Jiu Gong

Nanjing RoadNanjing Road

The other face of ShanghaiThe other face of Shanghai

Shanghai to Hong Kong by air

by cucaron

We are 4 people traveling to China next August. and we want to buy air tickets from Shanghai either airport to Hong Kong one way. We found them in expedia.com at a price of 225 USD each. I want to know if is easy an cheaper to buy them in Shanghai one or two days before (let me know where)or buy them in another city of China Xianor Beijing ten days before. We are not flexible with dates as we already book all the hotels and a flight back to USA the next day from Hong Kong.
Thanks

by neverstoptravel

The cheapest might be appro. USD200 plus tax one way during the summer.

Alternative way is flying to Shenzhen first, the cheapest fare during the summer might be abt USD120 plus tax one way, and transfer to Hongkong by bus at Shenzhen Airport.

by mim95

It's definitely cheaper to fly into Shenzhen instead of hk. Then hop onto a direct coach to Mongkok area of hk (cost about HK$100). It'll add an extra 3 hours or so, depending on traffic and immigration.

by grogangg

If you don't speak Chinese I wouldn't risk it. I go to Shanghai all the time, don't speak much Chinese, and I wouldn't book travel over there myself unless I had a Chinese speaker who could handle it for me.

Travel Tips for Shanghai

Bund

by Audrey118

There are some more nicer buildings...this is a rather unique red white one...it is part of the Peace Hotel....once called the Palace hotel but not as nice as the Peace.

Next door is a striking building with huge huge stone columns.... and the AIA Building Renaissance style was once upon the time the building of the oldest English newspaper in China.

Huang Pu River Cruise

by Sharrie

To complete seeing Shanghai, go on the HUANG PU RIVER CRUISE.

To a visitor, there are 3 main perspective on Shanghai; from the gutters, from the heights & from the waters. I love the heights but the waters offers some very remarkable views of this city. We took a 2 hour trip on the Huang Pu River & enjoyed ourselves tremendously.

We paid about RMB 90 for a special class A on the top deck but I think one could get a cheaper rate on a smaller boat & lower deck.

Guizhou Food in Shanghai

by gaolei about Qian Xiang

Here is a chance to try Guizhou food in Shanghai. I did not know much about the food from this area before or after going to this restaurant. It was great food, but I am not sure what distinguishes it from Guangzhou food. Everything was first class from tase to service. I would have no problem taking anything on the menu and enjoying it.

Great facials at Tongxinyuan

by lindyz

We accidentally found this beauty spa while wandering down Fuzhou Road, it is in a smaller road that runs off Fuzhou, I dont have the exact address. The first treatment we had here was a facial for only 58rmb = about $10AUD - and it was simply heavenly! We went back for another one on another day. We also had a one hour body massage there, along with the facial. While the facial was once again divine, I would NOT really recommend the body massage! It was VERY hard and left us feeling worse than when we started. The one hour massage was 88rmb = about $16AUD, so while it was quite good value, I would not say it was exactly value for money!

They also do skin care treatments, bust treatments (?), oil and hot stone massages, and hair extensions, cuts and washes here.

Shanghai - feel the city life of China

by gwen_tifa

I would say this is one of the most develop regions of China. Spent a whole day at Nanjing Lu in Puxi (it's really a long stretch of shops) and your night enjoying the neon lights lighted up along the streets and walk towards the Huang Pu River look across the Pearl Tower in Pudong. You'll immediately fall in love with Shanghai! It's also the busiest city I've ever seen in my life. If you take notice, the locals walk at a very fast pace. Do not even be surprised that your chances of being employed is also judged by your walking pace. As far as I have heard from friends and locals working in this city, working overtime is not uncommon. Indeed, it appears that the Chinese are relatively hardworking people. Despite the fact that this city is much develop and doors are quite open, the "guanxi' (relationship) factor is still in existent. Putting that aside, this populous city is qutie scary somehow. Take the subway/skytrain (or in mandarin, it's called 'di tie'), you have to force your way into the train or u get pushed out. And if you are trying to get out, it's the reverse. It's really quite an experience! Watch out for your pockets too! Pickpockets are still quite rampant so always be alert. If you have ample time, visit Shanghai old street, Xiang Yang Market and the Shanghai Museum. Oh, don't forget to try out Yong He Soy bean milk! If food is your pasttime, take a walk to Wu Jiang lu. There are cheap and great eateries along the stretch of roads. There are more reasons for you to visit Shanghai. If you're game for drinking, try Mao Tai or Huang Jiu for something heavy (it's about 50% alcohol!). For light beers, try tsing dao or the REEB beer.

Comments