From the Bund to the middle of Henan Road will be an area called "The Sea's Passion;" the thematic elements will include stylistic romance, old-time elegance and bring forth reminiscence of days gone by. Visitors will hear jazz melodies wafting from the coffee-colored Heping Hotel, relax at the fashionable open bars, and enjoy the abstract sculptures erected along the street. With the strong contrast between historic and modern styles, fashionable young people and international tourists will soak in the special charm of old Nanjing Road.

Fast Forward to the Future

by Radiomom

"The Independent Traveler Gets her Fix!"

Shanghai was the last stop on our tour of China, and our last full day was "free" to do whatever we wished. This was terrific for me, because I've got a friend who has been living in Shanghai since 1999. When she was in DC some time back, we met for lunch, although we'd been communicating via a small travel group website for a while before that. My friend Linda, who had also come on this tour, knew her as well and we had arranged to spend our free day with her.

But before our day on our own, we got to see all the sites a tourist visiting Shanghai must see: Jin Mao Tower, the Bund, the Shanghai Museum and the Shanghai Circus Acrobats.

Shanghai is China's high rollers economic showcase. There are more familiar names on display in Shanghai than a Westerner will see anyplace else in the country. There are probably more expatriots (like my friend and her husband) living in Shanghai than other cities in China, although I don't have any statistics. But this is a city that is driving toward the future like a roller coaster in free fall. There are over 3000 buildings in Shanghai with over 30 stories -- someone once told me Shanghai is like New York City on steroids. The old neighborhoods (called Shikoman areas, not unlike the hutong areas of Beijing) are being smashed to bits as new skyscrapers sprout in their place.

Some neighborhoods seem to be getting the "Rouse" treatment (East Coasters from the US may recognize the name) where new buildings and neighborhoods sprout up with some of the aspects of those they've replaced -- but they are somewhat Disneyesque in comparison.

But, you can't stop progress. And Shanghai is quite breathtaking. The traffic is insane. Taxis are (thankfully) cheap, but traffic jams are the same everywhere in the world and you need to plan for potential delays. Yes, there are still lots of motorbikes but there are also BIG cars. This is nothing like the SmartCars or Minis you'll see in Europe, that is for sure! We were surprised to see that the big car was the norm rather than something less polluting.

"Dazzling Nights"

Our last group meal was at a restaurant with a terrace/balcony which overlooks the river at night toward the futuristing buildings of Pudong. There are riverboats which you can take up and down the river, and I'm sure the trip is amazing, but I totally enjoyed the view from this balcony!

Comments