Shikumen Holiday

Shanghai - ChinaShanghai - China

View inside a 2 single bed BedroomView inside a 2 single bed Bedroom

Shanghai Day Tours

by lucincia

Going to be in Shanghai in couple days. My wife, 7 years old daughter and I will be staying for 11 days - several days of that will be me at a convention. This is our first trip to mainland (I was born in Taiwan). This will be my daughter's first trip overseas from U.S.

Question - Looking at day trips out to the typical surrounding areas like Souzhou and Hangzhou. Should I reserve them after I get to Shanghai (via hotel's concierge desk)? Can anyone just show up at the Shanghai Stadium and pick up a tour on the day of the tour? Where can I find a list of such tours departing from the Shanghai Stadium?

I am trying to do this trip as "independently" as possible, without an all incompassing tour package. For Shanghai, we'll be visiting it on our own. But, for some of these outlying areas, I am thinking about such day tours. My Mandarin is ok, but not sure how I will do in Shanghai. My wife is Caucasian and her Chinese is a bit spotty.

Thanks.

Shanghai Excursions

by Confucius

If you were going to one of the small villages, such as Xitang or Tongli, then you might want ot consider the Shanghai Stadium bus package option. However Suzhou and Hangzhou are easy enough to do without tours and without going to Shanghai Stadium. You can take the morning tourist train to Suzhou, for example.
If you still want to do a day tour, in Hangzhou for example, you can either use a Hangzhou hotel's travel desk (you don't have to be a hotel guest) or inquire at a local travel agency after you arrive there.
If you are attending a convention in Shanghai, the event organizers will also be glad to help with your day trip planning. Don't hesitate to approach them with questions about Suzhou and Hangzhou, as they will likely have good contacts at those destinations.

by tremendopunto

Yes, independent trips are quite easy. Bus or train takes around 2 maybe 2 and a half hours to Hangzhou. From Hangzhou you could take a boat trip over the Emperors channel to Suzhou into your consideration. You would leave in the late afternoon and arrive in the early morning - it is a nice variety for your transportation.

by SangAji

since you have 11 days, it's easy to organise tours once you are there. don't miss the zoo, your kid will love it!

RE: Shanghai Day Tours

by ellyse

No offence, but it's spelt Suzhou not Souzhou.
Yes, you can just rock up to Shanghai Stadium and pick up a tour on-the-spot. Don't be too late as most depart before/around 0900 though.
Check out http://www.chinassbc.com for a list of the tours available; however the website seems to be in Chinese only.

by lucincia

Thanks for the answers. I am checking out the web site that Ellyse had mentioned. My Chinese is sketchy, but I am understanding it for most part :)

Travel Tips for Shanghai

Century Square

by meteorologist1

Century Square is located in Pudong. It is home to the Shanghai Science and Technology Museum. You will find beautiful landscaping work, plants, and flowers at this fairly large square. It was the site of the annual APEC meeting in 2001. The night scene at this square is also fantastic. Use Subway Line 2, Shanghai Science and Technology Museum Station. Relatively quiet part of Shanghai.

Cargo Ship

by herzog63

You might be able catch a ride to Japan on a Cargo ship. I heard of people trying but I don't know if they did or not. It would help if you spoke some Chinese! There are so many cargo ships leaving daily that haul all of the local made goods to ports all over the world!

Zhongshan Lu

by socrates_07

Probably the most famous street in China if not in Asia. The Bund has been a symbol of Shanghai since a hundred years. It is a tree-lined promenade along the Huangpu River. The buildings you can see here have variety of architectural styles.
In the morning you can see local people doing Tai Chi or dancing waltz.

Watch the locals at work - 2

by K.Knight

Some of the sites you see when traveling make you realize just how good you have it at home!

This photo is no exception. This lady, dressed in a pair of casual shoes, is pulling a cart that must weigh at least three times her own body weight. She was stuck in the middle of a busy intersection as she attempted to pull a cart full of chair seats and cushions to the other side of the street. She later delivered the cushions to the theatre that we were attending to watch the acrobats show.

Teahouse

by nepalgoods

"Teahouse"

When i was wandering around the small streets of Shanghai Old Town, I suddenly heard somebody sing Chinese Opera-songs. I did not see anything like a theatre or teahouse. But I slowly walked in the direction, where the music came from. Finally I came to a small door in a wall behind a former temple, which now was used as a market. The door was open and the music came from inside. I stepped in, and with this step I was in a different world.

I had discovered an old traditional teahouse, where on a small platform sat some musicians, playing the Erhu and other old Chinese instruments, and a man stood there singing.

There was a big audience of mainly old man, drinking their tea, smoking their pipe and nodding their heads, obviously being experts for this kind of music. There were only two or three old women and many men. I was the only foreigner. In a pause an old man asked me in a slow but very good English, how I liked the music. I told him, that I really enjoyed it. And he smiled at me happily.

Comments