Shanghai Rainbow Plaza

More about Shanghai

Doudle happiness!Doudle happiness!

Inside Terminal 2 at Pudong AirportInside Terminal 2 at Pudong Airport

Chicken dishChicken dish

The face of this statue is pure Han Chinese.The face of this statue is pure Han Chinese.

Now Need Visa Advice

by bilby57

Will be arrive in Hong Kong on the 28th Nov. We have not booked flights in and out of China or booked a hotel, were going to do this in Hong Kong, as we are not sure how long we want to stay in Shanghai, depends on weather conditions (we are not cold weather people) and if we like it or not. Have now found out that since the olympics you need to supply flight and hotel info when applying for a visa. Does anyone know if there be any relaxing of visa requirements now the games are over. We want to stay in Hong Kong approximately 5 or 6 days. Will this be enough time to get a visa. We travel with New Zealand passports.

by luvtrvlg

I would recommend that before you leave NZ to call the China Embassy. I am not certain if a visa to China can be obtained in Hongkong. I may be wrong but normally any consulate would always tell you to obtain your visa from your country of origin. I guess it won't hurt if you give them a call.

Hope this helps ~
Glo

by mitch_anne

On my own personal experience, we made reservations for China in the hotel where we stayed in HK though its quite expensive but I was a hassle free
trip.

by MikeySoft

China changed the visa rules shortly before the Olympics, as you said.

No one seems to know if they changed back to what they were before. Please let us know when you find out.

Friends have told me they could get a visa over night in HK before the new rules.

by Farang27

You can get a chinese tourist visa in Hong Kong. It takes about 24 hours (get there before 1 pm) and costs anywhere from $HK1500-2000. Officially, the visa regulations will be relaxed on oct. 20, but the paralympics end fri or sat of this week, so i imagine the process will start getting easier around next monday. if not, you have more than enough time between oct. 20 and your departure date to get a visa in NZ.

by bilby57

Thanks for the all the info. I love reading the answers people give. Think we will wait until we get to Hong Kong and get it there. The hotel we are staying at offers a visa service to China so maybe they can help.

Travel Tips for Shanghai

Gemstone or Crystal Anyone?

by Azri_Azmi about Shanghai Crystal & Gemstone Centre

There are so many shop/outlet to choose and to buy gems & crystals. Some shops with sales person that cannot communicate at all in English. But some can speak English very well. By choosing an English speaking sales personel, we can bargain more efficiently and even the most important factor is we could learn and know more about the gemstones / crystal that we wanted to buy.

Gemstones is very straight forward, you will be given a table with your month of birth and you may select 1 from 3 gemstone relates to your month or hororscope. As for the pictures inside a crystal sourvenir, horse is for success, fish is for health, water & mountain is for wealth and cat is for happiness.

You may use your charge card or credit card here even. I went to 3 outlets and bought :-

1) Aquamarine Bracelet at RMB360.00
2) Garney Bracelet at RMB190.00
3) Emerald Bracelet at RMB350.00
4) Citrine Bracelet at RMB200.00
5) Tourmaline Bracelet at RMB400.00
6) 4pcs medium size round Crytal Souvenir (with stand and pictures inside the rounded shape crystal) at RMB220.00 (RMB55.00 each). Being sold for RMB135.00 at Pudong Airport.
7) 1pc large size round Crytal Souvenir (with stand and pictures inside the rounded shape crystal) at RMB180.00. Being sold for RMB360.00 at Pudong Airport.

Yummy Longxiaobao dumplings

by thescene about Street food restaurants

Soup dumplings or locally called Long Xiao Bao is a dimsum that is served in many Shanghai restaurants. This is basically dumplings that are filled with delicious hot soup and meat so be careful when you bite the first time around. You normally dipm this in rice vinegar and is normally a side dish to a main course meal like noodle soup. Soup Dumplings and Noodle soup

Jade Buddha Temple

by Limclarence

This is a nice quiet temple in bustling Shanghai. From Jing An district, the walk to this temple takes about 20 minutes. The jade is imported from Myanmar if I can still remember...Nice quiet place to relax and spend your morning.

Shanghai

by Mr_JaPi

"Shanghai City"

I visited only one full day in Shanghai on November of 2008. We were by walking in the center of city.

"Visit to Shanghai Airport"

(I Wrote on january 2008): I have been visit shirt time in Shanghai airport and had possibilities to go out of China, but not yet, maybe later...

(Updated on January of 2009)I came to China again october 2008. I was worked 10 days in China. I think so that now airport was rebuilding ... ?

Comments