Plaza Royale Oriental Shanghai

No.2288 Pudong Avenue, Pudong New District, Shanghai, Shanghai Region, 200136, China
Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Oriental Shanghai
Agoda.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 36% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Shanghai

nice!nice!

Tracy enjoying her Tsingtao!Tracy enjoying her Tsingtao!

The Bargaining beginsThe Bargaining begins

The MaglevThe Maglev

Shanghai hostels

by anoum

I have checked out a few hostels in Shanghai. Can anyone suggest the pros and cons of their locations?

1.Le Tour Shanghai Youth Hostel, 136 Bailan Road, Putuo District.

2.Shanghai City Central International Hostel, No.300 Wuning Road, Putuo District

3.Mingtown Etour Youth Hostel, No.57 JiangYin Road, Huang Pu District

4.Summer hostel, No 35 Yongshou Rd, (Huangpu District)

5.Mingtown Hiker Youth Hostel, No.450 Middle Jiangxi Road

6.Backpacker Homestay Shanghai, No. 838, Jiang Ning Rd, Jing An District
I have read in this forum that this hostel is near to Jing An temple. Any
other pros or cons?

by ellyse

Don't like the location of any apart from Etour and Hiker.

by guo_mei_xin

Mingtown Etour Youth Hostel, No.57 JiangYin Road, Huang Pu District
<--- never stayed here. but one of my friend said it's better to stay in Mingtown Hiker than here

Mingtown Hiker Youth Hostel, No.450 Middle Jiangxi Road
<--based on my experience last year of June, I can really recommend this place. Only 5-10minute walk away from the nearest subway. near shopping areas, bus stations, even walking distance to The Bund. i took the 4-people dorm room for only 55RMB per night. clean room, clean shower room and restroom. free internet

by anoum

Thanks, Ellyse and guo_mei_xin. Really appreciate your help.

Travel Tips for Shanghai

Obtaining a Chinese visa in the UK

by SWFC_Fan

The main reason that I didn’t visit China sooner than I did was the fact that I needed to obtain a visa to go there – and I needed to obtain it before I travelled. Paying for a visa was never an issue, but the hassle of having to send off my passport (or travel to London or Manchester) in order to get the visa always put me off. If I could have simply obtained a visa at the airport upon arrival in China, that would have been great.

However, in May 2008 I finally decided that I was going to visit Shanghai and I would undertake the necessary steps to apply for my visa. I knew that this would involve filling in forms, having passport photos taken and ultimately sending off my passport and an envelope full of paperwork to a company that I hoped was reputable, and which would return my passport (with visa attached) in one piece and within a reasonable time frame.

I Googled “Chinese visas” and did a bit of reading around on the Internet. After reading a variety of reviews and visiting a host of visa service websites, I decided to place my trust in a company called Chinese Visa Direct.

I read the step-by-step instructions on their website, printed off the necessary application forms and a checklist of what I needed to send. I booked my flights, arranged my accommodation and made the dreaded visit to a local passport photo booth. I had everything that I needed to submit my application form.

Filling in the form was simple. It required the usual information: full name, gender, date of birth, nationality, passport details (number, place of issue, date of issue/expiry…), occupation, reason for visiting China, length of stay in China and address(es) during my visit to China.

There were a few questions regarding any previous failed attempts to obtain a Chinese visa, any previous deportations or criminal records and any known illnesses that I suffer from. I could happily tick the “no” boxes in that section.

The next section required me to enter details of my employer (name, address, contact number…), my home address and contact details and the address and phone number of the hotel that I had booked in China.

With the application form successfully completed, I next turned my attention to the Chinese Visa Direct Order Form and Checklist. This required me to fill in my name, address and contact details, my nationality and my passport number. I then had to select which type of visa I required.

There are a host of different visas available, including single/double entry tourist visas, single/double entry business visas and multi-entry business visas lasting for 6 months, 1 year or 2 years. I selected the single entry tourist visa, and opted for the “normal service”, which I had read in reviews would see my passport back with me in about a week. I could have paid extra for “express service” or “same day service”, but I wasn’t in too much of a rush.

For information purposes: a single entry tourist visa with normal service cost me £50. The price would have increased to £75 for express service and £90 for same day service. Double entry tourist visas cost £65/£90/£105 respectively. The single and double entry business visas cost exactly the same as the tourist visas, while the multi-entry business visas are generally £100+.

I paid Chinese Visa Direct online via a “Google checkout” link on their website and printed off my receipt.

I was now ready to tick off my checklist and enclose the necessary documents in a big envelope:

Passport enclosed? Check!
Passport photo enclosed? Check!
A copy of my hotel booking enclosed? Check!
A copy of my flight tickets booking enclosed? Check!
Completed application forms enclosed? Check!
Payment (or proof of online payment) enclosed? Check!

The following morning, a Tuesday, I sent the package off special delivery to:

Chinese Visa Direct,
PO Box 5051
London W1A 8UZ

…and crossed my fingers that it would all go smoothly!

The next morning (Wednesday), I received a friendly email to confirm that all my documents had arrived safely, had been checked and had been taken to the Chinese Embassy for the visa to be processed. I was informed that CVD expected to have my passport and visa back with them by the following Monday and would send it back to me immediately by recorded delivery.

Sure enough, the following Monday I received another friendly email to confirm that my passport (and shiny new visa!) were on their way back to me and true to their word, they were back in my possession on the Tuesday morning.

Everything had gone smoothly and efficiently. I sent an email to CVD to thank them for their excellent service and to promise that I would recommend their services to others. So, if you’re in the UK and you need a visa for China, be sure to get in touch with Chinese Visa Direct – their service is first class. They also arrange visas for Mongolia and Vietnam.

Chinese Visa Direct: the hassle-free way of obtaining your Chinese visa!

a Second Xiangyang Market in Puxi

by gaolei about Fashion Mall

The original Xiangyang market on Huaihai road and Xiangyang road was moved to the subway station under the Science museum in Pudong, East Shanghai, and the corner of Nanjing road and Chengdu road in Puxi, West Shanghai. The two markets offer the same basic things, cheap goods and fakes. Same as the Pudong Xinyang market, fakes. The bags are often a particularly good choice. Just be sure to read my tip on how to bargain, and remember they markup by a factor of 3. Less than original goods prices.

Hungry late at night?

by rugro about Street Food

We were just walking the streets of Shanghai near Nanjing Road. Everything around there seems to close at around 10 P.M. Even KFC, Pizza Hut and MCDonalds were closed, so we hit the smaller alleys in search of food. There we found this little 24 hr fast food joint. No tourists of course. We got us a couple of spring rolls and some meat skewers. And a couple of beers. Very cheap food, I think we paid around RMB 50 for the whole meal. Skewers and spring rolls. Or spwwwwing Wohhs. Very tasty and cheap. Steaming hot so you needn't worry about stomach trouble.

Cheng Huang Miao

by Amareyui

Originally the Ginshan Sheng Miao (Temple of the Golden Mountain God), it had been renamed as Cheng Huang Miao (Temple of the City's Gods) in the Ming Dynasty. Since then, the temple had foregone several severe damages, and had each time been properly restored to its former glory. During the latter years of the Qing dynasty, teahouses, street performers, and hawkers formed an extremely lively marketplace in front of the temple.
During the Cultural Revolution, the temple was thoroughly destroyed. The surrounding marketplace was given a new name, "Yuyuan Bazaar". The temple was again restored and opened to the public in 1981.

Shanghai & I.. Witness each other's growing..

by sylina

I was born and live in this city for all my life..

Shanghai was delicate quiet and old.. from my middle school age... it started growing faster and faster.. many residence got torn down.. turned to skycscrapers... more and more ppl came.. the city is so packed now..

There is not much green in downtown.. which is sad.. but i got admit it's a very convenient city for living.. 24 hrs stores are everywhere.. even 24hr McDonalds are not difficult to find.. thousands of local/exotic restaurants/cafes.. .. colourful nightlife.. won't be easy to get bored if that's your thing..

This is my favourite street in Shanghai - Wu Kang Road.. the whole area is a historic decent residence... love to wander around in warm sunny afternoon...

Sure I would like to recommend some venues, which I'm very fond of.. working on it now.. will be coming soon :)

"Wai Bai Du Bridge (1907)"

It's the most famous steel bridge in City.. at one beginning of the Bund.. across Suzhou River.. it looks quite bland during day time... I like to go there while dark.. it's suddenly becomes charming.. :)

"Hua Shan Rd"

Another charming street in French Concession area. There are many cozy restaurant/cafe on this street.. a nice place to spend your weekend afternoon.

Comments