New Harbour Serviced Apartments Shanghai

Agoda.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• vacanciere's Profile Photo

Convenient location, clean rooms

My family and I stayed at New Harbour Serviced Apartments twice in our recent trip to Shanghai. We appreciated the clean, spacious rooms. For a family of four, we had 2 bedrooms, a bathroom, living and dining areas and two tvs, kitchen (service for exactly 4). Broadband internet access is available in the rooms and wifi in the lobby.

New Harbour Serviced Apartments is also conveniently located - not far from the Bund, two blocks down to Line 8 subway, Dashijie, nearby bakeries, supermarkets, ICBC (bank), casual dining and fast food restaurants.

When we left Shanghai for 2 days, we were able to leave our excess luggage for storage at no extra charge. The staff is usually very helpful. There is also a good, well-maintained indoor pool. There is nothing special about the breakfast, and a public areas of the hotel - especially since they are air conditioned - should remain smoke-free. This is definitely a place I would recommend to my friends, and I would stay here again if I would have the chance to come back to Shanghai.

Unique Quality: Convenient location. Clean rooms.

• bojomacaraig's Profile Photo

Not suited for budget travel

New Harbour Service Apartment Hotel is not suited for a budget traveler. Its a 4-star hotel with rate of 130USD, but I was very satisfied during my stay.

For budget traveler I would suggest the EAst Asia Hotel in Nanjing road wherein i stayed also during my trip in Shanghai.

Unique Quality: with pool, gym great view while breakfast is not so good, maybe because there was not much vegetarian foods on buffet table.

• anthonyrickard's Profile Photo

Go for the Upgrade

We hit Shanghai for a week at the invitation of Virgin; just 30,000 miles each and £140. Had a very entertaining time, and were particularly impressed with New Harbour apartments. The apartment we booked was a bit shabby, and the bed like a rock; however, leaving herself for a liedown I checked out the two superior grades. Go for the Executive Suite!

Basically three rooms, kitchen and bathroom, tastefully decorated and furnished, aircon of course, kingsize bed which is soft (by Chinese standards, firm but very comfortable by ours)

Unique Quality: Ask for a view of the Bund. Some distance away, but the skyscrapers and Pearl Tower make for some memorable vews across the river. The study contains a desk and computer with internet access - broadband - which was very useful for checking events. I recommend the Shanghaiist as an expat website; introduced us to a fine 4th July entertainment...

Broadband included in the room rate, which worked out at about US$70 per night. Crazy..

In house restaurant good for breakfast, very average otherwise. Room service likewise. The kitchen comes with a microwave but no crockery cutlery, pots pans or utensils - just glasses.

Buy your beer and wine at the supermarket opposite the main entrance - 1/4 minibar prices.

Avoid the bar in the hotel lobby. Tiny, poor atmosphere and very high prices. Barmaids ok if you're desperate for company!

Directions: Downtown close to Bund. Get a card from reception to carry for return taxis. Have reception write destination in chinese for you to avoid language problems; about half the cabbies speak some english.

• kphstar's Profile Photo

Spacious Apartment

The Service Apartment was ideal for our needs. it was loacted in a convenience loaction. Close to all the main attractions and easily accessible by taxi.

We booked out a 3 bedroom apartment and it was spacious, clean and quiet. There is a kitchen with fresh mineral water dispenser. This is a big plus in anyone's book.

The only draw backs were that there was not cutlery in the kitchen and the beds were too hard. The Chinese enjoy their hard beds. Unfortunately, they thought that we'd like it too. It took me a day or two to get use to the spine straighten experience.

Unique Quality: Print out the attached picture. I found it very useful when getting around in taxis.

More about New Harbour Serviced Apartments Shanghai

Staying in Shanghai

by mc92374 about New Harbour Service Apts

The best places to stay for a reasonable price are the various service apartments. I often stay at the New Harbour Service Apartments, but also like Celebrity Service Apts among others. A suite runs around $80usd/night New Harbour service apts is close to Nanjing Road, People's Square, The Bund. I usually walk everywhere. It's also a block from Yunnan road where I love to eat with the locals.

Restaurant Owner

by mc92374 about not sure..take a step up onto the red carpet!

My favorite foodie haunt in Shanghai is Yunnan Road (aka: Yummie Food Road). It's walkable distance from the New Harbour Service Apartments. You'll find delightful local restaurants featuring food from all areas of China, and the prices are great! You won't see many tourists there, which I consider to be a major plus. It's all good!

budget hotel

by SangAji about how do hotel shanghai

was staying next door at new harbour service apartment, looked up this hotel in view of rates... will consider staying here for next trip... well kept, staff spoke english, rates are reasonable, good central location ... walking distance to city centre, next door to internet centre etc .. rosewood furnitures!

Good value

by TripAdvisor Member CLAREYE

Good points:
Convenient location - many resturants within walking distance;
Staff are helpful and honest (I left a skirt in the wardrobe, it was returned to me when I was checking out);
Thorough room cleaning everyday;

Not so goods points:
Beds are extremely hard, hope they can add a pad to it if the beds are not to be replaced soon;
Bedroom carpet is very dirty, hope it can be replaced by wood floor as living room;
Breakfast can be better; Try to eat out as much as you can.

Clean & Value for your money

by TripAdvisor Member Anonymous8

Stayed here for 3 nights in mid-September (actually, I was booked to stay for a week, but my plans changed and they accomodated my change). I booked a 1-bedroom unit, but upon check-in, they ran out and gave me a 2-bedroom for the same price. The room is well laid out and clean. Bed is not as hard as indicated by another reviewer - typical type of bed in China. The location is convenient - a quick walk to Huai Hai Road and to Xin Tian Di. The immediate surrounding of the hotel is more of a "local area". They have internet access to the rooms and in the business centre, but they charge extra for that. The breakfast provided is okay, nothing great. Definitely value for your money.

Excellent value

by TripAdvisor Member AKR/jfr

Excellent value for money and quite well situated- the apartment was spotlessly clean and even offered inclusive internet. Great for families. Reception was ok although english of staff was limited. Good laundry facilites - altogether a very successful stay.Some breakfasts included in price - a good selection of chinese and western food -I will definitely come back to this accommodation

location-price-quality combination hard to beat

by TripAdvisor Member chib0

Booked this in Nov 06 through Expedia - this gives an excellent discount if booked together with the flight. Called them a day before, was immediately connected to an English-speaking assistant who confirmed the booking and immediately agreed for an early check-in.

A nice high-rise in an area, which otherwise is somewhat dull, but safe and with a good number of services (shops, restaurants, internet cafe etc) nearby. The big advantage is that this is in roughly equal distance from all major attractions: Bund, Xitiandi/Frenchtown, Old town, Nanjing shopping area, People's Square. You can get to any of these on foot within reasonable time, or if you are tired of walking, by cab for 11 yuan (~1euro/70pence) in most cases. Taxi to/from the airport was 45 minutes/150 yuan. Taxi drivers don't usually know this place so printing out a map with address from their website in advance will be helpful.

We had a 'delux' suite on the 22nd floor, which was clean, quite spacious, air-conditioned (separate units for the bedroom and lounge), with tv, wc, bath with shower, hairdryer and enough furniture for a small family: double bed, sofa, armchair, dining table with 3-4 chairs, coffee table, and plenty of storage for clothes in the bedroom. Kitchen is a separate small room with large fridge, gas cooker, microwave, sink and a water dispenser.

Kitchen utensils you have to rent - we got a kettle for an occasional cup of tea, but could not get the cooker to work (so we microwaved water instead). We did not bother much about this, but I imagine it could be more important for anyone with kids or if staying for a longer time - then you would really like to cook for yourself. I'm sure they would fix it though, as they promptly reacted to our other requests, we just did not care to go and ask.

Another strange thing about the kitchen was that the water in the complimentary watertank was for some reason heated, not cooled - I could not find any button to change this, so the water was warm (but not hot enough for tea) all the time. Perhaps I should have unplugged the whole thing.

The furniture and decor are occasionally mildly dated but otherwise make an impression of new and well-maintained. Hard flooring was a very nice difference from the usual Anglo-American fitted carpet with all its grease, stains and dust (have a sniff in the '5-star' Peace Hotel, for example, to understand what I mean). The maid service is efficient, they really scrub the place clean every day.

The best thing was to have a real apartment with more than one rooms and windows with different views, instead of being locked in a 'single cell' confinement, however luxurious that might be. Being able to rest when your partner is watching TV or working in the other room is also essential for a jet-lagged traveler.

Most serviced apartments I stayed in before compromise on service in some way: they would provide cleaning only once a week and will frequently charge you for a final cleaning; they almost never have typical hotel facilities. This is not the case at the New Harbour though: you get daily cleaning at no extra charge, 24/7 reception service, swimming pool with sauna, business centre with Internet PCs, breakfast (good), 2 restaurants (decent), a bar (hugely overpriced), fridge with drinks (cheap) and hairdressers (good and very cheap).

Breakfast is included for one person, for more people you have to pay 50 yuan (5euro/3.3pounds) per person - very reasonable for the varied and substantial fare (both Chinese and European) you get there.

Most staff speaks some English, so we did not have many problems with this. They are not overly friendly but are sufficiently efficient.

Among the glitches, I already listed the gas cooker thing (they didn't seem to charge for the kettle though). Another mild problem was with all PCs using Chinese version of Windows - which means you don't know which button to click to stop the thing from saving your passwords. One PC in the business centre seemed infested with spyware throwing up cascade windows so it might not be wise to type in any sensitive information there. Also, I tried to follow their instructions to connect to the Internet by dial-up from the room but this did not work. They offered an ethernet cable for 70 yuan a day which I did not take as I only needed to check my mail couple times, so I can't say how good this is.

In a nutshell, having seen the different areas of Shanghai, I think this is a very good option in terms of price, location and quality. I think it would be even more valuable for anyone who opts for self-catering holidays there.

New Harbour Service Apartment, Shanghai

by kphstar

Hello all, i am jsut wondering if anyone has stayed at the New Harbour in Shanghai before, and what was your experience. A review on the place would be fantastic.

Many thanks.

Re: New Harbour Service Apartment, Shanghai

by nizora

Hi,
My answer could be a wee bit late.
I was in Shanghai last month and stayed 6 nights at New Harbour Service Apartment.
Initially I found the apartment to be average, until I was given an upgraded room on a higher floor ( 28th) with spectacular view ,I was then realized that it was very good value .Location was not too bad,about 15 minutes walk to most of the main attraction. I was happy in general about the service and the apartment. However , I was very disappointed with the attitude of some people working on the reception. In my opinion many of them were just plainly not suited for the positions.
Finally I would say do not expect too much from this place. Try book a higher floor apartment for better room.

Comments