Pudong Shangri La Shanghai

No.33 Fucheng Road, Pudongxin District, Shanghai, Shanghai Region, 200120, China

Pudong Shangri-La, East Shanghai
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 75% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Wow !!! Perfect location, Great Service !!!!!

I must say, Shanghai is a city that a $350 a night for a hotel room doesn't get you much anymore, but we were really happy with our choice of this hotel. Located on the Pudong side of the river any closer and you might fall into it !!!! So location is perfect. Now the rooms were to die for !!!! You open the shades and the wonderful view of Puxi, the view at night is out of this world. Everyone we encountered at the hotel were friendly and extremely helpful. We were celebrating a special occasion so we choose to spend a bit more money and stay at one the best hotels in Shanghai. Highly recommend it !!!!!

Service .. Perfect, location .. Perfect, rooms .. Perfect !!! AWESOME Stay !!!!

• bkk_kd's Profile Photo

Luxury and Location - at a high price

I've stayed at many hotels in Shanghai, and this is the only one at which I look forward to staying. IMO, it has the best breakfast buffet I've ever had and, if you stay in a suite, the L'Occitane toiletries are excellent treats. Of course, the views are beautiful. On a prior stay I was given a one bedroom suite with views of the Bund one one side, the Oriental Pearl TV Tower on one side, and the Shanghai World Financial Centre and Jin Mao Tower on another side. Wi-fi is free in the room (but for a fee elsewhere). Service is excellent, with organization of the taxi queue being the sole black mark. What's not to like? Of course, it all comes at a dear price.

BTW, I prefer the new tower, not the older River Tower. I feel that the new wing has the better views and chic rooms (the River Tower's rooms are more classically appointed).

• Openseas's Profile Photo

A true 5 star hotel.

We have stayed here many times and love it. The last was in May 2006 and our room was disappointing overlooking a construction site. After complaining they gave us room 1102 which was terrific overlooking the river.

We had once rated the breakfast here the best in the world, but its not as good as the Excellsior Hotel in Hong Kong.(we did tell them!!) so they gave us a free dinner in the Shang Palace Restaurant..(In Hotel) and if visiting Shanghai one must eat here its terrific, the staff fabulous.

The Sauna and plunge pools are excellent..so clean...plunge pool freezing only for the brave!!

Instead of having breakfast downstairs try having the chum cha in the Shang Palace as its the best in the world.

The rooms are spacious elegantly decorated with all the modern amenities. We only book the river view as its so romantic watching the barges,ships, ferries all bustling for position at night time....very romantic hotel.

I love it, and to me its a true 5 star hotel offering 5 star service.

Unique Quality: The restaurants are wonderful, the service incredible and the rooms gorgeous. You cannot beat Asian Hotels.

• Gregarious's Profile Photo

Fantastic hotel, but some parts a little unusual

The Shangri-La was home for a week in June 2007. I stayed in the new tower. The room and location were fantastic, as was Jade, the restaurant on the 36th floor. Great decor, excellent service, courteius staff and all the facilities you would need. The gym on teh 5th floor was smallish but very well equiped with state of the art Nautilus, Hammer Strength and Lifefitness machines. The only down side was teh BATS bar which seemed to be full of hookers - seems very strange for a hotel of this class but no-one seemed to bat an eye (sorry for the pun).

Unique Quality: The gym was great, the locker room even greater, and the view spectacular.

• Pure Luxury

The Pudong Shangri-La would have to be without a doubt one of the best hotels you could ever wish to stay in. Everyone from the staff on front reception to the cleaning staff made our stay wonderful. You will never see a breakfast spread like this one - they have absolutely everything you could possibly wish for. They also have a wonderful little bakery attached to the Yi-Cafe that serves the best cakes etc. that you can take back to your room to have with a cup of tea. (after 7 pm everything is half price) The swimming pools (especially the one in tower two) are superb. The bathrooms are huge and spotlessly clean. The accommodation was part of a tour package of China, so the nightly rate was taken care of - but if you can afford to stay here, give yourself a real treat, you will not be disappointed. Even though the hotel is on the other side of the river from Old Shanghai, $4 AUD and 20 minutes in a taxi and you are there. The only bad thing about the hotel was having to leave for our next destination. Can't recommend this wonderful place highly enough.

• janner5's Profile Photo

Shanghai's Best Bund View Hotel

A one month stay allowed me to really try out many of the Shangri-La's facilities. Very comfortable rooms and excellent breakfast buffet (included in the US$120 per night cost) has a vast choice of food which often included a carvery section.... The hotel even has a helpful pharmacy that dispensed me antibiotics and other items without requiring a doctor (although this was offered). I stayed in the old tower in 2004, and have no experience of the brand new tower that was complete late 2005, although colleagues tell me that it considerably more executive quality with a price hike that is to be expected.

Unique Quality: If you can get a room facing the river, then you get the view of the Bund lit up every night. Even if you can't, the views often allow you to see other attractions of the Pudong side of the river, such as the Jinmao tower (Grand Hyatt hotel & offices) and the equally tall and beautiful Oriental Pearl Tower (TV mast).
    Hotel is two minutes walk from the Lotus Super Brand Shopping Mall, which provides uncountable shops and restaurants of high standard, if you feel bored of the hotel food.
    Only 5 minutes walk from Lujiazui subway station (two stops from People's Square).
    Expensive, but still relatively better value than the Grand Hyatt if you just want luxury with a view.

Directions: Right on the Huangpu river in Pudong New Area (eastern bank).

More about Pudong Shangri La Shanghai

Great View of Shanghai

by ATXtraveler about PuDong Shangri-La

Well, what can I say about this hotel... this was pretty much all I got to see of Shanghai for 3 days. We got into the city at 10pm, had to take a technical test, then spent the rest of the time in lectures, getting a few minutes at a time to look around.

The hotel has some great restaurants, really delicious food, and even the catering was nice. The rooms were very nice, and definitely on par with the Hiltons and Hyatts of the world.

The bed was very comfortable, and they provided free bottled water which put it high on my list!

Interior Pudong Shangri La ShanghaiInterior Pudong Shangri La Shanghai

Interior Pudong Shangri La ShanghaiInterior Pudong Shangri La Shanghai

Pudong Shangri-LaPudong Shangri-La

Pudong Shangri-laPudong Shangri-la

shangai new year

by lmsgama

HI I WILL BE TRAVELLING TO SHANGAI ON THE 28TH JANUARY WHICH IS BY ACCIDENT NEW YEARS eve , SINCE I WOULD LIKE TO DO SOME SHOPPING I WONDER IF YOU COULD LET ME KNOW IF EVERYTHING WILL BE CLOSED JUST ON THAT DAY OR FOR A COULPE OF DAYS SINCE I WILL BE COMING BACK ON 31ST IN THE MORNING ...
also i was thinking on staying in the pudong shangri la , is it central ? what about the central shangai hotel ?? does any one knows this hotel ??where is also the shopping area for crafts ?? we were thinking on some nice markets but now I m worried that everything will be closed ! thanks for all your help lg

RE: shangai new year

by ellyse

Pudong Shangri-La is ok, it's quite close to Lujiazui metro station so getting around shouldn't be a problem. I feel that Central Hotel has a better location as it's in Puxi, so if you have a choice, I'd rather pick that one.
Shopping malls and markets won't be closed, the Western New Year isn't a big holiday in China. For crafts, try the Yuyuan Bazaar/Old Street and Duolun Lu culture street.

by lmsgama

dear Ellyse

the problme is that I will be going on the Chinese New Year ( 28/31 St january ) not the western date , since I heard that everything would be closed I'm a little bit worry ... can you please let me know !!!
thanks and lg

by ellyse

Sorry, I misread your other post! At the very least, I don't think Yuyuan Bazaar will be closed, not sure about the other places.

RE: shangai new year

by alan18

Shangri-la Pudong is a very nice hotel. However, it's not as central as you can get given the budget level. There are two other hotels you could consider, which I think is much central than Shangri-la. One is Radisson New World, which is located on Nanjing Road and just paces away from Shanghai downtown shopping area. The other is Marriott Tomorrow Square, which is about 10 minutes away from the Radisson. Both hotels are newly opened and enjoyed their worldwide reputations.

Shopping around Chinese New Year could be a problem. Shops and stores are definitely closing early on Chinese New Year Eve 'cause that night almost all Chinese will have a BIG dinner with their families. But you should be able to find most store will open during the holiday, even though some of them may run on a shorter store hour. Be prepared for the crowd! :-)

by ellyse

I've already answered you above. There's no need to email me since I've already answered... right?

Comments