Regalia Serviced Residences Jingan

Good For No Data

More about Shanghai

from outside!from outside!

Busy Nanjing Road MallBusy Nanjing Road Mall

The human mule.The human mule.

Hong Qiao airportHong Qiao airport

buying train tickets to Xian

by swimmer-

I will be in Shanghai on 12.04 and intending to take a train to Xian on 15.04.
Are 4 days in advance enough to buy hard sleeper tickets?Where is the best place for forеigners to buy train tickets?

by speakyourmind

I took the train from shenzhen to shanghai, I got the tickets from the Hotel I was staying at, just ask the front desk, they will charge you a little bit extra but it is worth it.

I went back to shenzhen from shanghai in the train and I went to the train station this time and bought my ticket, luckily someone there knew how to speak english and helped me cause the clerks that sell the tickets don't speak a word of english,so it's risky, and I would advise you to go get the ticket on the same day you arrive in shanghai cause is always late in china for buying tickets, so don't take any chances, ask your hotel front desk, or any travel agency would supply you with train tickets.

by anoum

I would advise you to fly since you save a lot of time and the ticket may be just a little more expensive. Can be bought online from ctrip.com.

Shanghai South train station has a ticket window with an English speaking employee. I think the other train station should have the same but I don't know which station you should buy the ticket from. I am sure you can get the advice from the people at your hotel/hostel.

by anoum

I just want to add that ctrip.com doesn't accept payment with foreign issued credit cards. What you can do is to book and ask for delivery to your hotel on the same day. You can check whether your hotel is within the free-delivery areas on its website as you book. You need not even be at the hotel to take delivery. I gave the money to the receptionist at the front desk of the hostel I stayed at and I got everything correctly when I returned at the end of the day. Just make sure you stay at a reputable place where you can trust the receptionist.

by ellyse

Hmmm, you might have some problem getting hard sleeper tickets only 4 days in advance.
I'm studying in Shanghai and might be able to help you out re train tickets, let me know if necessary.

Travel Tips for Shanghai

Great Bargains

by JEKIE2 about Xiang Yang Market

If you are looking for designer knock-offs then Xiang Yang market is the place to go. Quality can range from so so to really really good. It's an open market so it's not stuffy or too cramped. But weekends would have heavier foot traffic. Pashmina shawls
Designer Bags
Footwear
Jackets
Watches a pashmina knock-off can go from 10-15rmb depending on the quantity you will buy.

Just always bargain for at least half of the price the store keeper gives you and work your way from there. Try not to appear too interested and pretend to walk away when they won't give you the price you want because more often than not they will call you back and give in.

However, beware of them pulling you and being really aggressive in selling, just put your foot down and be firm. Pickpockets are not a problem from my experience but it's always good to be vigilant.

Fish

by bhemak about Sumo Sushi

After being in the interior of China for two months I was happy to get the coast. In the interior I don't trust cooked fish, let alone raw fish, so this was a treat. Limited English was spoken, but the restaruant had picture menus also. Ultimately this combines everything I was looking for in Sushi: it was cheap, it tasted good, and it didn't make me sick.

Jaded Budda Temple

by darthmilmo

On my lasts day in china, I made my way into the Jade Buddha Temple. One must not let the outside face of the building deter you to the beautiful statues inside. The aromatic incense that floats through the air on the premises inside the Jade Buddha Temple gets any visitor in the temple visit mood. Many visitors awe in amazement of the infamous Jaded Buddha. In addition, there are other beautiful statues on the Jade Buddha Temple of Shanghai.

Shanghai High

by purplefeet

"Day1: Mingtown Youth Hostel People's Square"

Arrived via cebu pacific from manila after almost 3 and half hrs of air travel to pudong intl airport. We boarded a cab going to our hostel, Mingtown People's Square in Yongshou Road Huang Pu district. Got a little scared when the taxi stopped and driver pointed to a closed establishment which seemed more of like a resto than a hostel. The driver was kind enough to get out the cab and check and even offered to call the hostel from his mobile . Turned out we drove past it, the hostel was actually right beside the closed resto. After paying the cab of our bill of RMB270, we hauled our luggages to the hostel's receiving area (which is really not much) and checked in. Tired and cold from the breeze and slight drizzle outside, the hostel receptionist even told us that she's not on duty 24 hrs! We are in a foreign country and have no choice but to hear her rants. After we left our passport and be given our door card, we grabbed late night/early morning snack before calling it a very long night/day.Our dorm rm had 3 double-deck beds. The other two occupants were a guy foreigner and a chinese girl. We hit the sack to get ready for our itinerary tomorrow!

"Day2:"

Woke up around 8am (late!) and had our baon breakfast of instant noodles, coffee, crackers,bread and vienna sausage. By 11am we are meeting Fion at the HSBC Ofc, Helen's friend who bought our train tckets to Beijing in advance for us. Took our time to walk on the overpass crossing Yan'nan Rd going to People's Park Metro station to board the train to Liuxiziang Stn where HSBC is. Really cold breeze was blowing hard on our bodies as we tried not to get lost in the area. We also found time to rest a bit and get our pictures taken with the Oriiental Pearl TV tower which also houses the Shanghai Expo 2010, among other skyscrapers.

Lunch was a big bowl of steaming noodles with spare ribs for RMB19 at Cafe de Coral in IFC mall, which we remember fondly from our HK trip in 2008. We also checked out Starbucks and found blends to be almost the same price in Manila. A nice set of 2 demittasse cup with Shanghai printed on it is around rmb45. We decided against buying anything big ticket since technically it's just our first day. Since we are at the business district we agreed to walk to the The Bund sight-seeing tunnel and from there walk towards East Nanjing Rd going to Yuyuan Garden. After several blocks finally we found the underground stn for the tunnel and are surprised to know that it too has a rmb45 one-way entrance fee. Deciding against it since the Huangpu River is better viewed at night, Yuyuan Garden and Bazaar is our next stop so we boarded the metro going back to East Nanjing and took the interchange line to Yuyuan Garden. The metro stations are massive and the exits are really confusing even with maps! We finally exited and walked going to Fuyou Rd where Yuyuan Garden is located. Pictures taken along the road, inside lamp-lit bazaars and amid a sea of people. The map we got from the airport did not say which street it is located that we found ourselves walking in a narrowing alley outside the perimeter of a gated temple structure. Alas! The series of stores and restos housed in temple-like structures is already called the Yuyuan Garden. And so with time on our minds and several exchanges of suggestions and change of minds we headed back to the train station People's Park.

Dinner was Taiwanese meal of deep-fried chicken leg with fried egg, rice and steamed greens at Raffles City food court for around rmb22. Walked back to the hostel to check out and to get our luggages. We headed straight to the metro station going to Shanghai Hongqiao station. We learned that we can't hail a cab since the metro station is very near. We decided to walk to People's Park with all our luggages in tow. En route while on board the metro, Helen chatted with two guys who informed us that we should get off at Songhong Stn and transfer to the next train going to the railway stn. In a sea of similar looking faces this one guy actually stood out with his flushed cheeks and preppy look. Anyways, after all the stops we finally reached the railway stn to Beijing. Helen and I bought sleeper in advance for rmb755 (!) while Gel and Dar were in seats for rmb352 each. We were excited to see that the beds are really nice and comfy for the overnight journey. Originally I was booked in a different rm from Helen's but she persuaded a grampa to exchange beds with me. Thank God he really did! I wouldn't be too comfy sleeping in a rm with 4 guy strangers! Each bed has its own tv and control panel, headset and slippers. There are two CRs in each train car, one with bowl and one without. It is interesting to note that there are people just outside the rooms who journeyed by sitting on a chair, wonder how much they paid.

Comments