Shanghai Hotels

Our Members Say

• SWFC_Fan profile photo SWFC_Fan
  • Reviews: 1283

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

A Live Design Hotel: Good value modern hotel on Nanjing Road (West)

I stayed at A Live Design Hotel for 7 nights during a visit to Shanghai in May 2008.

I booked this hotel via www.hostelworld.com and paid 299 RMB (22 GBP) per night for a 1 bed private room with en-suite facilities.

Location

A Live Design Hotel is located on Nanjing Road (West). The closest metro station is Nanjing Road (West), which is on metro line #2 and is a 5 minute walk from the hotel. In the opposite direction, People’s Square metro station (which connects lines 1, 2 and 8) is a 10 minute walk away.

Arriving from Pudong International airport, I caught the high speed Maglev train to Longyang Road (50 RMB / 4 GBP: journey time 7 minutes) and then transferred to the metro at Longyang Road station (on line #2). I took the metro from there to Nanjing Road (West), at a cost of just 4 RMB (0.30 GBP), with a journey time of around 15 minutes.

The pedestrianised shopping street of Nanjing Road (East) is a 15 minute walk from the hotel, leading to the riverside Bund (a total walking time of 45 minutes – 1 hour).

The modern shopping malls of Nanjing Road (West) and the bars and restaurants of Tongren Road are a 10-15 minute walk away.

Directly opposite the hotel, you will find the bustling food street of Wujiang Road – a street full of local restaurants selling good value local dishes and take away snacks.

Bedroom

My single room contained a huge king sized bed, a large flat screen TV, coffee and tea making facilities, a telephone, a desk and chair, clothes hangers, wall mirrors, bedside cabinets and lamps. The TV picked up around 50 channels, most of which were Chinese and other Asian channels, with only 1 channel (CCTV9) broadcasting in English. Wi-fi access is available in all rooms.

There was no wardrobe in the room (just a few hangers attached to a shelf on the wall) and there was no fridge or mini-bar.

The room was air-conditioned. The room temperature can be individually set by guests via a control panel next to the door.

The electricity sockets were rather complex looking and seemed to be able to accommodate a variety of different plug types. I used my standard two round pin European adaptor, as the sockets didn’t accommodate British style 3 pin plugs.

The room had a large window, but it looked out onto a section of the hotel’s corridor. The area of the corridor onto which the window looked out was blocked off to guests (by the strategic placing of large flower pots), so you wouldn’t have to worry about people walking by looking into your room. I tended to keep the curtains closed anyway, as I was only ever in my room at night. Despite the lack of natural light in the room, there were lots of bright ceiling lights to ensure that the room was very well lit.

The bathroom was spacious and immaculately clean. It contained a washbasin and a surface for housing toiletries down one side of the room, with the shower in the centre of the room and the toilet and towel rack at the other side of the room. A host of complimentary toiletries were provided, while further items (such as razors, hair products and boxes of condoms) were provided in the bathroom and had price tags attached to them should guests wish to use them.

There was always ample hot water whenever I took a shower, and the maids changed my three towels every day without fail.

Maid service is carried out daily. Beware that the maids start their rounds early, so if you don’t want to be awoken by the ringing of your door bell at 7am, be sure to put the “privacy requested” sign on your door handle before going to bed. I learnt that lesson after being awoken several hours earlier than I wanted to be on my first morning!

General

The hotel is 8 storeys high and has two lifts. The 2nd floor is a large restaurant, the 3rd floor contains the reception desk and the higher floors contain the guest rooms.

The cheapest rooms (like the one that I stayed in) are standard single rooms at 299 RMB per night. There are double rooms, triple rooms, suites and family rooms – with the most expensive rooms costing 699 RMB per night (as at May 2008).

No breakfast is included in the room rate, but I noticed that the in-house restaurant was open early in the morning should you wish to purchase breakfast.

Due to a re-scheduling of my flight time, I arrived at the hotel early on a Monday morning. I had already booked the room from the Sunday night and figured that I might as well leave the booking unchanged so that I could check in straight away when I arrived on the Monday, rather than cancel the first night. The check in staff allowed me to check in immediately, and kindly deducted the cost of the Sunday night from my bill.

At the time of my visit, there was a small amount of building work going on near the entrance to the hotel. It appears that a sandwich shop/café is in the process of being built on the ground floor. The building work was never an inconvenience.

A good value modern hotel, with clean and comfortable rooms and a favourable location close to many sights and good transport links. Recommended!

• Written May 31, 2008

A Live Design Hotel, Shanghai

• lindyz profile photo lindyz
  • Reviews: 540

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Jin Jiang Metropole Hotel Shanghai: Old world accommodation in the heart of Shanghai

After some problems with our initial booking at the A-Live Design Hotel, we then had to search for and choose an alternative place to rest our heads in Shanghai. After much helpful suggestions and information from fellow VTers, we decided on the Metropole. I liked its old world charm, this Hotel was built in the 1930's so I perceived it have have character. Other people did tell me that "old world charm" can often equal "problems and antiquated plumbing!"

I proceeded to do something never before attempted by yours truly ..... I searched the internet for the best price and .... I booked it on-line! Woaahhhh - a truly small step for mankind, but a HUGE step for Lindy!!! I booked it through expedia.com and the price was simply amazing - only $72AUD per room per night, equals an amazing $36 per person per night, to stay right in the heart of Shanghai.

Anyway, when our taxi pulled up outside the Metropole I was pleasantly surprised, and even more so when we entered the lobby. The lobby in this place is simply gorgeous, straight out of a 1930's movie. Staff were very friendly and spoke very good english. All good so far. Our room was on the 4th floor and our window overlooked busy Jianxi Road.

The room was a superior room, slightly larger than a standard room, with plenty of space. The bathroom was in dire need of a make-over and the plumbing ... well, it was very temperamental, seemed to have a mind of its own! Sometimes the toilet just did not want to flush and the shower seemed to alter the temperature day by day! But, overall, we were very happy with our 7 night stay at the Metropole. I would definitely stay there again, and I would highly recommend this place to future travellers.

We ate in the Restaurant "Shanghai Gardens" twice, and the food was ok, nothing fantastic but certainly edible and very well priced.

Location and Old World Charm.

• Written October 4, 2009

Exterior of the Metropole

• herzog63 profile photo herzog63
  • Reviews: 2254

Pujiang Hotel: Good Dorms

I ended up checking out the Pujiang Hotel because I had heard about from a couple of other travelers while I was in Beijing...They said it was cheap and a cool building...Well they were semi-correct..It was a beautiful old wooden building that had the charm of days gone by! But on the other hand It was the most expensive place that I stayed at in my 30 days in China at the steep price of 19 FEC US$5.19 !! hahaha Most of you will laugh but I was on a 7 month trip and had to watch my money very close to be able to complete the trip. The 19 FEC was for a bed in a 4 bed dorm room. It also included breakfast. I don't remember what they had for breakfast as I didn't note it in my journal.

Close to the River and has great charm. I don't have a photo of it so I thought I'd share this photo of the proud Papa with his baby. These prices will not be accurate as my trip was in 1987!!

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Business Travel, Trains
  • Written September 29, 2003

Proud Papa

• goglobe profile photo goglobe
  • Reviews: 120

Radisson Lansheng Hotel

Lansheng Hotel is located up north-east ot the city, not centrally located at all, but it has spacious, clean and quiet rooms to my delight. This picture shows the room's view overlooking the road junction in the morning when the roads are all busy, with people going to work in bicylces. Notice the flyovers and several incomplete sections due to be connected with other adjacent flyovers.

• Written September 4, 2003

room with a Shanghai view

• Azri_Azmi profile photo Azri_Azmi
  • Reviews: 161

Ramada Xin Yuan Hotel: A Peaceful Hotel But Not Far From Tourist Spots

Rated 3 stars and some rate it as 4 stars hotel. As for me, personally, I gave Ramada Xin Yuan a 3 stars hotel. Situated along Cao Bao Road, a bit outskirt but still it is inside the Shanghai town area. Stayed in this hotel 5 days.

Rooms offers basic setup and toilet is very clean. Comfortable bed. Decoration in the room is kinda like an international decore, not adopting the chinese decoration. 29 inches TV in room with more than 80 channels to choose from. Only 3 channel in English (CNN, an Australian Channel & HBO), others all in Chinese.

Staff at reception counter can speak English well but others not.

Some of the hotel facilities are Gymnasium, Business Centre, Restaurants and Health Centre. This is my comment for the said facilities :-

1) Gymnasium = Basic amenities but comfy as not many guest prefer to exercise in hotel nowadays.
2) Business Centre = Used the computer facilities once for accessing my email. The Internet Explorer is in Chinesse, so just use your own expertise in how well you can memories all those commands in the Internet Explorer. During usage, once activate the computer, Symantec Antivirus warned about a virus detection. No choice but to use it. The charge for internet usage is RMB9.00 per 15 minutes. Expensive but no choice.
3) Restaurant = During my 5 days stay in this hotel, I only managed to taste their buffet breakfast. Not much in variety of menu for breakfast. As a muslim, I had my breakfast daily in this hotel by choosing bread, honey, fruits, yogurts, cheese and juices.
4) Health Centre = Tried 2 different massage. 1st is the Head, Shoulder & Back massage. Its a 45 minutes massage. Rated just okay for me. 2nd is the Reflexology Massage. Made a special request asking for 2 hours Reflexology. This massage is great and recommended.

The only negative point about this hotel is the location. There is no interesting places to go nearby (walking distant). But for some, this offer a very peaceful and calm environment to take rest.

If you are planning or happen to stay in this hotel, please try the Reflexology/Foot massage.

• Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel, Arts and Culture
  • Written September 23, 2006

The Lobby

• rabbit06 profile photo rabbit06
  • Reviews: 205

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Apartment living!: Great location!

How fantastic our stay was in this large, very pleasant apartment complex with everything you would have back home! Unfortunately i did not blend in that well, but over a little time think the locals stopped staring at the ''westener''.......lmao.!!!

The location is great, a short stroll to the Lotus Mall and you find Song Hong Road Metro Station....very convenient! Also the food court on the ground floor of the Lotus Mall has a good selection and is very, very cheap for a quick lunch or dinner on the run!

• Related to: Family Travel, Work Abroad, Study Abroad
  • Written January 14, 2010
Tip Photo

That's us on the far left!

• gaolei profile photo gaolei
  • Reviews: 288

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Golden Tulip Ashar Suites - Shanghai Central: Best Price & location in Jing An district

Update - This is was Pacific Grande Hotel until a few years ago, then it was Central View Suites, now it is part of the Golden Tulip chain. Nothing has changed except the name. They are rebuilding the rooms and restaurant, so the interior will soon be new. It presently looks worn, but don't let that put you off from considering this hotel.

The rooms generally consist of 3 rooms, King bed room, living room and bath. The room includes a small kitchen area with a microwave, sink, fridge, hotplate stove and dishes. Just enough for a simple breakfast or meal. There is also a desk , and WIFI is available.

Internet generally cost more. If you intend to use the internet for longer periods of time, it is better to upgrade your room to executive level for an extra 100 RMB. You get a bigger room, Executive lounge, and free internet. It is well worth the extra money that you would normally spend just for internet.

This hotel offers the amenities of a one bedrooml apartment in a hotel environment.

On the bad side, the bed is a little too hard and the breakfast on the 9th floor is much too expensive at 130 RMB. There are better restaurants in the surrounding malls with much lower prices. They often have free breakfast for two as part of the package, however.

The location is excellent. It is surrounded by shopping malls and big hotels. The Jing An temple is close, as is, Tongren road bars and my favorite restaurants, Bi Feng Tang and Yuan Yuan. The subway line 2 is just a few blocks away.

They now have no English language TV, except CCTV channel 9, the Chinese news channel.

• Related to: Business Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written September 7, 2006

• imstress profile photo imstress
  • Reviews: 1973

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

QianHe Hotel: QianHe Hotel

QianHe Hotel is located in XuHui area nearby the junction of XuJiaHui commercial district and Shanghai Everbright Convention & Exhibition Center.

It enjoys easy access to both Hongqiao and Pudong international airports and is also close to the subway connecting Puxi to Pudong.

the business center offers high speed internet connection.
It has a Disco, fitness center, beauty saloon, gift shop, chinese restaurant, lobby bar, western restaurant.

• Written December 27, 2004

QianHe Hotel

• easterntrekker profile photo easterntrekker
  • Reviews: 2084

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

General: A very comfortable place to stay

We had a nice room and as a bonus CNN was on TV. Breakfast was both western and Chinese buffet . Very good.

We liked the silk duvets on the bed. Its only 20RMB for a cab to the Bund

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written November 18, 2007
Tip Photo

• funky_pigeon profile photo funky_pigeon
  • Reviews: 83

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Shanghai Starwave Hotel: Not bad for the price!

This hotel was found by a chinese friend for us. Its also fairly easy to get to as when you get out of the train station, you get on a 510 bus and get off at the terminus which is to the north east of the town, only about 4 km from the Bund and other sights. There is a ferry terminus nearby which will take you over to pudong for 1 Yuan.

The hotel is quite smart with your own bathroom, consisting of bath, shower, western toilet and clean towels daily. The bedroom has kettle (Good for making the instant noodles), tv,big double bed and table and chairs and comes with air conditioning as standard.

The room rates are displayed on the board in reception and the staff can understand basic english. There is a restaurant attached to the hotel, but bring a phase book as they don't have an english menu and they can just order straight from the phase book.

The trivck is to ask for a free membership card - this is what our chinese friend did for us and we ended up with a room that cost 138 yuan a night. We never got the membership card as i think thats too much paper work, but if you enquire about it you are entiled to +20% the room rate, so for a standard room at 198 it gets reduced to 138 - Bargin in Shanghai!

The manager is Matthew and canb speak good english

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel, Women's Travel
  • Written October 23, 2005

• racayadi profile photo racayadi
  • Reviews: 54

7th HEAVEN HOTEL: PERFECT LOCATION

Right on Nanjing Rd - near metro stop Henan Zhong Lu, also near People's Square, the River, Bund and Peace Hotel, right on Century Square by the Howard Johnson...

has big store on main floor - have to take elevator to 7th floor to reach the lobby....
FOUND IT ON WWW.SINOHOTEL.COM

comfortable room -- great price

• Related to: Singles, Business Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written August 9, 2006

• marora99 profile photo marora99
  • Reviews: 14

Websites that offer lower hotel rates

before my trip to shanghai I researched religiously on line for hotels. www.sinohotel.com and www.asiahotels.com had better rates and more selection of hotels to choose from than expedia or orbitz.com. Make sure to check these out.

• Related to: School Holidays, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written August 24, 2005

• traveloturc profile photo traveloturc
  • Reviews: 1633

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

New World Mayfair Hotel: Good one

The hotel is situated in a very good location and you can find all kind of activities around the hotel.Very clean and helpful staff .. you can relax after so many hours of flying ...my room was situated on the 16 th floor with a superb view to a pool !!!

• Written December 14, 2007

the entrance

• marecky profile photo marecky
  • Reviews: 12

Jin jiang Jiulong: 3 star hotel - highly recommended

The stay was part of the package holiday in China and only lasted 3 nights but:

- it is a really nice hotel
- modern rooms
- try to ask for a higher floor ( from 15 - 20 floor) - the view will be magnificent
- rooms equipped with cooling/heating mineral water device
- very comfortable beds
- window in the bathroom
- slightly disappointing breakfast as it looks they are not sure whether to go for European or Chinese and finally there is not a big choice at all...

PLUSES:

- elegant rooms
- central location
- hot/cold water device in the room
- good value for money

• Related to: Arts and Culture
  • Written May 31, 2007

in the restaurant

• bitbit profile photo bitbit
  • Reviews: 44

Nanjing Hotel: Good budget hotel in the heart of Nanjing Road

Very conveniently located along Nanjing Walking street, the hotel is within easy reach to metro stations (Henan Road Stop, People's Park Stop), tourist attractions (the Bund, People's Park, Shanghai museum) as well as many eateries and departmental stores. The room was clean, adequately and comfortably furnished (much better than most of the other budget hotels located along Nanjing Rd). There's not much of a view though 'cos it's on a side-street off Nanjing walking street. A room with window will cost approx. 350RMB, cheaper rooms are also available at around 300RMB or less with either no windows or with smaller single beds. Good price for its excellent location! Very ideal for budget conscious travelers.

Excellent location!!!