Sofitel Hyland Shanghai

Sofitel Shanghai Hyland
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Way over rated

We stayed here in Sept. 09 following good reviews and recommendations from travel agent - we found this hotel way over rated and charging inflated prices for VERY average facilities.
    Our bath room was more 2 star, towels so thin they were hard, bath mat so old it had a hole in it which had been sewn up, we ran out of toilet paper after 1 day and there was no replacement roll - thank goodness for tissues. Bed very hard and uncomfortable. Room small and unwelcoming, cupboards so old we didn't unpack clothes into them - musty smell, shelves old wood and although clean didn't encourage us to put clothes on them.
    Breakfast area nice food nice but service very ordinary - staff not welcoming at all here - front desk staff lovely.
    What a disappointing stay, previous stay at Sofitel in Xian was superb - this hotel is relying on the Sofitel name without living up to it - never stay here again

Unique Quality: While the view is good, it is only of a street!!!

Directions: Near the Bund - but couldn't access this area due to "improvements"

• Great Location

Have stayed here several times when in Shanghai and although quite expensive the location on Nanjing Road is great. Definitely worth considering if on business and your trip includes a weekend stop in Shanghai - much more happening round and about the hotel than in Pudoung area. Despite mixed reports in various travel forums I have always found rooms and facilities to be excellent and staff very welcoming and helpful. Hotel has several restaurants and a bar but these tend to be quiet as, given location, most guests prefer to eat out.

• solopes's Profile Photo

Best Location

It’s impossible to find a better location to the hotel, right in Nanjing road, halfway from the Bund and People’s square, both at walking distance.

It’s impossible to have a complaint about the room or breakfast, all deserving the five stars.

We had no time to test other facilities of the hotel, the only slight disappointment being dinner.

We had a light dinner, and paid… too much. I remember that we were not in the best mood at the time, but the menu was… frustrating, and didn’t help.

• NEW SOFITEL CLUB ROOMS

It is refreshing to go back to this hotel to see it has done a complete renovation and the new lobby is fabulous. Friendly & helpful concierge, housekeeping staff was great. Bed was really comfortable with the fluffy duvet to get a good sleep. The buffet at Mosaic was extensive.
    Value for money and wifi is available from the lobby.

Directions: right on Nanjing pedestrian street with shopping, and many restaurants.

• ChadSteve1975's Profile Photo

The Prime Hotel Location Shanghai

The Sofitel Shanghai is on the Mall. Forget anywhere describing itself as near bund, 5 mins from bund etc. Sure the Bund is important but the mall is king. And of course where does the Nanjing Mall lead to, the bund of course.

I stayed here for 3 nights in August 2006. The hotel in the past was given an absolute pasting from reviewers and well I want to set things straight. These reviews are usually old and from about 2002/2003 or so.

The hotel. It looks rennovated in most spots. They were still in the process of rennovating one of the restuarants while I was there but you wouldn't have guessed but for the fact they had a sign redirecting those interested in dining there.

The rooms are big and the cleaning staff very efficient. I had a look at the facilities. They seemed fine. The foyer was nice.

Alas I also didn't eat here. With so many choices so close I didn't have the chance to.

The negatives. I asked for a non smoking room. Alas it was not. And then the airconditioning was on overdrive. Whoa was it chilly. I'd have to flip the thing off at night to warm up.

But for the price I paid (1000 yuan upto 1200 per night) it was great. Look for the specials around especially on their own website.

• ahoerner's Profile Photo

Nice location downtown

Although we have not stayed in this hotel, but it was one of our first stops in Shanghai, while looking for some information, city maps and fresh water.

The lobby is very elegantly decorated and staff is very friendly.

Unique Quality: Its location is its great quality: just on the Nanjing street, the large pedestrian street downtown near the central square and near the Bund and a step away from Pudong.

• lexnrena's Profile Photo

The Hotel Sofitel Hyland is...

The Hotel Sofitel Hyland is one of the finest in the area $$$$ But their concierge was very helpful.
    They have a Brew House there with good German food. If I am not mistaken, they had an all you can eat schnitzels and beer sausage night.... Thursday I think with 2 for 1 draught beer.

Directions: It is on my map of Nanjing Dong Lu, on the corner of Nanjing Dong Lu and Fujiang Zhong Lu.

More about Sofitel Hyland Shanghai

Hotel on Nanjing Road

by gogonicetrip about Sofitel Hyland Shanghai

The Sofitel Hyland Shanghai is ideally located on renowned Nanjing Road, the throbbing heart of Shanghai. within walking distance of business and commercial district and major tourist attraction.

Superb hotel, great rooms, fantastic location!

by TripAdvisor Member BoysInNY

We settled on the Sofitel Hyland Shanghai after evaluating a number of options for our winter holiday vacation to China. We knew we wanted to be centrally located (it is 15 min walking distance to the Bund, in the HEART of shopping and site seeing, and very close to the subway) and also stay in a luxurious and relaxing hotel. Look no further, the Sofitel Hyland is it!

You can get to the hotel from the airport via taxi for about 145 yuan (takes about an hour). This is pretty cheap (in fact taxis overall are very cheap and we recommend them) and it is probably best to arrive via taxi. Going back to the airport, however, you will want to take either a taxi or subway to the famous Maglev high speed train station in the city that gets you to the airport in about 7 minutes. It is a tourist destination of its own and actually even cheaper than a taxi.

Most of the action of the city (in fact all of our trip) was West of the river. There are things to do East of the river (e.g., like the big TV tower) but we do not recommend staying over there, you can easily get there and back. There are nice hotels there, the famous one I think is the new Park Hyatt. Anyhow, the Sofitel Hyland is in the absolute center of the city, on the famous Nanjing Shopping Road. We happened to be there on 12/31 and the New Year's celebration occurs at the front door of the hotel -- this gives you an idea of it centrality.

We contemplated a lot about whether to spend the extra money on a Club Sofitel level room and decided in the end to go for it -- we are glad we did! While the entire hotel has been renovated, the Club Sofitel rooms are a tad nicer and they offer you access to the lounge which was really really great! In the morning, the lounge offers a nice free breakfast buffet, in addition to a pretty broad menu that you can also order your favorite breakfast foods from (e.g., eggs, pancakes, french toast) -- these are free as well. There are 3 computers with free Internet and you have dedicated front desk staff in the lounge as well. The lounge is relaxing, you can go there any time of day. If you are jet lagged, like we were, having the lounge is great because it is a place to go early in the morning and relax. In the evening the lounge offers free appetizers and cocktails -- both were yummy and we went there every single night pre-dinner, meeting other guests and talking to the staff.

The room itself was extremely comfortable. It was new, stylish, a nice size, and had all the amenities we could want (except an iron, although for Club guests you get 1 free pressing). The shower had a neat window that looked into the room (you can close the shades though). Our room was on the 24th floor and had a reasonably good view.

We did not eat the hotel restaurant, so no comments there. We did find the staff to be overall very helpful and had a nice mix of locals and Sofitel managers from abroad.

You can always step right outside of the hotel and be in the center of it all, even late at night. You can catch a taxi very easily with the help of the hotel staff. Always have your destination written in Mandarin, though, as most people do not speak English, particularly taxi drivers. The hotel has a very helpful card with its name/address in Mandarin in addition to the names/addresses of famous sites nearby.

We highly recommend this hotel -- it is a very relaxing place, and fantastic for business or pleasure!

great base in shanghai

by TripAdvisor Member ZONIC

Stayed 4 nights at the Sofitel Hyland. Great central location on Nanjing Rd., within walking distance to the Bund, Renming Sq., etc. Subway station's just a short walk away. The room I had was quiet and very comfortable. I found the hotel to be a great value for the price. An ideal base for looking around Shanghai.

The full briefing - Operation 3 days in Shanghai

by ChadSteve1975

Okay. Okay so you've probably has this before but.. I have 3 days in Shanghai at the start of August. I've booked to stay at the Sofitel Hyland. Is that good? It's a bit more than I wanted to pay at around 1300 chinese yuan a night. Should I keep to this booking? ( I value hotels via position, and proximity to the sights or nightlife. Sofitel Hyland looked good on the map)

Meanwhile which airport would I be flying into? I've heard only 1 of the airports is an international airport.

And once I have arrived. Whats a good plan of attack. A 3 day itinerary. Any suggestions? I'm thought of going to the mueseum, walking the bund, shopping, perhaps a chinese massage. I would like to mark off some cliche things.

Travel agent suggested a day tour of Suzhou (I think it was called that)? Some traditional water town. Is this possible without a guide for a non-chinese speaking person? How would I go about getting there down to the minute details of purchasing train tickets.

I am meeting a friend of a friend local there. She will show me bits of Shanghai on her days off. But this doesn't cover everything. And I need concepts to give her ideas of things I'd like to see. Or things we can skip.

Thanks in advance

by ellyse

For that price, I'd recommend the Radisson New World Hotel instead. I've heard reviews that Sofitel Hyland wasn't really worth the price.
Suzhou is hardly a "traditional water town" now. If you'd like to see an example of that, I'd recommend going to somewhere like Tongli (http://www.tongli.net) or Luzhi (http://www.luzhi.cn) instead.
You should be flying into Pudong international airport, the airport code is PVG.

by redsofa06

Do you have 3 full days? Assuming 3 full days --

Day 1: Do walking trips on the French Concession Area, see Yu Yuan Garden/Shanghai Old Street, then Walk along the Bund before sunset. Cap the night off at Xintiandi with good dinner and drinks in the restored Shikumen buildings.

Day 2/3: Overnight at Hangzhou (day trip too rushed as it's 2 1/2 hours from Shanghai)

by ChiSawGang

Try to get a hotel close to, or on Huai Hai rd. in the French Concession, It's 10-15 minute walking distance to the 3 main bar areas, check Jinchen Hotel as it's in a perfect location. You can get across town by cab for around 3 US dollars, make sure you know were you want to go, because the cab drivers were of no help, even with someone that speaks Mandarin. The museam is a must.

Comments