Jinyan Mansion

No.3800 Chunshen Road, Minhang District, Shanghai, Shanghai Region, 201100, China
Ctrip.com

Good For No Data

More about Shanghai

Susan.......quite the hostess!!!Susan.......quite the hostess!!!

w/ our tour guide jennyw/ our tour guide jenny

Pudong constructionPudong construction

Xin Tian Di ParkXin Tian Di Park

Shanghai during Chinese new year

by nader2

Hi guys !!! I need some advice:

I will be in shanghai for business February 10-17, and I'm thinking of staying a week extra to enjoy. I know that Chinese New Year is on February 18, so what happens in Shanghai and Beijing? Do people leave the cities to go on vacation, will everything (shopping) be closed in shanghai/beijing? Or is it a good time for a tourist to be in shanghai and beijing?

Thank you !
nader

by neverstoptravel

shops all open during the holiday but close early in the new year's eve.
it's not a very good season for tourist visiting shanghai and beijing caz very cold especially beijing. local residents may leave the cities for vacation, going overseas or south such as sanya, hainan province, or lijiang, yunnan province, or yangshuo, guangxi province.
if you'd like to visit other cities rather than shanghai and beijing, it's better for yout sight seeing in shanghai or beijing in the first 3 days of the holiday, then leave the city for your futher trip, otherwise it might be very crowded and cost you much more.
personally suggest you spend first 3 days in shanghai(if not going beijing),including the day trip to zhouzhuang, suzhou or hangzhou; then fly to yangshuo/guilin for another few days, or fly to lijiang via kunming but need 2-3 days extra.
if going beijing, then have to visit great wall for 1 day, city tour for another 1-2 days, may visit xi'an for terra cotta warriors for 2-3 days.

by nader2

This is great info thank you soooo much !!

nader

by AmberlyXOXO

Hey Nader!!,

I currently teach English in South Korea. I love to travel and I wanted to check out Shanghai for Chinese New Years, but none of my friends can afford or get time off to go! I was wondering what information you got, and if you are staying for the celebrations? My email is AmberlyRundell@yahoo.com and myspace--> www.myspace.com/amberly623 Hope to hear from you!

Amberly :)

by bradyboy1978

Hi there

I'll be in Shanghai on the 17th, 18th and 19th February.
Where are the best places to go to see the Spring Festival?
As a tourist I'd really like to see the Lion Dancing etc

by neverstoptravel

Lion dancing not available in Shanghai.

by Lance_in_shanghai

I don't think many people will leave the city for Spring Festival. Most Shanghainese are deeply rooted in the city so they stay there with there families. Half of my students in university have never been out of Shanghai. It is not a holiday for vacation travel. It is a holiday for close family ties.

The past two weeks have been 15-17 degrees C in Shanghai. If that holds, you will only need a sweater. One man's "cold" is another man's "perfect". You should always have an umbrella or buy one right away for eastern or southern China. It rains about half the time in Shanghai and the air is almost alsways humid. I hate it in summer.

Feb 17 is the biggest night of the year for Chinese. They will allbe inside having a huge dinner and watching the special TV programming for Spring Festival eve.

by Lance_in_shanghai

By the way, I have seen lion dance in Shanghai.

Travel Tips for Shanghai

dont show your bare feet in public

by marora99

My sister was walking around wearing here v shaped slippers without any socks. Everyone from the guard guiding us across the street to the old lady standing next to us just looked at her feet and shook there head. Don't know what kind of a cultural taboo it was but try to wear close toed shoes

Advertising in a taxi

by angelochka

shanghai's taxis are a better way to get around...and it's cheap and everywhere!
and funny thing-they are advertising popular brands at the back of first raw seats...it can be just a plate or small tv screen showing some advertising...
so there was also a thing that made me laugh much...they were showing a video promoting some ironing thing...showing it from different perspective, close ups, focused-non focused images , price was written in huge letters...add to this some chinese popular music...
my point is - maybe that's normal, but for me, russian citisen, it was rather unreal and very funny!!!
couldnt stop laughing....

Yes they even have sandwiches

by rabbit06 about J A Cafe

Great place for lunch with an indoor outdoor flow, large glass windows to see whats going on outside while escaping the Shanghai summer high humidity!!! East meets West here and you can have a sandwich for only 18 rmb upwards and of course a good selection of beers and coffees!

Shanghai Museum

by darthmilmo

If you have an extra day or half a day, why not spend it at the new Shanghai Museum. The building looks modern on the surface, but millennium old treasures await those who venture inside. There are far too many things inside the Shanghai Museum. One can spend hours at one floor alone. I actually got a bit overwhelmed inside its doors, but the visit is definitly worth it!

Early Chinese had mastered an impressive aray of arts and crafts... this museum has an excellent collection of these items dating back to the earliest dynasties and beyond..

yvr_funk's new Shanghai Page

by yvr_funk

I went to Shanghai with my (ex)partner in December of 2001. He is a flight attendant and I went for a lay-over. I was very impressed by the modern buildings; It was my first visit to a communist country and I guess I had some pre-conceived notions.

Comments