398 E Beijing Rd, Shanghai, 200085, China

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 34% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• ingopots's Profile Photo

4-star hotel near Nanjing Road Shanghai

You can reach this Hotel from Shanghai Pudong (PVG) airport using public transport. Take the Maglav Fast/Super Fast train to the last destination, exit Maglav station and get the Metro Train (Line 2 - East Nanjing Road Exit) . Tips: Good to get some currency converted to RMB , if possible get some coins too. Hotel is within the walkable distance from East Nanjing Road station exit, but If you are travelling to this location for the first time, get a taxi (taxi driver may not agree to take you as it is a short distance, but keep trying. Good to have a Shanghai map too, you can get it free from Airport).

Stayed for 4 nights: This hotel is convenient for travelers who want to stay closer to downtown and enjoy the quick access to major shopping places and nightlife spots. Area of the hotel property is not so touristy place. Hotel Concierge was helpful and the Check In wasn't complicated. Foreign Exchange was available on the counter.

Room Booked was 'Superior River View" but hardly I can see the river from my room window however the view of the city lights (TV Tower) was magnificent at night (should changed the room name to City View). I found the room clean and the bathroom was well maintained, but some wear and tear can be noticed on the curtains. Rooms are not of big size but it wasn't a major issue as I didn't intend to play soccer inside. The best part was sitting on the window balcony and having wine while watching the city lights. Note: The hotel bell boys are quite friendly and helpful, they even give me an umbrella for free when I was walking out in the rain. Tried the breakfast in the upstairs restaurant , not impressed by the food but the view of the city was magnificent from the restaurant windows.

Yes, I would recommend to someone to stay if they love shopping and having some great night life.

Unique Quality: Close to Nanjing Road, Close to Pudong, Close to Nightlife happening places. Reachable by public transports.

Directions: You can walk through from Nanjing Lu (road) using the alley way next to Apple Store. Not recommended with luggage. Bit tricky but fun to take the route, try the street food on the way.

• edelng's Profile Photo

Excellent Location

This hotel is strategically located. 5 minutes walk from metro station. 15 minutes walk to The Bund or by cab. Cab fare is about RMB14 to The Bund. 10 minutes walk to Nanjing Street Shopping Mall - no. shopping street in Shanghai. There are a few eateries nearby like porridge stalls but the owners speak only Mandarin. There is a famous Yang's Fry Dumpling shop about 5 minutes walk from the hotel. My room was clean and cozy. There are 2 types of internet connection. One of our room is using line connection and the other is Wifi. The staff service was very efficient. We requested for 2 cabs to Nanpu Bridge bus station and both came within 5 minutes. We paid about US$68 for doubles. Additional bed cost 200 yuan more.

Directions: East Nanjing Road Metro Station Line 2, Exit 6.

• HispanicYob's Profile Photo

Very comfortable!

Upon arriving in Shanghai for the first time, I was transported to The Bund Riverside Hotel, located right near the Bund and near Nanjing Road. Upon entering the lobby, I had a great first impression right away and knew this would be a great trip. First impressions are good, especially when traveling, no matter if it's the people you meet or the place you stay at. It can add to the experience. The rooms here were great. Nice and comfortable. The bathroom's were clean and polished. The view from my room was especially great! There were always a stock of tootbrushes with toothpaste, bottled water and lotions and shower stuffs. My only complaints were a couple of things. The beds were a bit on the firm side. Not what I'm used to as a humble Westerner. But I'm sure it's a cultural thing, who knows? And also, the internet you had to pay for, even with a LAN connection. They do have a business center that's opening from 9 AM to about 6 PM. I can't remember the hours off hand now. But other than that, I was satisfied with my stay. Not dirty and the staff tried their hardest to understand you. Don't forget you're in China so English is not their mother tongue! The business center can also mail postcards for you if you have some to send off. There was also a choice of a local cuisine restaurant and a dining area on the top floors that had a good buffet breakfast with some dishes changing daily. As for exactly how much a day, since this hotel was included in my travel itinerary price, I didn't have to pay the flat rate when I got there. It's best to consult the official site for exact quotes.

Unique Quality: The lobby was really swanky and in my opinion, very upscale. A nice place to relax. It also gives great views on all sides. The view from my hotel had a bit of everything, a sight off Nanjing Road to the southwest and the Bund from the northeast. This made my stay. The Western-style dining area on the top floors also gave great views. A nice way to start the day while eating some breakfast! It was in a favorable area as it was close to the Bund and Nanjing Road. A unique concept for me was the way to turn the lights on and off. There's a slot near the door inside the room where you put your hotel key card inside to turn it on. When you want to turn it off, you remove it and it shuts down everything. I also had to do this at my hotel in Beijing I would find later.

More about The Bund Riverside Hotel

My start in Shanghai

by HispanicYob

"Layover in South Korea"

For all of us travellers, you all can relate how badly and how quickly you want to get to your final destination. It never fails! You want the overpacked and crowded flight you're on to hurry up and get there. Because you can only do so much in a 12 hour flight. Watch the in-flight movies, eat the TV dinners, listen to your I-Pod and play your Playstation Portable, and even kill time in the bathroom so you don't have to deal with the people next to you. My layover in South Korea was fast approaching, and I was anxious!

"Arriving in South Korea"

Finally we arrived. I made sure to get out of my seat and proceed out. I didn't have to go through immigration. But I had to go through another security check. I guess now that I look at it, it makes sense since you're now in another country. I hate the whole process of removing all your things and laptop. But it's necessary. So no need to whine about it, eh?

"Chinese License Plates"

After leaving South Korea, my plane touched down in Shanghai, China. My final destination and where my trip began. I met a representative from Gate 1 Travel at the airport and went out to wait for my shuttle to The Bund Riverside Hotel. While waiting in the cold, the rep explained to me an interesting thing about Chinese license plates. Unlike in America, registering a car in China is like picking your lucky numbers for the lottery. Since there's so many people and cars, the government limits them. Everyone here wants one. So you pull a number and then you register. Something like that. It's lucky to have numbers that are the same. Especially 888. Because that's really lucky. They're also expensive if you want those particular numbers.

"Good morning Shanghai!"

Well, after crashing almost immediately from my long flight, I awoke to immediately have breakfast before my departure on my first tour around Shanghai. After a pleasing breakfast, I walked around the restaurant and was greeted with some great views. I expected Shanghai to be big, but when I saw it first-hand I was overwhelmed! It's easy to get lost. Everything goes on forever.

"Out and About"

On a brisk early spring day, we took our first excursion out to Yuyuan Gardens. The walk wasn't too far where our bus driver dropped us off at. We went under a big paifang (Chinese-style gateway) and walked along little alleys until we got there.

Very interesting sculpture this was.

"Nostalgic for the old"

After our brief tour of the Yuyuan Gardens, I departed with a very nostaglic feeling for the China of old. Pagodas, pavilions and rickshaws. A lot of people have this stereotype of China it seems. I don't like to follow stereotypes too often. I expected it somewhat, though. In today's China, it's more about commercial development. Although they've done well to preserve their heritage.

"Paper cutting"

After our endeavors at the Yuyuan Gardens and eating a very interesting lunch, we went to see how locals spend their time at a local community center. This place was designed mostly for the elderly so they don't feel so lonely at home while the younger generation works and plays. They was different things here, from an internet center to a little library to classrooms that had classes for the deaf and learning English. A busy place it was! We were taken in a classroom, and to our surprise, were invited to partake in the traditional Chinese art of paper cutting. The color of red is used quite often in China and is a symbol of luck. You see it in the lanterns and other objects. We used red paper to make our cut, a Chinese character which means "happiness". I ended up making what my tour guide jokingly referred to as "double happiness" due to my first two attempts at trying and goofed up the cut. This was a nice way to close off my first full day in Shanghai.

Bund Riverside Hotel and area

by RJayne

We'll be in Shanghai in mid-June and are staying at the Bund Riverside Hotel. Would appreciate a review of the hotel and any information regarding things to do in the vicinity. We'll be searching for wholesale jewelry distributors while in Shanghai and Beijing.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

RE: Bund Riverside Hotel and area

by mc92374

I stayed there last week and was not impressed. The neighborhood is not great, but you can get to Nanjing road in about 5 minutes, or to the Bund in about 10. The room was not as clean as I prefer, though it was very spacious and the view was very nice. The staff was not real friendly with the exception of a couple of the bellmen. Personally, I will stay elsewhere on my next trip. I had lunch at the Park Hotel (aka: international hotel) near People's Square. The food was wonderful, and the hotel is the oldest in Shanghai and is actually at the official center of the city. It's worth wandering inside just to take a look. I haven't checked prices there yet, but I would definitely like to stay there on my next trip. I'll post some photos when I get a chance!

Comments