Radisson Hotel Shanghai New World

Agoda.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• CorruptedSanity's Profile Photo

Excellent Location - Shanghai

My wife and I stayed at the hotel twice during our trip to China. The first time was for 4 nights, then again for 5 nights.

The location is excellent, it is just a minutes walk from Nanjing Pedestrian Street and right across from People's Park and underground metro. It is also located next to several malls and restaurants. Even a starbucks thats in New World Mall (can enter the mall from the hotel lobby) or the Starbucks in People's Park.

Went up to the top floor once, really nice view. Perhaps we should have eaten but weren't too excited about the quality of the restaurant and prices.

The breakfast was not worth the money charged and therefore we only ate once. There was plenty of (obviously) Chinese foods and East Asian, but not too much Western Food. Room service was very fast and not too reasonable, but good food.

The view from the room was beautiful, on the first stay we had the Park view and on the second stay we had a view of Nanjing and the Pudong skyline. Both really nice.

We were upgraded to a suite, or a semi-suite the first time. I say semi-suite because the hotel room was more like a doctor's office. Upon entering the room, you were actually in a smaller room that contained an office desk, the cupboards and the minibar. I'd say 2 meters square, then you entered into the main room which was really the same size as a normal room, the exception being the "office" area you entered first. Also, the bathroom had a tub and a separate shower where as the second room had a tub/shower combination and no "office" annex.

The rooms were of quality furniture but really dated. I can imagine it looked real nice when first opened, but now needs new furniture.
    The electric blinds in the bathroom did not work in the first room.

Hotel staff very friendly and helpful, from reception to concierge to bellboys. There is an Australian supervisor who is there most days of the week, even though everyone else speaks excellent English.

Unique Quality: Location
    Staff
    Spa open till 2 am everyday (but expensive)
    Quick room service

Directions: Directly on People's Park (which is above the main meto station)
    Directly on Nanjing Road

• Superb 11 Nights @ Radisson

Radisson Hotel Shanghai New World is located right at the western entrance of the Nanjingdong Lu's famous pedestrian shopping street. It is across the street from the northeast corner of People's Park/Square. Right next door, to the east, is the New World Shopping Centre.

We were basically smack in the middle of tourist shopping and eating central and an easy walk to Nanjingdong Lu pedestrian shopping street, Bund, Shanghai Museum, Yuyuan Gardens, and Fuzhou Lu (books/stationary street).

The No. 1 and No. 2 subway stations are literally under the hotel via an underground shopping/eating complex. From there we could reach large portions of Shanghai.

The staff was attentative and from what I could tell spoke okay English (I speak Mandarin), at least in the front desk area. The staff in the spa/salon area we met had problems with English.

The lobby is nice, open, inviting and bright, unlike the darkly lit interiors of some other "fancy" hotels. While we were there, they had a display of live baby chicks and rabbits to celebrate Easter. My 7 years old daughter had fun petting them every time she went through the lobby.

We had a standard deluxe room and it was good size, clean, and well appointed. The bathroom had all the amenities you would expect from a 4/5 stars hotel in US. We had a nice view over the People's Park/Square. The maid service happened at least twice a day while we were there, plus the evening turn down service. Please note this was -not- a club level room.

Our room included free bottles of water and breakfast for 2 adults every morning. Our 7 years old ate for free at breakfast. The breakfast is a mixture of Chinese and western food, along with an omelet chef and a noodles/dumplings chef.

We were very sad to leave after our 11 nights stay here. Highly recommended!

Overall, an excellent experience.

Unique Quality: Location! Location! Location!

Nice rooms. Great staff. Excellent pool/gym area.

Did I mention location? :)

Directions: Western entrance to the Nanjingdong Lu pedestrian shopping street.

More about Radisson Hotel Shanghai New World

Radisson New World - Roof top restaurant

by Bob_Shan about Radisson New World - Roof top restaurant

Roof top restaurant that rotates 360 degree every 2 hrs. Nice view of the city center from here.

Brunch is a good deal, CNY 145 per person. Food is generally Western style, taste sucks, I suggest you do a drink only.

Excellent location - great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Pilgrimgreen

The great thing about the Radisson New World is its location. Its at one end of the Nanjing Road - one of the main commercial streets in Shanghai. Its a 10-15 minute walk to the Bund, which is great. You're also on two tube lines, which is ideal for shooting around the city - and means you can very easily get to the hotel from the airport by way of public transport (Maglev train, tube, 2 minute walk - very quick).

We had a fine stay - the hotel staff were able to check us in as soon as we arrived (despite it being 8am in the morning) which was just what we needed after a long flight. The room was smart, the bed comfy, and the shower excellent. Oh, and the sky-dome bar at the top of the hotel does good cocktails. Highly recommended.

Very central

by TripAdvisor Member aussie_h

We stayed at the Radisson New World in Shanghai for 2 nights on our honeymoon. The rooms were very nice, plenty of space with a nice bathroom. The concierge was very helpful in getting us tickets to see The Lion King at the Shanghai Grand Theatre.

The hotel is in the direct centre of the Puxi (west side of the city). It is directly across from Renmin Peoples park (there is a subway stop about 50m from the hotel), and just off the corner from Nanjing Lu walking street. It's about a 15 minute walk along Nanjing Lu to the Bund (river shore). The hotel staff spoke very good English and were able to recommend places to go. We had dinner in the hotel one night which was priced to match western budgets, about what I'd expect to pay in a normal restaurant. Just a small warning, I made the mistake of having Perrier bottled water instead of normal bottled water, which ended up costing me $15 Australian for 2 small bottles.

There's a revolving restaurant on the 44th floor with great views out over the city and the park, and on the 45th floor (top) there is a glass domed bar, which is great for a late night drink and has a very relaxed feel.

The hotel was excellent, especially with the cheap rate directly from the radisson website. If you are looking for something in the centre then this would be the place.

Very good hotel

by TripAdvisor Member so_traveller

No complaints about the Radisson New World. Not sure but I think we were upgraded to a bigger room. We reserved the standard room, but if the room we stayed in was standard, then it's an amazing deal. The room has a separate "front" area and the bathroom was really nice.

Location of the hotel was excellent. However, I would try another hotel on Nanjing Road West the next time as that area seems more upscale and fun than the Radisson. From the map that area looked remote but I think it's closer to the better restaurants and nightlife.

Hotel has excellent services and their pool/spa area is good. The gym is limited to cardio equipment - not much weight stuff. There's a food court in the mall next to the hotel. There's a bakery that has Macao style egg custard that is amazing (for $3RMB!!!).

Overall, it's really good value for what you get. If you want to spend more, I would stay at the Four Seasons/Ritz Carlton area or even the Hilton around the Jingan Temple area.

Wonderfully helpful consierge

by TripAdvisor Member z1ppy

It was our first trip to Shanghai so on our first night I decided to book the Radisson New World Hotel due to the great reviews it received on this site...

I have to say I was a little disappointed... Having travelled from London and not slept on the plane we were looking forward to some much needed shut eye at the hotel, however, our room was near a very noisy air conditioning duct (I think) even with our air-con off it still whined away!

Having said that I have to say the room was nice and I loved the big window between the bathroom and bedroom. Also, the staff especially the concierge staff were really lovely and helpful. The concierge bought (and paid for) train tickets for the next leg of my journey all arranged via email which saved me from doing it.

Other than the great concierge I thought this was quite a standard hotel and definitely not the nicest one we stayed in during our trip to China.

Only for location

by TripAdvisor Member nntt

We stayed at this hotel from Sept 20-24. It was a let down compared to our stay at the Grand Hyatt in Beijing. The only thing I liked about this hotel was its location, as it was right on Nanjing road and next to its pedestrian section. We stayed on the club floor. The check in at the club level was very slow as the staff did not appear experienced. We booked dinner reservation through the club concierge to eat at Epicure 45 (extremely overpriced, poor food quality and service), their restaurant on the top floor. We asked for a table by the window, were told all the tables were by the window. When we showed up, we were told there was no table by the window for us and would have to wait about 1 hour. It was very difficult trying to communicate with the staff as they were not fluent in English. We ate breakfast at Window on the Park, asked for a table in the non-smoking section and were placed, of course, at the smoking section. The value for the club is only worth it as it gets you a room on a high floor. Ours was on the 32nd floor and we can still hear the noise from the street. As well, our room faced the park and there is a construction site going on. The hallway leading to our room had a very strong smell as well -something similar to what you smell in an old place in Europe ( old wood?). The lobby was very tacky as well. The room was standard although the bathroom was very big. The pool was OK and the whirlpool was colder than the pool. I will not give this hotel more than 3 stars. If you don't mind being a little bit away from the center of the action, you'll get more value for your money by staying at the 4 Seasons, the JW Marriott (very close to the Radisson by the way)
or even at the Grand Hyatt in Pudong just for the experience. I will not stay at the Radisson in Shanghai again.

Much to be improved

by TripAdvisor Member ftravller

Good location. But the rooms are rather small. The front desk staff including the on-duty managers showed little interest in helping, and were not as friendly as you would expect from a decent-class international-chain hotel. To our surprise, they were not really aware of loyalty programs associated with Radisson. We will definitely choose another hotel next time, as there are a plenty of them with good locations in Shanghai.

Excellent hotel in excellent location

by TripAdvisor Member ml3369

We stayed here 19/20 Sept 2006. The location is outstanding - 15 minutes walk to the Bund via a lively shopping area, and right opposite the metro station for an easy ride beneath the river to the TV tower etc. The hotel itself was really comfortable. We requested a room on a high floor, and on arrival were upgraded to a club room (but without the club loung access). It had a terrific view - worth requesting a high floor looking towards the Bund or the Shopping area. We also ate one night in the revolving restaurant at the top of the hotel because it had some vegetarian options. We had an excellent dinner (black lentil curry recommended for any Vegetarians) and some very cold beer and a great view of Shanghai - and although expensive for China, it was a reasonable price meal. The room price was very good and I think the location is unbeatable so can highly recommend this hotel.

Swissôtel hotel or Radisson Hotel Shanghai New World

by mike2873

shall be in Shanghai this coming July with my 2 daughters i have the choice between Swissôtel hotel , Radisson Hotel Shanghai New World

could you please let me know about the best location of the two hotels which is close to shopping centers

by lookalive

Oh! We are staying at the Radisson New World - 6-12 June.

I've heard nothing but great reports on both its location + facilities.

When I get back I'll post some details.

Re: Swiss�tel hotel or Radisson Hotel Shanghai New World

by ellyse

Without doubt the Radisson New World would be definitely better for location.

by mike2873

Thank you so much for the information

Comments