Metropole Hotel Shanghai

Satisfaction Average

Costs 73% more and rated 11% lower than other 3 star hotels

• Lionshart's Profile Photo

Great for location

I highly recommend this hotel because its great value for money, and its location is perfect in the city of Shanghai. You are 400meters walk from the Bund, 600m from Nanjing road, and 1km walk to Yu gardens ( I walked it twice, great exercise). The hotel is known by a handful of different and confusing names but its simply called Metropole Hotel Shanghai. The staff are very good and helpful and the food is decent. If I ever visit the city again, I will definately stay here, no doubt.

Unique Quality: The facilities here are what you would expect from any decent hotel.

• albaaust's Profile Photo

Cheap but great location

The Metropole is a Baroque style hotel built in 1930 and has 145 guestrooms. The beauty of this hotel was its outstanding location and its price. It is 5 minutes away from the Bund and equally close to Nanjing Road and the subway Henan Road or Nanjing Road east. Rooms were comfortable, bathroom Ok, business centre, restaurant on site (but don't eat dinner here)

However, there was noise from the street as the roads were being repaired.It is also badly in need of refurbishment.

When we complained we given the option of upgrading and for 30Yuan have a computer in our room - what could we do???

Cost for 6 nights US$336 plus 30 yuan

Unique Quality: Without a doubt location - close to Nanjing Road, the subway and the Bund.

The addition of a computer was a bonus!!

Directions: Catch subway to Henan Road/Nanjing Road East and walk along Nanjing towards the Bund- turn at Jiangxi Road

• Flipboy's Profile Photo

Nice

Metropole hotel wasn't the best hotel but I quite liked the art deco style of the building and interior that brought you back to the hotels hay-day.

What the web says:

Credit Cards accepted-
    Master Card, American Express, Diners Club, International, JCB, Visa, Bank of Communications, Great Wall and Peony Card.

The Hotel boasts 8 food & beverage outlets of different styles:

-The Metropole Hall, featuring a characteristic chafing dish menu for the four seasons;
    -Delicious City, a multi-function hall with deluxe sound and light-equipment, appropriate for a cocktail party, entertainment party, buffet reception, dance party or a business talk;
    -Zi Lai Hall, noted for its splendid green and gold decor;
    -Jing Ying Hall, an exquisite banquet hall;
    -Xiang Yue Hall, a Chinese banquet hall with distinctive national features;
    -The Hall, equipped with Karaoke and serving Shanghai specialities;
    -The American Bar, recreating the mood of Europe of the 18th Century.
    The bar is one of the special features of the Metropole Hotel. It was a famous bar in Shanghai in the 1930's and was one of the great bars of that time.
    With its peaceful surroundings and quality service, the cellar bar offers an excellent selection of foreign wines, freshly-ground coffee, and traditional drinks to go with its French menu.

Additional Services:

-The Business center is equipped with photocopy machine, telex, fax, Chinese and English typewriters and DHL World express facilities.
    -The Shopping center offers purchasing & mailing gift service for hotel guests.
    -The Hotel has a booking office for ship, train and airplane tickets; laundry service; morning call; and all standard services to meet your needs.

Directions: about one block from Nanjing Rd

More about Metropole Hotel Shanghai

Old world accommodation in the heart of Shanghai

by lindyz about Jin Jiang Metropole Hotel Shanghai

After some problems with our initial booking at the A-Live Design Hotel, we then had to search for and choose an alternative place to rest our heads in Shanghai. After much helpful suggestions and information from fellow VTers, we decided on the Metropole. I liked its old world charm, this Hotel was built in the 1930's so I perceived it have have character. Other people did tell me that "old world charm" can often equal "problems and antiquated plumbing!"

I proceeded to do something never before attempted by yours truly ..... I searched the internet for the best price and .... I booked it on-line! Woaahhhh - a truly small step for mankind, but a HUGE step for Lindy!!! I booked it through expedia.com and the price was simply amazing - only $72AUD per room per night, equals an amazing $36 per person per night, to stay right in the heart of Shanghai.

Anyway, when our taxi pulled up outside the Metropole I was pleasantly surprised, and even more so when we entered the lobby. The lobby in this place is simply gorgeous, straight out of a 1930's movie. Staff were very friendly and spoke very good english. All good so far. Our room was on the 4th floor and our window overlooked busy Jianxi Road.

The room was a superior room, slightly larger than a standard room, with plenty of space. The bathroom was in dire need of a make-over and the plumbing ... well, it was very temperamental, seemed to have a mind of its own! Sometimes the toilet just did not want to flush and the shower seemed to alter the temperature day by day! But, overall, we were very happy with our 7 night stay at the Metropole. I would definitely stay there again, and I would highly recommend this place to future travellers.

We ate in the Restaurant "Shanghai Gardens" twice, and the food was ok, nothing fantastic but certainly edible and very well priced. Location and Old World Charm.

shangha transport

by gibbo6790

could anybody tell me hot to get from pudong airport to the crowne plazza hotel which is at 1000 yang ga road in the pudong area. Also i would like information on how to get from the hotel to the cruise terminal. thanks

by puerto_lover

On the Crowne Plaza Hotel web page it has some directions and a map. It says this about the airport transfer:

Pudong International Airport (PVG) - Distance: 50 KM / 31.07 MI South West to Hotel
Taxi Charge (one way): CNY200.0 (CNY) (around US$30 if my XE is correct)

by nomad7890

Ask the hotel to send you the address and name to the hotel and the correct name and address to the cruise terminal in Chinese. You may have to ask the cruise people for the address of the cruise terminal.

Personally I would take the MAGLEV to the end of the station, then from there take a taxi to your hotel - you'll save time and money, and have a real cool ride.

You can get the official site for Maglev at the end of this wikipedia link under external references.

There's nothing exciting in the road from the airport to central Shanghai - and I find MAGLEV the best out of the airport.

by balramdass

Funnyly enough I was going to post the same question as we are going on a cruise with the 1st night at the same hotel
Its a small world :-)

by lindyz

I would still opt for a taxi, just as it will be easier if you have a lot of luggage. We were excited about the opportunity to take the Maglev from Central Shanghai to Pudong airport last month, but decided against it, as we had heaps of luggage, 2 women with 4 very heavy suitcases!!! I was told there would be steps and excalators to deal with, so we took a taxi instead. The Maglev would have been fun, fast and quite cheap though.

And YOU MUST get every destination written in Chinese with an address for taxi drivers, as they understand very little (usually none!) english!

by lindyz

Oh, and Niges quote of the taxi estimated fare is spot on! It cost us 210rmb one way from central Shanghai, Metropole Hotel, to Pudong Airport. And the bonus was that the taxi driver lifted our heavy suitcases in and out of the car!!!

by ellyse

Taxi both ways, and have your destinations printed in Chinese characters for everyone's benefit.

Comments