Mandarine City Service Apartment

Mingdu Dake Sina Hotel
Ctrip.com Agoda.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Shanghai

Bun filled with the Crab Soup in Nanxiang Bun ShopBun filled with the Crab Soup in Nanxiang Bun Shop

street stallstreet stall

Shops on Old Street, ShanghaiShops on Old Street, Shanghai

Another tanker in for repairs.Another tanker in for repairs.

Tour to HangZhou and Zhouzhuang

by happymansingapore

Hi, we will be in Shanghai for a business trip next week and have a free day for relaxation. We are thinking of travelling to Hangzhou and Zhouzhuang (or Wu Zhen).

Is there anywhere we can get a car cum driver (non-English speaking is ok) for a full day for this? How much will it cost ?

Thanks !!

by ellyse

Is your free day on a weekend, or weekday?
I wouldn't recommend Zhouzhuang at all, too touristy and crowded. Wuzhen is also quite touristy.
If you're going to Hangzhou, just do that for the day, don't rush. I would instead suggest that you take the nice new D trains there instead of getting a vehicle from Shanghai.
Let me know by VTMail if you want help organising this.

by bluebog

Hi Ellyse,
Could you provide some suggestions on how to plan for a day trip (where to take trains, etc) to Hangzhou as I will have 7-9 nights in Shanghai in September. Thanks for your help :)

by ellyse

If you have so many days in Shanghai, take an overnight trip to Hangzhou, not a daytrip.
What are your dates of stay in Shanghai?
You might also like to VTMail me instead.

by Greatorient

U could take a train at the Shanghai South Railway Station ,it'll take u less than 2 hours from Shanghai to Hangzhou ,every hour there will be a train,enjoy urself!

Travel Tips for Shanghai

Environment

by simcard

The condition of environment is getting better and better in Shanghai. Even though the air quality still isn't so good compared to some European cities, it is better than some other big cities in China I've been to, such as Beijing.

Urban plantings are more and more seen in the city, which really lights up the city. When I leave Shanghai, I would never forget these beautiful flowers I can see almost everywhere in this city.

Having fun ... night-life in Shanghai

by dhesteban about window2

This is the main meeting point of the local "laowai" and all the girls are here to cacha white guy ... they are not hookers at all .. they are at diff. places ... so windows2: the drink is cheap, cheaper then other nigh clubs ... 10RMB for beer / martiny or what you want ...

French Café in French Concession

by nomadig about Cafe Montmartre

Shanghai was shared between Western powers on 19th century, and the former French part, known as French Concession, contains still some French charm and is a nice area to stroll around in general.

Cafe Montmartre could be located anywhere in French, and you wouldn't spot much difference -- except that the staff is Chinese. The cafe is conveniently located next to the Xiangyang Market, and it sells European coffees, sandwiches, cakes and also some bigger meals.

The prices are somewhat higher than in local cafes in Shanghai, but from the Western European point of view this place is still decently priced. Cafe au lait, soda and a sandwich costed approximately seven euros. The patrons seemed to consists mostly tourists, as these prices will keep locals out.

Pamper yourself at Dragonfly

by lindyz

We had discovered a Dragonfly Retreat near our Hotel in Beijing and visited it many times. In Shanghai we were struggling and failing to find somewhere to give us a good pedicure. On our morning trip to Da gu Road to buy videos, I heard Tracy screaming out the taxi window "Oh my God, Ive just found another Dragonfly!!!" Needless to say, we were rather happy about stumbling on this little piece of paradise. We made an appointment for 1pm and after we had bought our dvd's and had lunch with Papa Mario, we mosied on down for some pampering. I had a deluxe pedicure and a head and shoulder massage and Tracy had a pedicure and a manicure. My 2 treatments cos 317rmb = about $56AUD, which is expensive for China standards but still very cheap for Australian standards, and a price we were more than willing to pay! My toe-nail polish is divine (and still on my toes as at 6/10!) a bright orange colour which I chose because of its name - "Nicole alert" - dedicated to my friend Nicole that I went to Thailand with!

My Shanghai

by allenzag

"The Cosmopolitan City"

While I thought Beijing was the Cultural Capitol, Shanghai has to be the cosmopolitan city. the largest City in China, I think, and while Beijing in 1996-97 was old, Shanghai is new. High rise buildings mingle with old European style architecture.

I'll be writing more as I get my home page done..............

Comments