Shanghai Classical Hotel

Satisfaction Average

More about Shanghai Classical Hotel

Shanghai Classical Hotel

by clearblueskydays about Shanghai Classical Hotel

Our stay at the Shanghai Classical Hotel April 1 to 3/06 was great. Its located in the YuYuan garden Tourist area and is better known locally for its popular restaurant that has been in business for over a century. A short walk to the Yu garden and nearby $hopping allowed us to get there early before the crowds. We were also able to walk about 2km to the Bund - taxi`s were also readily available and cheap-- however drivers are only familar with its local name Lao Fandian. Staff spoke a bit of english however take a phrase book. The standard size room was comforable and clean with traditional decor. There is a local style breakfast - rice congee, steamed buns- included in the room rate and we enjoyed it. There is also Starbucks in the lobby and a McDonalds across the road for those who need a fix. Traditional style building,

Beautiful outside!Beautiful outside!

The BundThe Bund

ALBERT BERGADAALBERT BERGADA

Shanghai miniatureShanghai miniature

Shanghai nightlife

by tkdsimes

Hello.

I am an occasional business traveller to China (once or twice a year). I am British, male, in my early 30’s, and a non-Chinese-speaker. I would be grateful if somebody could give me a bit of advice on the nightlife scene in Shanghai.

I have been there four times, just for one or two days at a time. I have been to Changle Lu, a couple of fairly quiet bars, one of which opened until very late and the girls who work there were very friendly; and Maoming Lu where there was a lot of atmosphere the first time I went, but the second time (this year) it was practically deserted in comparison.

Can anyone give me any recommendations? I’m not looking for a high class, high price scene like Xintiandi. I prefer a more laid back atmosphere – music, reasonable prices, expats/travellers and pretty girls to talk to – the kind of places where I can wind down and have a few beers at the weekend.

I’ve read several reports on the different areas which have been conflicting or rather vague. For example, both Maoming Lu and Julu Lu (the latter of which I’ve never visited) have been described as “sleazy”. I did not find Maoming Lu especially sleazy – I’m the kind of guy who hangs out in rock bars and is not scared of a rowdy crowd. Is Julu Lu comparable, or is it a different kind of “sleazy”? Has Maoming Lu for some reason become less of a hotspot? I have also read that Tongren Lu and Hengshan Lu are popular. How would you describe these places? If I can only spend one Saturday evening in Shanghai, where would you recommend?

Thanks.

Shanghai night owl suggestion

Hooters.

by polartraveller

try the pub at Holiday Inn Pudong, there are enough females there to tickle every foreigner that goes to the men's room! as for the term "beautiful" it all depends on how many beer you had!

RE: Shanghai nightlife

by ellyse

Would the pretty girls that you chat up also need to be going somewhere else with you later?

Shanghai'S EXpatriate Nightlife

by Confucius

A teahouse, perhaps? Or maybe an art exhibition?

RE: Shanghai nightlife

by Melklim

While visiting Shanghai this summer, I was strolling down Nanjing Road and a pretty young lady asked if I was traveling alone and if I wanted to accompany her for some extracurricular activity. I responded to her that I needed to check with my wife who was also strolling a few steps behind me. She quickly dropped out of sight :)

"Honey, you'll never guess who I bumped into at the Bund!"

by Confucius

Your wife dropped out of sight? Or the pretty young lady?

by Melklim

The pretty young lady dropped out of sight. :(

by tkdsimes

Appreciate your answers, but it's not exactly what I was asking. Hmmmm, people seem to have fixated on the "pretty girls" part - while that may or may not come in to it, I'm sure my eagle eye and natural charm will see me through.

Really, my questions are as follows:
- Is Maoming Lu no longer a hotspot, and if not why not?
- How would you describe Julu Lu, Tongren Lu and Hengshan Lu in comparison to Maoming Lu? Are they different scenes or just places that people go at different times of night?
- When certain areas are described as "sleazy", what does this mean? Dangerous? Dirty? Drugs? Prostitution? Or just rowdy people getting drunk?

Thanks.

by gaolei

I never went to Mao Ming road. I do know that reports are it is dying out, as is Julu lu. The new spot is Tongren. The building is new, the clubs are shiny, but the atmosphere is the same. Basically it is sport bars, restaurants and just bars. Most have a pool table, a bar, and girls who either sit and talk and drink or proposition you. Hengshan also has a lot of basically the same typ bars. I would choose a destination based on where my hotel is, and how far I have to walk. I just prefer walking over taxi rides. It is also only a half mile from the City, Shanghai, and Portman area hotels to the Tongren venues, Jing An District.

Travel Tips for Shanghai

Taxi taxi taxi

by rugro

Going somewhere in Shanghai? Take a cab. If you're moving around down town, you'll find it difficult to exceed RMB 15 pr trip. From Najing Road to the Pudong Intl Airport it's something in the area of RMB 140.

Make sure you KNOW where you're going. And if you don't speak mandarin, you'd better have a note stating the address, or else you may spend a looong time trying to explain where you wanna go...

Oriental Pearl Tower (TV Tower)

by vayastra

You can see Shanghai and its surrounding from the top of tower.

The Oriental Pearl Tower is located at the tip of Lujiazui in the Pudong district, by the side of Huangpu River, opposite The Bund of Shanghai.

At 468 m (1,535 feet) high, it is the tallest tower in Asia, and the third tallest tower in the world.

The view is spectacular especially during night time.

Oriental Pearl TV Tower

by xiquinho

The sky-piercing Oriental Pearl TV Tower is an awesome sight whether viewed from underneath or at the Bund across the Huangpu River. With a giddy height of 468 meters, the tower is Shanghai's new landmark and a big magnet for tourists.

ShanghaiUSA's Two Cents Worth

by ShanghaiUSA

Welcome to my opinionated views of Shanghai. Since I married into a Shanghai family, my views come from a slightly different perspective. I am fortunate to have a live-in interpreter and guide, as it were, and face fewer linguistic barriers than most who may be reading this page. On the other hand, since I always try to enjoy Shanghai as a family experience, I can offer very few insights into tourist accommodations, pubs, restaurants with English menus (other than my step-daughter's beloved KFC), and so forth. So take my ramblings for what they are worth, and understand their limitations.

Gary, Ju-Ju and Leilani at ShanghaiUSA.com