Shanghai Dazhong Hotel

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Shanghai

A mini Hong Kong, Nanjing RoadA mini Hong Kong, Nanjing Road

the towersthe towers

A contortionist balancing glasswareA contortionist balancing glassware

Huang Pu RiverHuang Pu River

Free time in Shanghai

by SPW

At the end of our tour of China we have 5 nights in Shanghai.

Our tour has organised visits to the Bund; Yu Gardens and markets; the Oriental Pearl Tower and Xitang village.

We will have 2 days to organise ourselves, some of which will no doubt be shopping, but I would welcome any suggestions for not too strenuous activites/sightseeing that would add to our experience of this city and its people.

Many thanks,

HI! Sue:

Maybe you'll like to consider a day trip out of the city to Suzhou with its labyrinth of Chinese-styled manicured gardens?

Just a thought....

by SPW

Tell me more,please, it sounds interesting.
Thanks,

by ellyse

Oh no... please don't go to Suzhou. You'd already have seen enough Chinese gardens for your trip.
I would recommend walking in the Old City and French Concession areas of Shanghai. If you're early risers, head to the parks (there's usually a nominal entrance fee) like People's Park, Lu Xun Park etc to see the locals doing morning exercise and etc. If you're interested in museums, there're also some smaller museums which you could explore.
Feel free to VTMail me with your interests and etc if you'd like more suggestions. I'm studying in Shanghai and have travelled extensively throughout mainland China, especially the area around Shanghai.

HI! Sue:

I think Jocelyn's concern is quite real. Perhaps you can check with Jocelyn for further advices? As she may have pointed out, you could very well be garden-fatigued by then.

There are tours and trains out of SHH for Suzhou if you are still interested. I caught the train out of SHH and then travelled around Suzhou via taxis (provided you know where you want to go). A couple or trio will do just fine (have some write-ups on my VT SHH page) before you ODed (if you have not yet by then) on gardens and pavilions.

Just my 2 cents worth.

by SPW

Thank you both for your ideas and opinions.
At this stage I'm simply asking for suggestions; we won't make a decision until we are actually in Shanghai and what we do will depend on how we are feeling, given our old bones!
If we decide to mainly people watch (a favourite pastime) are there particular places that are good to do that over a coffee/tea/cool drink?
Cheers,

by xuessium

For starters: I always thought Nanjing Road aka People's Street make a good place to people-watch, Sue. The road lead all the way to The Bund. The sheer amount of people is staggering sometimes. Plenty of cafes littered this area.

Yuyuan Bazaar is also an alternative.

by ellyse

I would prefer the French Concession area, personally.

by neverstoptravel

If you have not been to Hangzhou before, visit the city for two days.

Travel Tips for Shanghai

Oishi, A Philippine Snack Invades Shanghai

by machomikemd

now popular in Shanghai Area, even my tour guide loves it. Oishi is a japanese word but it was used as a brand in the Philippines by Taipan Ben Chan, a second generation Fil-Chinese with roots in Fujian Province. Oishi is the Number one snack brand in the philippines and he then introduced in to China and other asian countries that nowadays it is one of the most popular snacks here in Shanghai and again our tour guide was surpised that her favorite snack originated in the Philippines. Note there are different flavors for the oishi brand here in china and in the philippines, for example the scallop flavored potato chips in not available in the philippines. A small pack of Oishi Snacks here costs 2 RMB while a bigger pack costs 3 RMB. Grab one now!

Take the Taxi!

by Radiomom

Taxis are SO inexpensive in China and in Shanghai it is a godsend. Remember 1) tips are not expected -- and in fact, some drivers will go crazy trying to get you exact change! 2) Someone should make a virtual reality ride at Busch Gardens or Disney called "Shanghai Taxi" -- the traffic is nuts -- and there were numerous times I just shut my eyes. It looked like we were going to wipe out a whole pile if bicycle riders or a bus was likely to simply mow us down even though they had a red light (I guess it is just a "suggestion") Still, you can easily get where you need to go. Have someone at the hotel write where you are going (in Chinese) on one of their cards. That way you will also have where you want to return to eventually, for the trip back to the hotel.

Our friend speaks pretty good Chinese, however she looks so Western, she needed to tell the drivers 2 or 3 times before they 1) realised this blond chick was actually speaking to them in Chinese 2) they understood her and she understood them! At one point, a young boy (about 8 or 9) came up to the taxi next to Andrea and (they get close in China) looked straight up at her as she was speaking to the driver, then looked at the driver (nodding his head and looking sort of incredulous that the driver didn't understand what she was saying!) He then gave us all a big grin and thumbs up before we pulled away from the curb. (With five people on our afternoon "out" we needed 2 cabs to get from place to place and she could only take one, so she needed to tell the other guy where we were headed.)

Still -- don't worry about running up a big tab -- no where we went cost more than about 20 yuan! (less than $3).

chocolate delight

by Audrey118 about Visage by Eric Perez

Xintiandi has lots lots of nice eating places...you be hard pressed to choose which one to go for. There is Ye Shanghai which is very very good , and T8 also voted to be one of the best dining by Conde Nast

Eric Perez has won numerous awards for dessert in French competition...so it was a must on my list. Perez came to Shanghai to do Ritz calrton opening, and left with another chef from Face (another interesting place to go to)

We went there after dinner, for desserts...and there was quite a number to choose from this very very small quiant place which is decked with lots of Asian ornaments... there is Chocolate Taster for Two - lots of texture - soft mousse, cakes, etc... profiterols with chocolate sauce etc, .We even took home boxes of hand made chocolates.... frankly it was good chocolate, but I think the ones i get made by thie Asian gal, Chiew Foong at Singapore Raffles is still number one on my list.

Shanghai Museum

by Arjaree

The Shanghai Museum is a four-storey building. There are 11 special galleries and 3 exhibition halls in the Shanghai Museum.
-Ancient Chinese Bronze Gallery
-Ancient Chinese Jade Gallery
-Chinese Ming and Qing Furniture Gallery
-Chinese Minority Nationalities'Art Gallery
-Chinese Coin Gallery

Admission fee is 20 Yuan. It's open from 9am - 5pm. There is no more entering after 4pm. Check it out during the week is probably a good idea.

Shanghai - my lovely hometown

by jinwenwang

"Shanghai dishes"

Crab...

"Sleepless in Shanghai"

I was born and raised in Shanghai, the city with up to 15 million people traffic...also the showcase city of China's fast growth economy. Most crowd with people during the day time but there are also lots of places in the downtown area which are very quiet and charming embeded with long history.

Shanghai night is wonderful, not only hundreds places of international restaurants, bars, discos and karaokes, but also varieties in entertainment, ie. massage (my favorite), sauna, night-eat, concerts and movies.

While I am now living in europe, the most thing I missed is the cuisine in Shanghai, so yummy...crabmeat congee, steamed yellowfish, big fish head pot, salty duck, wined chicken and spicy hot pot...

"My afternoon snackfood"