Royal Tulip Zhujiajiao Shanghai

More about Shanghai

Snow.....very nice!!!!Snow.....very nice!!!!

Tracy and I at Bar Rouge roof-top barTracy and I at Bar Rouge roof-top bar

Dragon WallDragon Wall

Pavilion of fish paradisePavilion of fish paradise

Restaurant Suggestion near Browdway Mansions Hotel?

by VMZ

Will stay at Broadway Mansions October 11-20 and have many upscale meals planned, but wish ideas for first night at the hotel or near it. Thank you!

by ellyse

How "near" do you want it to be? What's your budget like? What cuisine are you looking for? Do you eat spicy food?

by VMZ

Short walk or short taxi ride.Budget up to US $40.00 per person. Spicy excellent and atmosphere important (good view a plus).

by ellyse

Then go for South Beauty on the 10th floor of Super Brand Mall, just right across the river beside the Oriental Pearl TV Tower. You'll get a nice view of the Bund as well.
More about that restaurant (and others) on my VirtualTourist Shanghai Restaurants travel page: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1d57/5be/2/

by VMZ

I'be booked already with South Beauty :)

Have you tried any of the Broadway Mansions restaurants or the main one at Hotel Astor?

No, I haven't.
How about the buffet at Hyatt on the Bund? It's one of the best buffets around if I'm not wrong.

Re: Restaurant Suggestion near Broadway Mansions Hotel?

Thanks so very much !

Travel Tips for Shanghai

More Markets

by tremendopunto about Sidestreets of Nanjing Lu

In the alleys on the left side of Nanjing Lu, before the beginning of the pedestrian precinct, you can find a lot of stalls and shops with fake brands and dvds.
From Qipaos to fake Polo Shirts of Lacoste and Ralph Lauren....you van find everything.

Decent Italian Food

by crewrower about Bella Napoli

Italian owner/manager; the food is southern italy in flavor. I go there about once a month and have the business set lunchs, which cost RMB50 or RMB75 (USD$6.50 or $9.75) This seems like a generally healthy food, with decent soups and pastas (although today my pasta was a bit under cooked). Sauces are made with a good balance of garlic and tomatoes and are not too salty, which is often the case with other Italian food in the city. One complaint is that you might not leave the place totally full if you order the set lunch. They also have ala carte choices, that are pricier but somewhat more substantial.

The atmosphere is relaxing, and there is seating on the first and second floor. I like sitting by the window on the second floor and watching the street traffic below (and a mangy white cat that is always roaming the roof across the street).

Ate there today (December 3) -- still a good spot!

Back to Crewrower's homepage

Back to Shanghai page The penne pasta is decent

City view from Jin Mao Tower

by Icemaiden02

PuDong varies significantly in architectural design from The Bund, which is located directly across the Huang Pu River. There are numerous skyscrapers to be seen, all in shiny new metal construction, popping up everywhere.

Jin Mao Building is the third tallest in the world. Take the Jin Mao Tower up to the 88th Floor (observatory deck with floor space of 1,500+ square meters), where you'll be able to see this spectacular view of Pu Xi for RMB 50 (US$6). The tower has the best elevators available. Two direct elevators operate at the speed of 9.1 meters (nearly 30 feet) per second that can send visitors from the ground floor to the 88th floor for only 45 seconds. There are also five to six elevators every 10 floors, which reduce waiting-time to 35 seconds even during rush hours.

However, few recommendations: (1) Dont go on weekends and (2) Dont go if it's even mildly cloudy or hazy (the view is hard in bad weather).

Shanghai

by MarianneRules

"The Reason for Going to China"

My aunt works in Shanghai for the US-Shanghai Chamber of Commerce. This gave my mom and I the most ideal opportunity to not only visit my aunt, but to see the country under her protective wing. My aunt was so awesome….she let us stay at her place, she would point us in the right direction for things to visit during the day while she went to work, and would then take us to the most fabulous places to eat at night.

She also let us come with her on a business trip to Hong Kong and set us up on tours to Beijing and Xian. We got a taste of old China and new China….after two weeks; I was surprisingly acclimated and wished I could have stayed longer.

"Flying from the USA to China"

I don’t know what to say about this….I don’t want to insult the airline…I think the staff was beautiful, attentive … kudos to them. However, it’s a long long flight and it was a Chinese airline so not that many passengers were from the USA…..different culture, different social norms, movies not in English….The flight is a necessary evil so take as many drugs as you need to get through it. Pillows, socks, ear plugs, eye masks, toilet tissue, wet wipes, your pharmaceuticals of choice.

The most valuable advice I can give….insist that you are not seated anywhere near the toilets.

"Get a Visa"

Depending on your budget and tolerance for pain in the ass chores, pay a service to deal with getting a Visa. I’m certain we paid more than we should have, but it was worth it to my mom and me not to drive to downtown Los Angeles to get them. We were also in a rush and a bit of pinch as far as timing goes because we both needed our passports for other trips. You have to give them your passport to get the Visa, so plan ahead.

Here is the service we used: www.zvs.com

Comments